1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's really the downside to having a new, young coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Apr 15, 2011.

1. dartherus

dartherus Member

Why would not getting into playoffs would happen?

Did you notice the horrible start this season? Did you notice how Yao's injuries screwed up the planning and the motivation?

Did you notice that the major chemistry killer back then, Ballhog Brooks, is not in the roster anymore? Did you notice how better the rockets played WITHOUT HIM? 70% of victories after the trade deadline, doesn't say at least something to you?

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

What happened in the 2009-10 season? Yao was injured, too and the Rockets missed the playoffs again.

It's going to just happen again, next year. The same excuse will be there. Yao was fully healed but broke his foot, again.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Here's the number one down side to a new young coach, he hasn't grown his balls yet. Being able to make decisions that are bold and unorthodox requires a lot of fortitude. You listen to guys like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley because they have wins behind them. They make decisions that go unquestioned because they have proven they can win. Look at the way Phil antagonizes his players indirectly, through the media. No other coach would get away with that. A young coach might be more focused on keeping his job than trying something new. Like I said in the Les thread, whomever replaces Rick needs to be given the time and room to grow. Basically the guy has to be given carte blanche. My other fear is that we go in a new direction, but still have the demands of a win now management. There has to be a massive philosophical change, not just a new coach. If we are going to go in a new direction we have to do it with full force. The coach and players need time to mesh and there needs to be a greater level of stability, ie less turnover. This players are assets model needs to be softened, not completely eliminated, just softened. Otherwise, we should just retain Rick and let mediocrity consume us.

4. dartherus

dartherus Member

Ballhog Brooks won't be next season. This time got a pretty decent % after such horrible start, WITHOUT YAO AND WITH A 6'6" C, if you didn't notice.

What about the post trade-deadline playing?
    Did you notice how the Rockets played until Scola got injured?
    Did you notice the defeat against Clippers, that ended the good streak? they came with 4 games in 5 days, and still made a great game at Clippers hometown....

Even not having Scola and Lowry in the latest game, Rockets had almost 70% victories post deadline...or will you deny it did happen?

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

What's the upside of having a new GM?

There is potential upside to changing the coach, even if this board acts like it's doomsday. Said upside is quite frankly a lot more than replacing Morey with, say, Danny Ferry.

But my argument of "superstars >> everything else" applies to GMs too. If the next Hakeem is available in the 2012 draft, and for some absurd reason the guaranteed method to get him is to fire Morey, I want Les to fire Morey. No questions asked.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If anyone does not fire Morey in that situation they need to be checked at once because there must be something wrong with them. We should do everything in our power to secure a superstar. Every time I see a superstar traded it aggravates me, I say "why the frick didn't we get him". In truth, it's all luck.

7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yao isn't going to be a $17 mil starting C next year, derp. If you can't tell the difference between a sub-MLE backup C and a max level starting C in terms of how it affects roster and game planning then I dunno what to tell you, lol.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Joe dumars detroit as a city is doing bad financially so the failire of the pistons shouldnt be ayyributed to him, pat riley, motch kuptchack...

Morey isnt the only one out there and any of tje ones above would have far more success luring FA not named ariza or brad miller in. Players dont want wishy washy bull**** or the deceptive negotiation tactics morey uses almost to the extent of a lawyer. People want straight forward answers and a bit of security.

9. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

FA's don't care who the GM of the team is, lmao.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Ditto. Am sick of watching this team barely missing the playoffs. Develop the youngsters for the future and add quality young talent.

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agee.

12. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

Adelman is one of a kind. If management lets him slip away I'm gonna be beside myself. No other coach can run his offense the way he does and can get that much out of his players.