1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting to know Marcus Morris - Your new Franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 23, 2011.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yea. That's right. You better believe it.

For the Rockets tonight, everything has changed. I would like to introduce you to the new face of the franchise: Marcus Morris.

You should know plenty about him since I have been bombarding the BBS with info on him leading up to the draft. But since misinformation is still widely evident, I think some of the things bears repeating. After all, a proper introduction is warranted for someone you will be seeing a whole lot of in the coming years.

As a power forward, Marcus Morris is undersized, has a short wingspan, with subpar athleticism, and can't block shots. While skilled, that is just enough to earn you the "versatile" tag. Which is just another way of saying, "We don't know where to put you." You add all that to an upperclassman who only came on the scene his junior year, and you have your recipe for why he was available at 14.

Only problem is, he isn't a power forward.

Playing at the prep charter Apex Academy, Marcus was almost exclusively used as a wing on the perimeter. Gifted with the ball handling of a guard, he was often called upon to bring the ball up like a PG. Only upon arriving at Kansas, and under the tutelage of Danny Manning did he start to develop in the post. After improvement each year, and biding his time behind a deep team with multiple NBA prospects, he finally molded himself into one of the most elite post scorers in the nation this past year. Unfortunately for him, that success has clearly made a few NBA teams forget where his roots lie.

You see, as a small forward, Marcus Morris is massive, overpowering, and a complete bull. His underwhelming wingspan and shot blocking is less blatant when playing on the wing. Meanwhile, his post game is accentuated and could result in true mismatches all over the court. Most importantly of all, Marcus plays a triple threat game that only the stars in the league possess. One of the most efficient and productive scorers in college, he does so in the post, off the dribble, pull up, off screens and any and every way possible. His passing ability and court vision is extremely underrated, and will surely surprise a lot of folks. Meanwhile, his dribble drive is very effective due to his range out to the NBA 3, and his advanced ball handling.

As a small forward, he is a top 5 talent in the entire draft. And one of the true impact players that a team can build around.

As someone who has clamored to trade up to grab him, even if it cost one of our veterans like Scola, it is nothing short of stunning to have him drop into our laps. Today, 6/23/2011, the fate of the Rockets have changed. And I am not bull****ing you. This is a coup that makes up for the disaster that lost us Brandon Roy. In fact, that is exactly the caliber player we have just acquired.

What I see in Marcus Morris is a similar career trajectory as Roy: a late bloomer in college, heralded for his all around game, yet master of none. Without elite athleticism or physical measurements, but dominant with skill.

As a player, I see him as a heavier Paul Pierce with a much better post game. A less talented Carmelo with infinitely more toughness and commitment to team and winning. A healthier and more complete Caron Butler afforded with a great situation, a great coach staff, a great supporting cast, and every opportunity to succeed.

I can go on and on. I can not adequately express my excitement as a Rockets fan. To me the biggest problem for our team was not a center. It was the lack of a franchise player to build around. Without one of those, there is no clear path to a championship caliber team. No starting point. I resigned to the conclusion that tanking was the only, and easiest way.

I WAS WRONG.

The reason I was wrong is because I significantly overestimated the competence of NBA GMs. The same group of aholes who let Paul Pierces and Danny Grangers slide time and again while reaching for the next big thing with a 40 inch vertical or 7'7 wingspan without a lick of basketball skill. Or hey, for someone who simply haven't even played in 2 years. Yup, not being able to see someone play actually BOOSTS their value.

Nevermind that though, nothing can get me down for this glorious night.

Mark my words:

Marcus Morris will be in the running for Rookie of the Year.

Marcus Morris will breakout his 3rd year in the league, averaging above 20 PPG.

Marcus Morris will be a multi-allstar the next 10 years, bringing a championship to Houston.

If you are a Rockets fan, rejoice. The light at the end of the tunnel is here. And it isn't a train. It's a pot of gold the size of Mount Rushmore.

**** YEA.

#1 CXbby, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    14 people like this.
  2. aumatiya1

aumatiya1 Member

I sure hope so. lol. Doubt it though.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

To be a franchise player, you have to be at least a top 10 player in the NBA. You're telling me this guy will be a top 10 player in this league?

If you end up being right, print out this post, and go apply for a GM position.

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Not a "franchise player" IMO ... But can definitely be a perennial all-star. I really like his skill level.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope you are right CX, that would be great.

DD

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

hmm..what made you so high on him? Are you a Jayhawks fan? Just wondering.

7. t_mac1

He has a lot of talent, but "franchise player" is kind of over the top. This post is eerily similar to emjohn's post about Rubio being a superstar in the NBA.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm intrigued. He was high-usage and high-efficiency in college. He scores every which way imaginable.

Can he guard 3's? Is his dribbling really that good?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Franchise player? Doubt it.

I'm guessing his ceiling is somewhere around Glenn Robinson/Shawn Marion.

But either way, glad to have him.

10. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Well, I'll bookmark this thread just in case. Should be fun to use as a reference, no matter the turnout ;)

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

So if I were to say he's going to a rich-man's Carmelo Anthony or superior Paul Piece, would I be underselling his talents? :p

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

So he has subpar athleticism for power forward, yet he's supposed to guard small forwards?

13. t_mac1

I think Shawn Marion is a bad analogy b/c Morris already has a better offensive game than he does. His all-around game is similar to Glenn Robinson, but he appears to be tougher. I'm very excited about the pick, but apparently not as much as the OP's.

14. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

He has the potential to be a dominant SF in the league. He seems to have the mindset to go out and reach his potential which something common with players Morey acquires. I'm liking the pick as well.

15. lwqbulb

lwqbulb Member

He could be paul pierce like with all his skill sets and I am sure he will do well in the small forward position at his size. There are many big small forward in the nba like lebron, marion so having a big SF for our rockets is good too. And furthermore, he is tough and can back down other SFs and score over them with his skill.

I agree on him having the potential to be a star player.

16. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Physically more dominant version of Tayshaun Prince?

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Not a Kansas fan, but watched him a lot in the big 12 and I agree with a lot of this. You have to play him at the 3. He's a beast at the three!

18. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Great writeup CXbby!

Reading your post has me pumped. The bullying SF is an underrated skill. They can truly dominate games -- see Bonzi versus the Spurs. I think Morris' competitiveness and "toughness" will really translate in addition to what you've said.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm excited. This will be a bigger steal than Patterson.

As a Baylor fan, I'm super excited that he's out of the big 12 and into a Rockets uniform.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You feel the same way about Marcus as I do about Donatas.

feeling really good right now.