1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 reasons I hate the Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mollamar, May 24, 2011.

1. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

I am becoming a little dismayed at the amount of overt or implied love I am seeing around these parts for the Mavericks. Part of me wanted to chalk it up to perhaps new fans since the Yao era who don't harbor as much interstate animosity for the city of Dallas and therefore its sports teams. But then I thought about it and I realized that within the Yao period, I can find many reasons why my own hatred of the Mavs has intensified. Thus, I (re)present my top 5 reasons for hating the Mavs. [And I know that there was a similar thread from 2007 here (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=138184) so I am sure I'll get merged if needed. Thus, save the "merge this thread" or "lock" comments. The mods do their jobs. You don't have to.]

My top 5 reasons Yao-era reasons for hating the Mavs:

5) Jason Terry airplane motion when he hits big time open threes: If you can watch that little self indulgent dance and not remember him absolutely killing us in 2005. We got beaten 116 to 76, people, in a game 7 where we had Yao and McGrady. I hate Terry for reminding me of that sickening feeling everytime he makes a big shot.

4) JET: By the way, Terry, you get a nickname by being awesome at something. Kenny was the "Jet" because he had them, not because his initials spelled J.E.T. So please pick a new nickname. You could actually claim some very cool ones, like perhaps "3-ball" because you are good at shooting them and it implies that you actually have, um, 3 balls. Or 6-shooter because you are a sixth man with a great shot and it reminds people of "Pistol" Pete's nickname. In stead of slapping your "jet" wings after a shot, you could hold three fingers in front of your man parts or fire your shooters in the air or something.

3) Dirk's hair: I remember last season, it must have been, the first home game I went to was Rockets V Mavs. I literally spit out my drink when I saw Dirk's highlights. I'm not talking about his basketball ones, I'm talking about his hair. Unless you are sporting a throwback Dr. J afro (see: Moochie Norris ca. early 2000's), no one should be talking about your hair.

2) Dirk's sneer: Remind me, when Dream blocked your shot into the upper decks, or juked you out of your shoes with show and go pivots and ball fakes, do you remember how he celebrated? By getting back in transition into position in the post or D-ing up, that's how. Sometimes he raised one finger in the air to point at a teammate who enabled his most recent basket, but that is about it. When he tipped in the rebound of a missed Drexler finger roll at the end of regulation in Game 1 of the 1995 finals to send the game to overtime, he hugged his teammates (or literally carried one of them on his back).

1) Being better than us during prime Yao and McGrady years: Perhaps this is a corollary to the first reason, but while the Rockets were exiting the first round, Dallas was going to the finals. While we were winning 50+ish games, they were winning more. For the better part of the most recent era where the Rockets were contenders, the Mav's were simply better than the Rockets. I will never forgive them for that.

Did I miss anything?

2 people like this.
  2. Mr. Space City

i'll say it again, dirk is a great player but i hop the heat mop the floor with the mavs

f*** dallas

3. Mr. Space City

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I only need one reason: They play in Dallas.

5. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

6. SunsRocketsfan

you just hate them because you want to hate them.
    Any true Rockets fan would love to have those players in a Rockets uniform.

7. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I too hope Dirk, Terry, and Cuban never win a ring. I don't like the Heat, but they're the lesser of 2 evils. I wish the Thunder or Bulls can get back in it and meet in the finals.

8. mollamar

Correct. I would root very loudly for those players if they were on my team. But they aren't. Also, I'd still find Dirk's hair annoying (just like I think Scola's looks greasy all the time) even if he wore mustard and catsup. And I'd probably call Terry three balls if he were on my team.

9. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

1) Cuban - hate owners that try to buy a championship, hate his eccentric nature and his constant whining to NBA execs about how Mavs are always getting screwed

2) Dirk - hate his flopping and crying (get the f*** up, stop crying, and get back on d), hate that he doesn't have the balls to be a true leader (getting owned by warriors in round 1), hate his softness and complete lack of defense

3) Fans - 2nd only to jazz fans in terms of being a-holes, sore losers

4) Jason Terry - hate his smug look, his display of arrogance when he scores 12 points, hate the stupid jet thing he does

5) The City - home to the Cowboys, f*** em

10. mollamar

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol @ hating a basketball player because of his hair. I hope you're a female.

Some of you find some of the silliest reasons to hate on someone.

12. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Mavericks had nothing to do with the Rockets losing to Utah in Game 7 in front of the Toyota Center crowd.

Michael Jackson said to look at the man in the mirror and ask him to change his ways

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Let's not forget to hate the other teams who've won more than the Rockets in the Yao/Tmac era.

The Lakers
    The Spurs
    The Heat
    The Pistons
    The Celtics
    The Jazz
    The Suns
    The Magic
    ..etc

15. mollamar

By the way, I really should correct this. I don't think if Terry were traded to us today that I would be able to root for him. It would be like Rafer's tear drop floater -- even when it went in (those 3 or 4 times) I still cringed and hated the shot. It would be that way with Terry. As I said before, (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5578317&postcount=217), "I'd gag if I ever saw Jason Terry in Mustard and Red doing that pterodactyl twin prop airplane 747 landing heavy futbol celebration."

16. mollamar

Moderators, can I please have the ability to edit my posts activated? I'd like to fix the carriage return spacing in the OP. Thanks

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I like the Mavs and I'm rooting for them to win the championship now that Shane's out of the running.

Obviously, my loyalty lies with Houston before Dallas and I often have unkind things to say about Dallas. But, does that mean I should root for some non-Texan team before the Texan team? No way. Houston first, Texas second.

I do agree about Terry's recycled nickname. And Cuban can be pretty annoying (though I have to respect how he's taken a perrennial doormat and turned it into a perrennial powerhouse). And Dirk's sneer is annoying. But, I can't manage to dislike Dirk either. As for hating them for beating us or being better than us -- why single out Dallas when there's been plenty of teams like that since 1995?

2 people like this.
  18. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

so i dallas your 2nd favorite team in the NBA?

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Remember we truly disliked the SuperSonics back in the day..

Oh wait, they are now OKC and we like them!:rolleyes:

20. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

(repped)

Over 30 years of watching the Rockets...you know how much hate can build up in that time? I don't know and don't care to find out. I'm going to watch the Rockets for another 30 years and I don't need the hate following me around.

And like JV said, Houston first, Texas second. And I'm also rooting for the Mavs.