ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner
Clutch is offline Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
-- The Rockets tried to work a deal for 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 in an effort to get one specific player. My hunch was the #2 pursuit was to get Kanter, even over Derrick Williams. That was wrong -- it was for Jonas Valanciunas.

-- Brandon Roy all over again? Talked about this before the draft and hearing that was how it played out: Rockets had a scenario in place with Detroit at #8 for Bismack Biyombo and Charlotte swooped in to make the deal with Sacramento at 7 to get Biyombo. Same spots in the draft where the Foye-Roy-Gay issue happened in 2006. Yahoo! had reported Charlotte moved up there to get Tristan Thompson... if that was the case, then obviously Biyombo was next on their list.

-- Apparently the Rockets almost made a deal with the Golden State Warriors for Andris Biedrins tonight, which shocked me (he's owed a lot of $$ I believe). I don't know any details beyond that but look for more in the Houston Chronicle from Jonathan Feigen.

-- Rockets really like Motiejunas' post game. They feel his post moves are very, very good. Still more of a projected player, 2 years down the line, but they like him. They had good intel that he was going just before them at 23 and they jumped up to get him.

-- Sounds like Jonny Flynn is a distant third on the depth chart at PG (which I guess surprised me). They feel he will need to prove himself here, that Lowry-Dragic are clear 1-2.

-- Rockets felt Chandler Parsons was a first round talent all the way ... he was in the mix at #23. They were motivated to buy back their pick at #38 when he was available there. It was mentioned that he would be the third tallest SF in the league next year (haven't checked that).

-- Here's Daryl Morey on going more offense than defense ultimately in the draft and second video: Morey's take on Kevin McHale's impact/role with the team so far.

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Sponsored Link
ansfjs73 is offline Old 06-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
ansfjs73
ansfjs73 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9773
Clutch.. Do you know how high was Morris on Rockets daft board ?

desi tmac91 is offline Old 06-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
desi tmac91
desi tmac91 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously gooddesi tmac91 is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #31938
Good stuff Clutch. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Outlier is offline Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #4
Outlier
Outlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansfjs73 View Post
Clutch.. Do you know how high was Morris on Rockets daft board ?
I want to know this as well. And i want to know which other small forwards they rated higher than Morris if there were any.

Chuck_Ferrari is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #5
Chuck_Ferrari
Chuck_Ferrari is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2011
Member: #49028
Biedrins.....interesting. Wonder what the rest of the proposed deal was...

Another Brother is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
Another Brother
Contributing Member
Another Brother is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAnother Brother is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAnother Brother is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAnother Brother is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAnother Brother is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAnother Brother is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneAnother Brother is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Sep 2001
Member: #3149
Thanks Clutch!

T FOR 3!!! is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #7
T FOR 3!!!
T FOR 3!!! is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodT FOR 3!!! is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
I want to know this as well. And i want to know which other small forwards they rated higher than Morris if there were any.
I 3rd this...

Dancing Fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xbXz..._order&list=UL

iconoclastic is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
iconoclastic
iconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the pointsiconoclastic is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26097
Wow I didn't know Morey liked Jonas that much.

kaleidosky is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #9
kaleidosky
Contributing Member
kaleidosky is James Harden -- racking up the pointskaleidosky is James Harden -- racking up the pointskaleidosky is James Harden -- racking up the pointskaleidosky is James Harden -- racking up the pointskaleidosky is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3592
great info. I've been hoping for Biedrins personally, though I know people think I'm stupid for it. Obviously depending on what has to go back, but I love the rebounding and shot-blocking--especially on a team with multiple options and depth (so we don't need to worry about his foul issues too much--just use him for what he is)

ClutchFans 2013 Fantasy Baseball: 3-Teams per Owner Champion

cod is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #10
cod
cod is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecod is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46952
McHale seems to indicate he sees Budinger and Parsons as similiar type of players in the video below. Could this mean Bud is on the trade block?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=206134

Carl Herrera is online now Old 06-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #11
Carl Herrera
Contributing Member
Carl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldCarl Herrera is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2007
Member: #22691
The "near misses" are always a possibility when your team is aggressive pursuing opportunities-- a good numbers of them won't pan out, and a good number of times somebody will make an offer that trump yours in the mind of your potential partner. It's just a fact of life.

The only way not to have any misses is to not try.

cod is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #12
cod
cod is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finecod is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46952
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclastic View Post
Wow I didn't know Morey liked Jonas that much.
I had a hunch he was the Rockets no.1 target:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/chec...011_02_09.html
Brad Newley, Lietuvos Rytas: 6.8 ppg, 4 rpg, 36 3P%

Arturas Karnisovas: “Brad changed teams this year again. He’s playing at the highest level of competition overseas, which is the Euroleague. He’s actually playing for the same team I played with when I was 16. I’ve followed him all this year. They made it to the top-16.

Rocketfanatic2 is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #13
Rocketfanatic2
Rocketfanatic2 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43061
Thanks Clutch, great info. I'm a little surprised they were so interested in Jonas. Also, if they thought Parsons was a first round talent, then it sounds as though we got a steal.

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." - Vince Lombardi
"The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club wont be worth a dime." -Babe Ruth

Outlier is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #14
Outlier
Outlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boardsOutlier is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Herrera View Post
The "near misses" are always a possibility when your team is aggressive pursuing opportunities-- a good numbers of them won't pan out, and a good number of times somebody will make an offer that trump yours in the mind of your potential partner. It's just a fact of life.

The only way not to have any misses is to not try.
Okay, Michael Jordan.

BimaThug is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #15
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #359
Clutch, is your intel on Flynn being the clear #3 PG based on anything other than Morey's comments in his press conference? Because, listening carefully to his words, it sounds like what he meant to say was that it would be tough to take minutes from Kyle or Goran (in the sense that those two guys are competitors who will fight hard to keep their minutes), not that Flynn wasn't going to get the opportunity to earn minutes ahead of either of those guys.

While I clearly expect Lowry to be the starter next year, I don't see why Flynn wouldn't at least be given the opportunity to compete for the primary backup PG spot with Dragic in training camp.

***Subject to trades.

I may even say something worthwhile at some point.

Clutch is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #16
Clutch
Administrator
Clutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldClutch is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #1
Bima -- it's more than the press conference, but he'll definitely have a chance to compete -- he's just coming in as the #3 and I think they recognize he hasn't played well. I'm sure if he outplays those guys he will earn it, which is what I meant by "They feel he will have to prove himself here."

"My kid's asleep. I've eaten dinner. I'm ready to get on ClutchFans." -- Ron Artest

Rockets4279 is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #17
Rockets4279
Rockets4279 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 2007
Member: #26507
Morey seems to know a lot about all these players in drafts. This is something we all know he evaluates carefully.

ch0c0b0fr34k is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #18
ch0c0b0fr34k
ch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodch0c0b0fr34k is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2008
Member: #30747
Nice, I'm also interested in the Rockets' projections of players.

MrButtocks is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:34 AM   #19
MrButtocks
Contributing Member
MrButtocks is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMrButtocks is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMrButtocks is Omer Asik -- working the boardsMrButtocks is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: May 2005
Member: #16215
I don't understand the Biedrins interest. He's constantly injured, on a big contract, and even when healthy plays just like Dan Gadzuric.

Houston_Rockets is offline Old 06-24-2011, 03:57 AM   #20
Houston_Rockets
Houston_Rockets is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2010
Member: #46196
Flynn will surprise a lot of people, he will get mins, because the guy has heart, and coming off the bench, energy guys that can turn around a game in 5 mins are needed, plus the change of pace. Not dismissing Dragic tho.

I still don´t buy the possibility of having 15 rotation caliber players, some trade will happen before the seasons starts, I say this all the dam time

Great work Clutch, nice info

PeACe