1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Dirt: Near trade-ups, Biedrins and Flynn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2011.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think his defense/rim protection and rebounding is what has helped Dallas the most, the 'oops are just the cherry on top. With Lowry he may not have scored as much, but the impact would have still been significant. Which is what I am hoping Biedrins would provide, should we pursue him.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dallas getting Chandler was a risk, given his injury history (96 games played over the previous 2 seasons), but he had an expiring contract. Biedrins has 3 more years on his deal. As has been mentioned, taking on salary like that given the current labor crisis (and it is a crisis!) would be a risk. Does Morey (and Alexander) think it's a risk worth taking? We'll have to see.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yes, I agree. I was only comparing them as players. Their contract is what makes the situation much different.

Although, while everyone here understands the risks of taking on that 3 year deal, I believe there is also risk in passing it up. Opportunity cost. Given all the risks and circumstances is why we even have a chance at this guy to begin with. If we pass him up, we may not get a better chance at someone who could potentially be a starting caliber C.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Haven't we already gotten our answer? I don't think we would have made an offer for Biedrins if we weren't willing to take on his salary. The only question is how much we are willing to offer -- but I think it should be clear the Rockets are willing to take on his contract under the right deal (Thabeet/Hill?).

5. raining threes

Agreed

Haywood's contract is even longer than Biedrins though.

If you think Biedrins can somewhat turn his career around and stay healthy you do the deal. I think he will be a solid C for the next 3 yrs. He's young enough to do it. The question how much talent/$$$$ wise are you willing to pay to get the deal done. If I'm going to have to take a chance on Biedrins contract I'm not going to give up alot of talent also. Thabeet and Hill seems about right. But if they were willing to throw in Tyler I probably would throw in Bud.

This would add Biedrins for a few yrs and give McHale 3yrs to tutor Tyler. (I really like Tylers talent level and believe he's worth the risk.) I dont know if all of the salaries match though.

You're the king of the cap though and thanks for being able to explain the complexities of the cap to a simpleton like myself. LOL

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

How many games does this team win?

Lowry/Dragic
    Martin/Lee
    Morris/Budinger
    Scola/Patterson
    Biedrins/Hayes

I'd say about 50 games with Morris as a 12PPG rookie. 55 games with Morris as a 16PPG sophomore, with Montiejunas starting to contribute a little. A contender if Morris ever becomes a star player, Montiejunas develops into a key rotation player, and maybe a few more additions/consolidations.

Of course, with that lineup, we could also go the route of trying to trade Biedrins, Scola, and Martin for D. Howard + contracts. Selling them on the whole 3 starters on a playoff team like we did for McGrady. If Howard somehow singles us out as his destination.

#226 CXbby, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  7. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'll pretend you asked me.

I'd want more than Biedrins, and I'd overpay.

I respect Morey's M.O., though, which is to wait until somebody will trade us a center at a good price. Or until we can get one in the draft. As a fan, though, it drives me absolutely nuts. The way he's going, it might be 2-3 more years.

8. vick

vick Member

You need to sign Biedrins. I am tired of the layup drills the other team does in the fourth quarter. When the game is close in the fourth quarter they either shoot over Hayes. or its a layup.Morey please do something.

1 person likes this.
  9. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Biedrins was that dude on defense when he played for Golden State. Hope we get that biedrens if moved to Houston

10. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Rockets are the only team in the league who has a better bench then their starters.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dallas effectively mitigated its risk in acquiring Chandler by consulting with the trainer of Team USA who got to know Chandler during the 2010 FIBA World Championships. The trainer of Team USA, Casey Smith, is also the Mavs' trainer.

He would've looked great in the Rockets Red this past season :(

Too bad our trainer wasn't on the staff this year to give us the inside scoop!

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very interesting. Cuban doesn't miss a trick, does him? Maybe happy coincidence, but the man's team just won a title. Thanks for the info and yes, he would've looked great in Rockets Red. :)-

Are we certain an offer was made? And lord, do we really want a center that shoots around 50% from the charity stripe? Chuck finally got decent (for Chuck) after years of being awful (and a former coach's staff should get some credit for that, with a tip of the hat to Chuck for his hard work!), and we want another liability (from the line) at the 5?

13. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

The contract is what told me it wasn't a Morey deal. If Morey is going to overpay, it will not be for a minor player. I would be somewhat surprised to see him overpay for a Nene or Bogut.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. I just don't see Biedrins as the kind of center that Morey will go "all in" to get, and taking on that contract is closing the door on the Boguts and Nenes that would actually be worth that kind of dough. Heck, worth more than that contract.

15. rju1986

rju1986 Member

I like the draft day and trade splash. Dedinitely going to be.. 'interesting' next couple seasons- whenever they decide to start things back up again that is. Too early to tell and has "to be continued" written all over it. Feeling like a soap opera..

Gotta show love nonetheless.

16. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I must be missing something cause I dont remember Biedrins plaything d.

17. cod

cod Member

Jerry West works for the Warriors now. Daryl Morey should not be even talking to their GM because of this.