1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's really the downside to having a new, young coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Apr 15, 2011.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who goes into a season wanting to tank? You have to wait until you are like 7-21 then you start to think "Well, it's better for us to lose these games..."

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

YAY FOR AVERAGENESS AND OVERALL MEDIOCRITY!!!!

THATS WHAT WE LOVE HERE IN HOUSTON!!!!!!!!

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Better than being laughingstocks.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Give it a rest and stop just repeating the naysayer talking point. Do any of you think for yourselves? Or do you actually believe fans or the organization itself want to barely miss the playoffs every year? This **** is just a waste of BBS real estate.

Here's a hint, maybe some of us actually think the Rockets shortest path to success is not by trading away solid winning players with good contracts for lottery fodder and then praying for a ping pong ball sequence. I'd be much more agreeable to that if this was a team of 34 year old players with bad long-term contracts who missed the playoffs AND were obviously on the decline. That's not the case. Going into next season the Rockets have two players over 30, and only one making a double digit salary (and barely at that). Their average age will be 26, and their median age is 25. Their three highest paid players are bargains compared to players with similar production.

In addition, we haven't even finished shedding our 36 million in dead weight we've been carrying around the last 3 seasons, and some of you act like the Rockets have already had a fare shot at building this team. Your lack of patience makes me seriously question if you would stick around for the four-to-infinity years it would take to completely start over.

#24 DCkid, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

They were clamoring for NY, which is next door, and a perennial lottery team.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Still can't understand the reason for fans to actually support the idea of "sucking"..........

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What's the difference between a horrible team in the lotto and a good team in the lotto?

None.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Did you like this?

[​IMG]

Remember who got us that?

[​IMG]

Remember how we got him?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

About 13 picks.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Oh, and keeping Adelman will keep the Rockets future so bright I'm going to need to wear shades.

I can't believe it's gotten to a point where Rockets fans are clinging desperately to mediocrity. As if the Rockets will forever be doomed if they win 38 games next year rather than 43(5 games was what Morey said the most difference a coach generally make with the same talent).

NO!!! God forbid the Rockets fall from low 40s win total to high 30s win total.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

amen to that.

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I hope you realize that what you just said can be applied to anything, not just coaching. "Let's package Martin and Lowry to get Rashard Lewis...either we get better, or we get worse! Both would be awesome!!! Woo!"

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

what OP tries to say is that we keep losing due to a young and bad coach not coz we want to tank. but the results are similar.

with ra, i highly suspect this team will be a contender at all. this team will be hovering around being a good team but not great team.

Sometimes a change is needed if you want to a bright future. by doing that, you may suffer. as a fan, i am willing to sacrify my joyness of watching rox beat other teams.

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

no, you're wrong. you're not just go out on street to grab anyone. recruiting a young coach just like recruiting a rookie. you could fail but you have to take the chance.

15. DCkid

That only applies if you assume the Rockets are completely just going to stand pat. Why would you think that? Also, what is the positive in potentially having a bad coach try to teach a team's players?

16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

recuiting a young coach just like recruiting a rookie. if fail, your season result most likely are not going to look good. it's not like trying to get a bad coach. it's different story.

17. DCkid

I understand. I just think the downside of getting a new inexperienced coach is being glossed over.
    1.) You're losing a coach you know is good and could help teach young players.
    2.) If you do manage to make an impact deal, you could be stuck with a lousy coach that does not maximize the team's success as Adelman has.

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i know he is a good coach. to me he belongs to the last generation, like phil, nelson. to some point, he will be in history. if you look around nba, those old generation coaches are gradually existing from the nba stage. we need to get ahead of other teams to be a big player on the stage. it's time to move on.

with our current roster which was built around yao, i believe a roster redo is ahead of us. what kind of coach rox is looking for really trigger my interest. it will define the future of rox and the roster of rox.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets develop young players as an organization, especially with summer league and the Vipers. Even Adelman delegates most if not all of the player development to his assistant coaches. Overall, the Rockets spend a ton of money and effort on young player development. And much of that is not attributed to Adelman, whose focus is basically on winning games.

So? The Rockets won 42 and 43 games the past two seasons. Morey has stated that with bad teams, coaches can add as many as 5 wins to the total, while with good teams, it generally doesn't matter who's the coach as the stars are much more important(i.e. Spolstra won more games this year than Phil Jackson). So suppose we get the worst case scenario, and we win 37 games next year. Are you really going to be horrified at that? Honestly?

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Why is it likely? Will brooks come back and get hurt again? Will we surely start 0 and 5? Will Patterson not play the first half of the season? Will Budinger hurt his ankle again?

I guess it could happen, but it doesnt make sense to assume things will turn out the same way when we had injuries and chemistry issues for half the season. Lee is situated...bud knows how to start.....lowry is better..chuck is better, PP is playing, scola is getting more rest, dragic is solid, and so on. Offense still looks good and defense should improve some.