1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Patterson determined to exceed rookie promise, aims to win MIP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 11, 2012.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Most players in the NBA lack dominate post skills. With that said he is already an above average defender, that can shoot well from 15 feet. If he figures out his ankle injury and gets the athleticism he had his rookie season he can be a solid starting PF for the next 10 years. What i mean by solid is a guy that gives you 15 points 8 rebounds.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Why don't you STFU or GTFO or whatever other internet tough guy phrase you want to throw out there.

Patterson is focused and working hard. Guess what? HE'S SUPPOSED TO. BE. The playoffs were full of players that are focused and work hard. Some of which were drafted a lot lower than him and play a lot better. If he was hurt fine, but by his own admission he procrastinated having his surgery and his performance suffered. Now he's ready and he' s going to be MIP. Its just sounds like big talk from a guy who often played small last year.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yawn.:p

4. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

If your expectation is for him to dominant big man, than of course you will be disappointed. However, if he can become a solid shooter and rebounder, then he has real value in the league. Brandon Bass seems like an apt comparison, and he was an important player for Boston team. Haslem is another guy he could compare to. He can't be the primary scoring big on a team, but he can definitely relieve pressure off other primary scorers. Championship teams need guys like that. He just needs to be more aggressive on the boards and defense, and hopefully getting fully healthy will allow him to do so.

1 person likes this.
  5. JD88

JD88 Member

17 and 8 by year 6 is a realistic goal I think. Also that will probably be his ceiling.

Who knows, I gave 3 examples who had rough seasons when they first got into the league, only to go on and be all-star's.

13 and 7 wouldnt be unheard of this year, and every team needs a 13 and 7 guy.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Don't let him keep you away, that's why there's an ignore list.

At any rate, PPat definitely has the tools to be a serviceable bench forward. Those may not be stars, but they are certainly an integral part of the team you want to build. I'm not expecting much from him except that we will see an increase in his effort level on the court.

Some of you should remember 'frustration is a result of expectation'.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I feel this is the year that Morris and Patterson both need to take a huge step forward. I'll excuse both players' last season due to circumstances. But Morris needs to at least show he can be a solid 6th man in terms of scoring off the bench, while Patterson needs to be a two-way player that plays tough and aggressive on both sides of the court. I don't mind if he doesn't put up the stats if the Rockets trade for Gasol or another PF. But he has to show that all-around ability that the Rockets loved coming out of the draft.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Undersized PF is undersized.

9. dmoneybangbang

Doesn't mean he can't produce.

10. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

"6-9 foward/center."

11. hahachui

hahachui Member

PP can only get 5 rebounds even if playing 30mpg

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Just a comparison, but if Patterson is undersized then what the hell is Thomas Robinson?

PPat - 6' 8" w/o shoes, 6' 9.25" w/ shoes, 240 lbs, 7' 1.25" wingspan, 8' 11" standing reach
    Robinson - 6' 7.75" w/o shoes, 6' 8.75" w/ shoes, 244 lbs, 7' 3.25" wingspan, 8' 10" standing reach

(http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1xXwU6BhX)

In my opinion, Patterson's injury and rehab had much more to do with his struggles last year than his measurables. Next year he'll rebound like Brian Cushing, and everybody will be slamming DD for being wrong. Nothing new there.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I used to think he maybe can become milsap,yet I doubt if he becomes brandon bass. I mean bass will get a rebound in traffic and go right back up and rip the screws off the rim. Paterson gets the rebound and head fakes,pivots, and throws up a baby hook. When you're smallish at pf,you need explosion. I didn't see it as a rookie and didn't see it last yr.
    What's funny is people give him a pass,yet they crushed brooks who had a busted ankle and cme back to play during the season. Funny that works.

14. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

I remember him showing some explosion his rookie year. But that seems but a distant memory after last year.

15. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

patterson is overrated here. i got flamed for this a year ago but he is not our pf of the future. Basically a poor mans scola (can shoot but no low post game).

16. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Hahah remmeber how well Patterson played when he started.

I hope we trade him, and another team with a "decent" coach uses him the right way, and Patterson.. Jeremy Lin's us.

I will be laughing so hard, if this guy plays up to his potential on another team( After all its not like its never happened before with Daryl Moron running things)

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Daryl Moron isn't behind the bench. He didn't control how Lin was used here, nor would he in New York.

18. cod

cod Member

At this point it's not the talent that's the worry. This was the third time he's had surgery on his ankles.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I dont. I don't ever remember him getting the ball in traffic off and offensive rebound, then going back up dunking the ball like carl landry,brandon bass,or milsap has done. If you're 6'8 ish playing the 4,you need explosion unless you're 7 ft.

20. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

He is useless unless he can grab boards or score down low. Without this he is just a Jarred Jeffries with a jump shot.