1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting to know Marcus Morris - Your new Franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 23, 2011.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't have to watch a sports science video when I've watched 90% of his games. To play the 3 at a high level in the nba, you have to be able to get by players and create space. Now, if he's going to be a throwback like mark aguirre or dantley, then that's another issue. I think patterson has as much small forward in him as morris does if that's the way he's going to play. Again, I like the guy both on and off the court, but he's just a guy with no special skills or traits.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What special skills or traits would you say Melo has over Morris that allow him to create space and get by players?

3. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Why did his brother get picked before him?

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Patterson does not have handles and Marcus does. That is the biggest difference. That is the reason Marcus can play SF and Patterson can't. Not a knock on Patterson because he's going to be a good player for us a long time I hope, but if you put him on the perimeter and ask him to create he simply can't.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

RV6, nothing personal, but you've said a lot of stupid things before and now are you really saying this guy is a Carmelo clone? To answer your question, off the top of my head, Melo's ball handling skills, deep shooting range, quick release, and lighting quick first step, especially given his frame. These are all skills he has that are above and beyond what Morris possesses. I can't believe I even have to explain this for you. Combine drills are one thing, but being able to do it at the NBA level against the best in the world is another. Again, I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

6. leebigez

Are u being funny or serious. There wasn't any question marks about carmello anthony's transition. He was a natural 3 from his handles to his range to his 1st step quickness. Carmello is also a top notch athlete and that's something morris is not.

7. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Jesus Christ dude, I don't understand you at all. I know the Rockets need a shot blocking center in the middle but who the hell was left at the 14th spot that is a good center? All the decent centers were drafted before the 14th pick. I mean just because the Rockets needed a shot blocking center or just a tall center, are they just going to waste their 14th pick and pass up on a good player or best player available and draft a tall center with no skill set or most likely will be a bust just because we needed a center?

Drafting a player to fill a need is almost never pans out. If you know Basketball, you should know that. Most teams always draft the best player available rather than passing up on the best player left just to go after a player to fill a position.

BTW, you probably never seen Marcus played once so before you make any assumption about him, watch him play first. But anyway, I still don't understand people who cries because we didn't draft a player to fill a position needed. When you draft a player, its always the best to go for the best player available and fill your needed position via trade or signing. Anyway, the Rockets needed a Center and a SF and they just drafted the best SF available. We do need a center but right now, Chuck Hayes is better than half the centers we can get right now anyway.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Despite being both taller and 10 pounds heavier than Carmelo, Morris posted identical max verticals and 3/4 court sprints. It is good to know that Marcus is also a top notch athlete. Here I was genuinely thinking he was only average.

9. asab

asab Member

Marcus Morris is an excellent pick, why? We can use him CRUCIALLY at the Small Forward postion he WILL create mismatches and most importantly he is a BANGER and that's what the Rockets need!!! I'm so excited for next season :)

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wasn't implying he was a carmelo clone. I wanted Leebigez to specifically list what he thought set the two apart and i'd go from there to make my case.

Personally, i think the shooting range is equal and so is the release.

I think Morris' ball handling is underrated. Is it as good as Melo's? No, but Melo has had a lot more opportunities to put it into practice in games. Like Morris said in the interview, he was put in a position to play the 4 and wasn't really given a chance to show the skills that make him a 3. I think once he's given a consistent opportunity he'll show it's better than expected AND he'll improve it as he uses it more and more during games. Will he match Melo? Maybe, maybe not, but if he comes up short I dont think it'll be by much.

Now for the last thing, the first step. I agree Melo's is quicker and this is going to be harder to improve for Morris, since you usually just have it or you don't. This is why I don't believe he can be as prolific of a scorer. However, i think he's got a great combination of post game and perimeter shooting that will allow him to score a little bit differently than Melo, so he won't need to use that first step as much. It should allow him to still get around 20ppg.

So again, not saying he's a Melo clone. I just see similarities, obviously because Morris tries to copy Melo's game, but I think he'll end up a better defender (mainly due to effort) and not as good of a scorer.

11. jocar

jocar Member

12. Houston_Rockets

1 - I am not down on Morris, he will be a good SF for us, and I am 100% sure we took the best player available at #14 (at least right now), having said that...

2 - O MY GOD, so, if you are quick, running in a straight line, that means you are quick enough to defends 3s???

Talk about misleading people into believing what you are saying.

Defending on the perimeter is about lateral quickness, ability to slide, understand and be quick enough to be in position to put pressure on the ball or make the guy think twice about shooting, ability to run threw screens, etc, etc, not running a straight line in fast breaks.

D12 back in 2004, was 0,01s quicker then what Marcus did this year, on the 3/4 court sprint, is he as good defending 3s???

There is a reason Marcus did not do the agility drill, (it was probably is agent), to not hurt his stock, because there was a risk he might not to do as good comparing to other 3s (not saying he would be a disaster)

The point is simple, you thought you busted the myth, instead you busted yourself and you blind love with Marcus.

I donĀ“t care about offense, I think he will have no problem punishing smaller guys, take it to the rim, and get better at shooting the 3 ball consistently. On the defensive end, I love the Melo matchup for example, I think he would do a great job on him because he knows how to play the post, and Melo makes a living out of using his entire arsenal of moves against smaller guys. I am more worried about him chasing around Durant, or Granger, or being able to body lebron denying that 1 2 first dribble that enables Lebron to just bulldoze his way to the hoop.

I also think that now that he will be a full time 3, he will work hard to have a 3 body, and be a quicker player, while not giving up his strong upper body.
    No need to hate the pick, no need to crown him as a King Jr, yet:grin:, just let the man Ball.

PeAcE

1 person likes this.
  13. leebigez

Again, how many games did u watch? Quickness is tight space and explosion in traffic isn't mesured at a combine.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I didn't watch any KU games, but I do know this: If Morris really was Carmelo, he wouldn't have been available at 14th.

The guy can be a good player or a bad player, perhaps even an excellent player, but to say he's comparable to Carmelo at the start of his rookie year most likely just wrong.

15. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I can buy into this. Just watch him play. He has a real nice game already and it's only going to improve. I believe he'll be able to play the SF no problem. Just watch the shots he makes. Reminds me of all star SF's...

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-XBEwjFHDzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

See my reply to Kwame, wasn't a direct comparison, just using it as a starting point to explain Morris' game and/or possible ceiling.

I wouldnt say he's a top notch athlete though, at least not if you're being literal, because that places him next to Lebron and he's clearly not on that level. More than Morris? Possibly, but Melo isn't exactly jumping out of the gym and chasing down point guards consistently. I think the differences in athleticism between the two is a lot smaller than you think.

17. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

this guy reminds me of paul pierce...im very excited about this pick...i think he can be a special player.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

That's a bad start then. ;)

1. I don't see anyone calling him Carmelo. In the OP I called him a less talented Carmelo. Several others have only compared the style of their game. I think anyone with eyes can see that he isn't exactly Carmelo. Personally I think he is closer to Paul Pierce.

2. Having said that. If people really thought Morris was Paul Pierce, he wouldn't have been available at 14 either. Then again, if people thought Paul Pierce would be Paul Pierce, Paul Pierce wouldn't have been available at 10.

The fact that he was available at 14 really doesn't mean ****.

#118 CXbby, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  19. Outlier

Outlier Member

Folks... This is the superstar we have all been waiting for.

20. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I was one of the first posters out of about 20 posters who were upset and disgusted who said i like the pick.

He will be solid i do believe.