ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: The red-hot start for the Houston Rockets

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

[Chron] Patterson determined to exceed rookie promise, aims to win MIP
Tags:  2012, basketball, blog, daryl morey, defense, houston, houston dynamo, houston rockets, kentucky, las vegas, lockout, most improved player, nba, patrick patterson, playoffs, preseason, soccer, summer league, toyota center, training, training camp Tags
HMMMHMM is offline Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Quote:
Patrick Patterson sat up on a training table at Toyota Center, but he was not there for therapy.

It was just a good place to catch a soccer game on cable after the day’s workouts.

He glanced down at his right ankle, rotating it as he has thousands of times. But he was not working through the pain that had troubled him for years, instead enjoying the new sensation of being pain-free.

He was a month removed from postseason surgery, not quite back to full strength. But he had more confidence and felt better than he has in years, better than he did last season when he regressed from the promise of his rookie season.

Patterson, 23, finally had his long-planned ankle surgery before last season, but his rehabilitation cost him all of training camp, forcing him to spend much of the lockout-condensed season catching up. When the season ended, he had another surgery, this time to remove scar tissue from the previous procedure.

“How I feel compared to previous years is a lot better,” Patterson said. “I got all the scar tissue and gunk out of my ankle. My range and my mobility, just the feel of my ankle, is more comfortable. The pain I felt throughout the years has totally gone away. My ability to move and slide and jump on the court feels free.”

Patterson, a 6-9 forward/center, had been told when he had the initial surgery last August that a follow-up procedure would likely be necessary. He would not cite the pain when he struggled last season, deciding he had battled it for so long — his rookie season and final two seasons at Kentucky — he could play with pain.

Suffer in silence

“It was just my problem,” Patterson said. “There are a lot of guys in the league dealing with their own injuries. I didn’t want to be one of those guys that put his business out there.”

But now pain-free, Patterson expects more. At coach Kevin McHale’s suggestion, he has remained in Houston to sweat through workouts at Toyota Center during the day and the occasional Dynamo game at night. Patterson said he plans to go through summer camp next month and join the team in Las Vegas for summer league. He’ll play in games if that’s what the coaches want.

“I feel great,” Patterson said. “I got the surgery out of the way. I have this month, next month, the whole (summer) camp, the whole preseason camp to prepare. I should be back to my rookie form and better.”

Patterson made 55.8 percent of his shots as a rookie, showing quickness and explosiveness at the rim and on defense. But in his second season, he was largely a jump shooter, making 44 percent.

According to basketball-reference.com, he made 61.4 percent of his attempts inside 10 feet as a rookie. Last season, he made just 47.8 percent of his attempts inside, with five fewer dunks in 12 more games.

“I procrastinated so long with the surgery last year, and then … not doing the things I needed to do to prepare myself for the season last year, I think that took a toll on me,” Patterson said.

Several goals set

But Patterson feels so much better he has set goals for his third NBA season. Averaging 7.1 points and 4.2 rebounds through two seasons, he said he is aiming to average 13 and seven, help the Rockets reach the playoffs and win the Most Improved Player honor.

“He’s really focused,” general manager Daryl Morey said. “He’s coming in every day. We expect a lot from Patrick. He feels a lot better, and he’s really working hard.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocket...ookie-promise/

Sponsored Link
TEXNIFICENT is offline Old 06-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
TEXNIFICENT
TEXNIFICENT is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodTEXNIFICENT is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32178
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMMHMM View Post
Forgive me if I yawn. Looking at the playoffs, we've got a LOOOONG way to go before we're relevant again. Mediocre players like this guy isn't going to get us anywhere. So who cares about Patterson's excuses?

HR Dept is offline Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
HR Dept
Contributing Member
HR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneHR Dept is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: May 2012
Member: #50944
Patterson is going to be a DAMN GOOD pf. In the near future, 13 and 7 will be a bad night for him.

I accept no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the info provided, unless that info is subsequently confirmed in writing. And even then I will still not be held liable. The content of this post is based wholly or partially upon: Fact, Fiction, or Opinion and any specification as to: which, when, where and how or any combination of the aforementioned is and will remain confidential. If I have offended you do note that i do not care.

ROXTXIA is offline Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
ROXTXIA
Contributing Member
ROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereROXTXIA is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Apr 2000
Member: #1409
And yet, who gets sent to another team next year?

One of the few things McHale will admit is that we need athletic bigs; our wings can handle the bulk of the scoring.

Scola, Ppat, Dmo.

I want to believe in the youngsters, would like to trade Scola (I like him, but...) It's just....we don't really overall match up well in the 4 department against other teams.

Wishing Ppat well, but how will our 4-5 situation shake out?

cdastros is online now Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
cdastros
cdastros is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #7898
He needs to learn how to shoot 3's.

TEXNIFICENT is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
TEXNIFICENT
TEXNIFICENT is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodTEXNIFICENT is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR Dept View Post
Patterson is going to be a DAMN GOOD pf. In the near future, 13 and 7 will be a bad night for him.
The guy plays small.

13 and 7 will be his ceiling.

Pete the Cheat is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Pete the Cheat
Pete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donePete the Cheat is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18897
Pat developed an allergy to glass last year
thats what he should be seeing a doctor about this offseason

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both

I haven't died. Right now I'm drinking a beer and eating fried chicken

BossHogg713 is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
BossHogg713
BossHogg713 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2011
Member: #50044
Just another asset.

HMMMHMM is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
HMMMHMM
Contributing Member
HMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemHMMMHMM is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXNIFICENT View Post
Forgive me if I yawn. Looking at the playoffs, we've got a LOOOONG way to go before we're relevant again. Mediocre players like this guy isn't going to get us anywhere. So who cares about Patterson's excuses?
I agree, but it's the off-season. This is about as news-worthy news as you'll get this time of year.

You may call it excuses and there certainly were other factors to Patterson struggles, but if he can reach the level most of us thought he might reach this past year, that's one step in the right direction and probably all you can hope for at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdastros View Post
He needs to learn how to shoot 3's.
Disagree. He needs to learn how to go up strong and finish with contact.

DreamShook is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
DreamShook
DreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchDreamShook is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Member: #32128
I wish PPat would set loftier goals.

jopatmc is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
jopatmc
Contributing Member
jopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamShook View Post
I wish PPat would set loftier goals.
Should be something like 34 mpg, 16/10/1.5 on 50% from the field and 80% from the line.

Now we have to build a team that can beat the Thunder, Lakers, and Heat.

Raven is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Raven
Raven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRaven is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #6153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg713 View Post
Just another asset.
He was injured, though, so he was just an a,,et.

coachbadlee is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
coachbadlee
Rookie
coachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45147
I almost feel bad for wanting to trade him.

Hey Texans!!! Keep #1. Draft Barr!!!
"Are you kidding me??!! That's your point guard!!" Matt Bullard

coachbadlee is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
coachbadlee
Rookie
coachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the pointscoachbadlee is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Feb 2010
Member: #45147
Quote:
We don't have a long way to go to relevancy. Just need to plug up the holes on the team.

Hey Texans!!! Keep #1. Draft Barr!!!
"Are you kidding me??!! That's your point guard!!" Matt Bullard

TEXNIFICENT is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
TEXNIFICENT
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachbadlee View Post
We don't have a long way to go to relevancy. Just need to plug up the holes on the team.
You're delusional.

apollo33 is online now Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
apollo33
apollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchapollo33 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #39124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatmc View Post
Should be something like 34 mpg, 16/10/1.5 on 50% from the field and 80% from the line.
What is that like Scola's line

For God so loved the world that he gave his second Son, Jeremy Lin, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -Jeremy 3:16
-CH

IzakDavid13 is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
IzakDavid13
Contributing Member
IzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemIzakDavid13 is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2011
Member: #48018
A bad ankle is hard to recover from, and to play on. That being said...PPat, I love ya, I've stuck up for ya, but you played soft last year and were a disappointment.

I hope that you come back focused on being The Beast that we've seen glimpses of, if not, I hope we can get some decent value on a trade.

All due respect mate, if you don't produce then hit the road.

LFE171 is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
LFE171
LFE171 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12686
Winning MIP is a curse. You really don't want to win it. But...can't fault the guy for wanting to improve. Keep up the hard work. Just don't destroy us when you get traded.

LoyalRocket is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
LoyalRocket
LoyalRocket is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2011
Member: #48120
Quote:
Definition of hater if I ever seen one...

valorita is offline Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #20
valorita
valorita is Omer Asik -- working the boardsvalorita is Omer Asik -- working the boardsvalorita is Omer Asik -- working the boardsvalorita is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 2009
Member: #36697
Landry played shortly after he got shot.

Dang I miss Scolandry.