1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting to know Marcus Morris - Your new Franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 23, 2011.

1. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

Mental masturbation is addictive!

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I wasn't comparing him skill-set wise with Marion, just overall contribution level.

Morris isn't as athletic as Marion, but his offense is definitely more polished.

Glenn Robinson is a more apt direct comparison for sure.

3. kevtse

kevtse Member

is he better than Mike Harris?

4. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Guys, let's not pussyfoot around with the definition of "franchise player".

Whatever.

He will be the best player on a team that will legitimately contend for the title. Obviously not as a rookie but down the road.

When the parade is marching down main st and the 3rd banner is being hung up, Marcus Morris's mug will be the one on the billboards.

That is my definition of a "franchise player".

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

They all could pan out. Including Parsons.

Feeling really really good right now.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

As a Jayhawk fan, I am skeptical he can guard nba 3's. I have great confidence in his post game however. He brings a repertoire of post moves rarely seen anymore. I would say his ceiling is David West, of course if he develops that much, we hit a home run.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

I am a big fan of Patterson, and a first day supporter, but this is not even in the same hemisphere.

Patrick Patterson has a chance to be a terrific role player. Someone who averages a double double with fantastic defense, playing in the league for many years.

Marcus Morris is the centerpiece that you put your Patrick Pattersons around.

2 people like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'd rep you again CX but it seems I can't do that anymore. LOL great over-the-top write up for Marcus Morris. I think he'll transition to SF really well. You know who he reminds me of? Beasley...with defense and not a pot head. The nice thing about is Donatas is a perimeter oriented C...so we have a post player SF, a Dirk on center and a complete player in Patterson manning the PF spot. Mismatches galore if you ask me.

1 person likes this.
  10. cdastros

cdastros Member

Marcus Morris as an athlete is like a Chuck Hayes. He is not going to jump through the gym, but he has quick feet and good lateral quickness.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Bingo.

I trust Morris can handle the 3's of the Western Conference.

He's a smart defender, and that's half the battle.

(insert GI Joe music here)

1 person likes this.
  12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Man nobody said this about Dwayne Wade, and he went quietly at #5 in 03, after leading Marquette to the Final Four.

The OP must really be willing to bet his house over this kid.

13. luisantonio1014

is he the white Budinger?

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Still don't understand where OP's confidence in Morris comes from. Jayhawks fan? Fan that watched all his games since high school? Family friend? His agent? :confused:

15. DtJohnKimbell

DtJohnKimbell Member

Its not like small fowards are the most athletic players on the court or anything. I want u to name some unathletic starting small forwards so I can know who this guy can actually guard in the NBA

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

You think this is consensus opinion? You don't think I know this all sounds like a pile of horse ****?

I'm cool with that though. Dwayne Wade was a special talent before he set foot as a Heat. Marcus Morris will never be on the level of superstars at that caliber, but he is good enough to be the best player on a contender. If people can't see that now, it isn't my problem. It will be plainly obvious in due time.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Think he's just excited because the guy does have a lot of tools.

Moreso than other players that some people wanted like Kawhi and Biyombo.

You don't get many guys who can take guys off the dribble, shoot the 3, shoot the mid range...AND post you up. If he learns how to use all of that effectively (the mental part of the game) than...I can definitely see him being a 20ppg guy and that is usually a all-star quality player.

That's why i'm not so mad at picking him over Leonard.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Your definitions confuse me.

Franchise player... to me, that is what Dwayne Wade is.

The way you describe "franchise player", that is just whoever is the best player on a team at any given time.

Marcus is good, but he's not "build your entire team around him" good.

If his face ends up on a championship banner, it will be accompanied by some other Rockets. (think the '04 Pistons team)

19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Over-rated player that cries a lot, he's a p***y. Horrible pick by the Rockets. The Euro is OK, and Chandler is another wasted pick. The Rockets did nothing to address their gaping hole in the middle but instead drafted another player that is a horrible defensively on the wing and addressed it by drafting a white slightly taller version of the same player 20 picks later.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Good post, Cxbby - I saw where you were angling for both Marcus AND Donatas pre-draft. I suppose your riding a pretty big high right about now.

...I gotta say I was impressed pre-draft from what I had seen on him. The only thing I didn't like was his position at PF but if Houston thinks he could be a SF, then he really could be a good fit there if they can improve his quickness to guard NBA slashers. I thought at very least he could be a second unit scorer - watching videos of him, he has a remarkably consistent stroke. Sometimes I wasn't sure if I had just watched the same video over and over - his shot looked so similar each time. He also seems like a fairly smart guy and I like that in a player - one of the reasons I like PPat.

I'm kind of excited to see how he turns out. Too bad we won't get a look at him in the summer league this year....