1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's really the downside to having a new, young coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Apr 15, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Basically what will happen to the team will lie somewhere in between the following extremes.

Absolute Best Case: He coaches as well or better than Adelman.

1. The Rockets get a "coach of present and future"
    2. Pay less money. Money that can go towards other ways to better the team.
    3. Will work better with Morey in terms of player development aspect that a veteran coach like Adelman have trouble with.

Absolute Worse Case: He turns out to be a horrible coach who'll be let go at the end of the year

1. The Rockets gets to "tank".
    2. The Rockets gets to TANK.
    3. The Rockets gets to TANK.
    4. The Rockets can even trade their veteran players to help out the tanking without getting fans pissed off.
    5. The negatives that come with a bad coach, namely players regressing, can easily be remedied by inserting a new coach in 2012(See Del Negro and Thibadeou). And that's an extreme case. Besides, a lot of player development is contributed to organization outside the head coach.

Let's face it. The Rockets are no better than a 1st round exit regardless of what happens. Even if we hit the jackpot and get a future all-star in the draft, it's unlikely said player will be an all-star in his first year. And 2012 is an oh-so-perfect year for tanking.

1 person likes this.
  2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

meh..

1 person likes this.
  3. liljojo

liljojo Member

Whoopee, we get to tank.

I love watching my basketball team tank. YAY FOR LOSING!!!!

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tanking = decreasing the value of the Rockets players = Stupid.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

1. Tanking is a horrible thing. The point of playing is... (wait for it)...WINNING!
    2. Once you have players, you need a good coach. Unfortunately, most of them are snapped up when you finally get that player.
    3. Tanking is for losers. Period. (needed to be mentioned again)
    4. Good luck finding a "good-as" coach like Adelman. Simply put, coaches of his caliber are very hard to replace. Look how long it took the Kings to find a decent coach after they fired Rick. And Westphal is nowhere near Rick's level.
    5. I could care less how much we have to pay a coach. It doesn't count against the cap and even the best don't make anywhere near the money of all-star players. That's honestly, Les Alexander's problem, not mine. His money for the coach, my money for a WINNING product.
    6. Adelman does a good job developing young players, we don't need a new coach for that.
    7. Adelman is not 80, he can coach for a good few more years if needed. At a hall of fame level.

Those are some right off the top of my head. I'm certain I could come up with more if needed.

6. liljojo

liljojo Member

Btw, if you're not losing intentionally, it isn't called tanking.

It's called sucking.

7. PeppermintCandy

Young, new, old... I don't really care as long as it's someone Morey can trust to work with him instead of against him.

Right now the priority should be in getting the star players to build around, and whoever is coaching the Rockets next season should be willing to do whatever it takes to help make that happen.

If that coach is Adelman, all the better. But if it's not, so be it.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You basically said what will happen is NOT tanking. It's going to fall somewhere between of those 2 extremes....so it sounds to me like we'll have a third straight year of winning 40 + and missing the playoffs...no thank you.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You answered your own question.

Anyone who is really a fan doesn't want their team to tank. Ever. Even Cleveland fans will tell you that now.. what good did tanking for LeBron do for them?

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

And they can't be increased once again with good coaching? Or by inserting a young star next to them in the lineup? If players values can decrease, why can't they increase?

Oh, and the Nets had the best package for both Melo and DWill. So how did they manage to do that with their perennial sucktitude over our current group of scrappy but non-losing players?

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

This will likely happen whether we have Phil Jackson, Gregg Popovich, or Vinny Del Negro. Hence, what's the downside of trying someone new?

12. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

...and they still couldn't get Melo and don't have enough good pieces to convince DWill to stay. Oh, and the Nets still sucked with DWill.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Great coaches and young stars just clamor to join ****ing losing teams.

And the future in NJ sure looks bright!

1 person likes this.
  14. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Hey dude, I'm gonna take your quote and merge it to another thread.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

not only that , but when you fire the crappy coach you will have let go of one of the best coaches of all time.

this is a dumb thread, sorry for being so blunt meh, but I think you could have rephrased your doubts or assertions differently.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

thank you,

repped.

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I dont want to see the Rox tank. We'll get a superstar at some point and Morey can find gems in the draft even at 14.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

One downside to adding a new, young coach is that whole chemistry thing.

19. inishi

inishi Member

and the whole, it won't be Rick adelman thing. Screw it I say we get mike brown.

20. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

They have said if they bring in a young coach, he must at least have basketball experience not coaching experience. So if they do hire someone, I hope it's Mario Elie.

The guy deserves a chance and what better way for the Rockets to show loyalty is to bring back one of its own ? He always worked hard and I think could bring back that defensive intensity. The man played with fire so hopefully could spark some fire under these guys.

The downside is of course is it will take years for the team to become great, but that's the case now too. However, with the trust the players put in Adelman my guess is that all the progress we've seen so far from a few players will not be visible under a new coach.

Considering though that Morey might make some big changes to the roster and nobody is untouchable, bringing back Adelman might not be the best thing. There's already a bad relationship between Morey and Rick.

I never want to hear the word tank, how can you expect human beings in competition to purposely lose ??