1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's really the downside to having a new, young coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Apr 15, 2011.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We are toooo classy to tank. I think David Stern will soon take out the percentage lottery and we will be golden.

2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i am completely against intentional tanking. but sometimes, it's nature to lose games to the point you win the lottery if your team and your coach are bad enough.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Link? I'd really like to see the context of that. Because, honestly, I don't believe it. And, I think the Rockets have been blessed with good coaches for awhile and you may underestimate the damage of casting about for a good coach season after season. It's not so easy to just go get a good coach whenever you want. If it was, a lot more teams in this league would be off the coaching carousel.

But, if it is true, what's the upside of getting a new coach? Why not just keep Adelman if the coach doesn't make a big difference anyway? Does Morey just want someone to play the Yes Man?

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

morey seems to have a bit of a problem understanding the line between finding players and how much more different it is to coach them and utilize them in a positive manner.

5. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Are you serious? The Rockets will be the worse team in the league with a young coach. We already don't have enough talent, and sucking for the next ten years is enough "downside" for me

6. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Yao delivered $$$$, which is even better than a championship.
    Francis delivered both Yao and TMAC.

Even Kawme Brown delivered Pau Gasol to Lakers.

High lottery picks are golden. Hopefully, Thabeet could deliver something good for us.

7. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Your right. Morey wants a coach who he can control. Why else could he not see "eye to eye" with a great coach like Adelman. Morey's setting this franchise back and Les won't realize this until win 25 games next season

8. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

First of all, if an employee, no matter how good, is acting counter to management's vision for the company, there's a problem.

Second, I think you have it backwards. RA has complained over and over about the trades Morey's made. It's my understanding that the friction comes from RA wanting more of a hand in personnel decisions

Third, with or without RA, our win total won't sniff the 20's next year unless we suffer catastrophic injuries. The Rockets still aren't a contender, but I'd be surprised if they missed the playoffs

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Introducing your new young coach!

[​IMG]

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The "tanking will kill our players value!!!" argument is really overrated. It may hurt their value a bit, but it's far from damaging.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey has said that a good coach can get you five extra wins and a bad coach can get you five extra losses.

Doesn't seem like he values coaching very much, relatively speaking.

12. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

If tanking is done by only playing offense but no defense, tanking will actually boost the value of the players.

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I thought about this as well, though I wouldn't say this means Morey doesn't value coaching (as much). Ten wins make a big difference.

I also think Morey's assessment is pretty realistic.

Rockets with Vinny Del Negro: 33-49 (-10)
    Clippers with Adelman: 42-40 (+10)

Rockets with Avery Johnson 38-44 (-5)
    Nets with Adelman: 29-53 (+5)

Seems about right, no?

In case anybody's wondering, here's the transcript of the interview Commodore is referring to:

Q: You've got a 45 win team. Can you really be a 50 win team, just by the virtue of having a coach who's just sharper than the other guys?

A: 45 to 50 is really tough. I think if you factor in everything a coach does, the I think yes, that's the case.
    Just on tactics, I'm not sure you can get a five win improvement. I think you can get a five win improvement at a lower level, like you can go from 25 to 30 wins with better tactics, but I do think if you factor in everything a coach does, like take a Greg Popovic or our own coach, if you look at their ability to manage personalities, their ability to inspire players, I do think if you factor in the totality of all that's contributed, I do think a coach can make a difference in the 45 to 50 win range.
    I don't think a coach can make a difference like 60 to 65 for example. I think as you get higher up on the win curve, I think the difference a coach can make becomes more limited. It's just gets harder and harder to get that extra marginal win as you get higher up on the win curve.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It hasn't really boosted the value of many Golden State Warriors outside of their best two players, Monta and Curry. The Rockets still paid top dollar to acquire Courtney Lee and Terrence Williams, despite them having the worst record in the league. I think the whole "bad record = bad assets value!!" argument is something Morey's mentioned in the past that people now cling to as gospel. I think it's certainly a factor, but far from being damaging to player's value.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What happens if we hire A CAT to coach the Rockets?

Absolute best case scenario: he coaches as well as or better than Adelman
    Absolute worst case scenario: Rockets get to tank etc.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, looks like my view may not be shared by the fans, but it's certainly embraced by the Rockets management. I may be wrong in terms of "this may not work out the way I would like". But certainly not in terms of the management's mentality to tan...err.. "rebuild" and "play young players".

This is the problem with many people. It's that they only see things in all or nothing. Player's good or bad, championship caliber or loser, great defender or horrible defender, etc.

In the NBA, the only thing that can truly alter the life of a franchise is a star player. Everything else helps or hurts, but not to a significant degree. Morey's moves these past few years are the shiny example of that. His moves all incrementally helped us, but none of them enough to make us even a playoff team.

So ditching a coach(marginal or no risk depending on the successor) for a chance, even just a chance, at a superstar(franchise-altering improvement) should at least be viewed as taking a risk. Not being stupid.

17. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

1) First of all, if that same employee went over & beyond expectations for that company and yet the company is still unhappy, then it's not on the employee.

2) RA'S job was too win ball games. If the GM's main objective is collecting assets over making the playoffs then I'd complain like RA too

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What's really the downside to having a new GM?

19. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

1) First of all, if that same employee went over & beyond expectations for that company and yet the company is still unhappy, then it's not on the employee.

2) RA'S job was too win ball games. If the GM's main objective is collecting assets over making the playoffs then I'd complain like RA too

3) We have the least talented roster in the NBA. Bringing in a new coach only means the Rockets aren't tryna win anytime soon. Translation: WE WILL SUCK FOR A VERY LONG TIME without a coach RA'S caliber

20. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Adjusting to a new system however these players are professionals so They should be just fine.