1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Patterson determined to exceed rookie promise, aims to win MIP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 11, 2012.

1. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

This upcoming year is a make, or break season for Patterson because I think if he continues his past season's stats, he won't be around. I think he realizes that if you don't improve in the NBA, the NBA will swallow you up with the next player. If McHale wasn't coach, he would of probaly go back to UK country and enjoy his connection. One thing he needs to improve is his post up play and rebounding which he wasn't good at. I think with no lockouts this year, I expect to see improvements on our big men. This offseason is not offseason for the Rockets.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Next year is team option. He'd better show some kind of improvement or he'll be looking to play somewhere for anything.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I made a darn CF social group promoting Patterson, and I called him the worst player on the Rockets last year. No matter if McHale mishandled him or gave him too much trust, he was one of the worst rotation bigs in the league last season.

In his 13/7 projection, if Patterson says I'm going for 20/10 and comes up short, he'd get WAY scrutinized and bashed for talking "junk". I wish he had higher goals too. But what SOUNDS good and what ACTUALLY happens as a result can be 2 different things. At least he didnt say 10/5, or I wouldnt miss him if he got dealt at the trade deadline.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So yeah, fans think emotionally instead of rationally. Not a big newflash.

(Though what I didnt get there wasnt the Brooks bashing, it was bashing Adelman for being too "loyal" to Brooks. It was supposed to be - yeah starting point guard for 2 seasons and only point guard to win a playoff series for Rockets in 15 years, DONT come back - NO MORE CHANCE for YOU. :confused: All abrupt. They shoulda felt bad for coaches having to deal with disgruntled players not getting extended their contract year. Sports isnt like regular business, but still everyone hates their stingy boss all the same. )

Then fans crushed on Lowry for the same.

And if Jeremy Lin stayed, it'da been "Y U No Play LIN?" fans secretly hoping Dragic/Lowry fails so their guy gets a chance.

With Patterson, the context is a bit different cuz there's divided tankers and non-tankers. Its easier to be apathetic when you don't want the team to win to begin with.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Let's be a little more realistic. Patterson was our best two-way rotation big last season and he was dealing with injuries. He was our best paint defender by far, until Camby arrived and you could make the argument he was still the best defender after Camby got here.

I am surprised at his goals. It appears to me that he is already conceding the starting PF slot to either Scola or Motie and is expecting to get around 25 minutes a game. 13/7 with good defense would be very productive in that role.

Personally, I was hoping Patterson would replace Scola in the rotation altogether last season. But that didn't happen, probably because the trade fell through and Patterson was coming back off injuries.

I am beginning to sense however that perhaps the Rockets view him as maximized out as the third rotation big on a contending team and I'm wondering if indeed that is his ceiling. In my opinion for Patterson to move to the next level as a 4 in this league he has to establish himself as a quality three-point shooter or a very good low-post offensive player. He needs to expand his offensive game beyond being a pick-n-pop 4. I did see him establishing good deep low post position and receiving the ball but he was not effective with his handle nor passing out nor getting the shot off. If he could make this piece an effective part of his game, he could be a serious game-changer.

A big IF.

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Yes, PP is someone that is a mystery to me. I can't see him regressing any further, but I have absolutely no idea what his ceiling could be. The players around him will make a big difference as well, not only in the minutes he can earn, but also in the combination that help/hurt him on the floor.

More than anything, I'm hoping D-Mo comes in and does well, and we resign Dragic. I could see him working well in a lineup with those guys.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would have to disagree with that. Im pretty sure he's the one player I know exactly who he is, and he seems to know exactly who he is. Which is where his value truely is.

This guy is going to be a solid big in the league for many years, but he's not someone that can dominate the game on either end of the court. He knows this, the Rockets know this, and the fans will soon know this after a few years. Thats where his strength is. He knows who he is, and what he has to do to help his team win. He plays hard, defends well, and does what his coach asks of him without complaints.

I think he's a solid player that any coach would love to have in their rotation, but Im not sure he's a great fit for the Rockets at the current stage they are at. We keep on coming back to Yao in our "what if" conversations, but this is the type of guy that Patterson was born to play alongside.

I think Patterson gets another half season with the Rockets, but I wouldn't be shocked if he is traded by the deadline in February. If he's still on the team its more than likely because their front court depth has been depleted through trade or injury.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Totally agree. However, I also agree with jopatmc that he needs to expand his offensive game, either as a spread 4 or a low post threat. He also needs to rebound better. It's a mystery to me how Jordan Hill could be a better rebounder than Patterson.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if he and Donuts can play together on the floor, or will McHale even try that.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think you are overestimating PPat. He is very flawed for a POWER forward. He has no POWER game. He is "solid", but he does nothing special. To add on he doesn't do much on offense in terms of creating anything or getting to the line. He hasn't shown much of an ability to rebound either. Also, his ability to be solid goes out the window when he can't hit his jumper. He isn't exactly a difference maker on defense either. He just looks like he is because of what we are used to seeing on defense with Scola.

I hope he can improve next year, but he is going to need a lot of work. And I'm just not sure he will ever be a tough defender and tough rebounder that the Rockets are sorely missing at PF.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The most recent example of how valuable a guy like Patterson could be is Brandon Bass. The Celtics would have been up s**t's creek without that guy against the Heat. He consistently put up double digit point efforts and directly led to a fantastic JVG tirade on how terrible Orlando Magic mgmt was for trading him for Big Baby.

To me Patterson has all the skills of Bass. Just needs to put them together with some confidence, and he will be an important contributor to a contender.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Bass is leading your team you are not going anywhere, Brandon Bass is a role player that has been bounced around more than a 4 year old in a bouncy castle.

If that is all PPat has in him, then we need to trade him while people still think he has upside.

DD

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't think anyone's asking for Patterson, a 14 pick, to be the best player on any team. Or to even be second fiddle. But if he can be a valuable contributor on a championship contender, then you hold onto that.

For instance, I have more confidence that Patterson can be a rotation player on a championship team than I do Kevin Martin, Sam Dalembert, or Chase Budinger. It's the defense and ability to make you pay for leaving him open that will cement his role on a winning squad.

13. Pete the Cheat

I see a lot more Milsap than Bass in PPat. I believe Milsap suffered through a similar softmore slump, as well...

14. dobro1229

Brandon Bass hasn't bounced around because he's a bad player. Actually its the opposite. He's a service for hire. A known commodity. There is nothing wrong with that. Actually quite the opposite.

Like Bass, Patterson might find himself switching teams quite a few times in his career, but he's still going to have a very long one that pays off financially as well.

Much more than guys with alot higher "upside" that cant find their way on the court because they dont understand their role.

If certain moves are made, I could see Patterson having a nice long career with Houston as well, but right now as the roster stands I think it would be justified to go ahead and try to move him around the February trade deadline. That is assuming D-Mo can chew gum and walk at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Paul Milsap?

16. dobro1229

I wish. Paul Milsap actually can score in the post.

17. Pete the Cheat

something he developed over time. Milsap didn't make the leap to scoring threat until last year (10-11), his 5th in the league

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Patterson could still emerge as a Horace Grant like player. A four who can consistently hit jump shots and play aggressive defense is hardly a bust for a #14 pick. I thought he played without much poise last year, but I don't think we should dismiss the possibility that he can show the form he had in his rookie season.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The Brandon Bass/Horace Grant comparisons make a lot of sense to me. And IMO that is not a difference maker. Good player...yes. Difference maker...no. PFs that can shoot the 18 footer at about 47% aren't difference makers. Sorry.

Milsap?? I can only dream of Patterson showing that kind of quickness off the dribble and the multi-faced offensive game that Milsap has. Milsap run the pick and roll. He gets to the rim and finishes. Patterson runs the pick and pop and the pick and pop only. Just not the same.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Horace Grant was way better than Bass, he was a starter on a championship team, while Bass is a journeyman player - who is about 8th in any decent rotation.

Again, if PPat only has that in him then he is not worth what they are paying him and they should trade his ass now.

DD