1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UH vs UT Football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by chocolatebear, Sep 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. chocolatebear

chocolatebear Member

I was wondering why UT plays Rice, but not UH? Isn't UH's team superior to Rice's?

2. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Er....trying to answer this in a way non offensive to Longhorn fans.

They are angry that we played our most recent home game with them in Robertson stadium instead of Reliant.

There were also some issues with temporary seating.

(O.k. I was nice...til the first UT smarmy answer then I troll)

3. DreamRoxCoogFan

can already tell this thread is going to get ugly.

I guess to keep it simple, my understanding is that UT doesn't want to play UH for multiple reasons. 1- Bleachergate a few years back left a VERY bad taste in their mouths. 2- the main reason UT plays in Houston is for recruiting the city's abundant talent. UH is much better than Rice, so why should UT take the risk of playing a potentially dangerous team that could give them a good game and unintentionally showcase UH to those same recruits? The smart play is to play a team that UT can destroy (Rice) in a giant venue (doesn't get much larger than Reliant).

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So UT and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have something in common?

1 person likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

This is basically it. UT was playing UH several years back. Because of the ticket demand from UT fans, UH agreed to set up several thousand bleacher seats. Lots of UT fans made plans to go to the game, and then in the week before the game, UH decided that the bleachers were not safe. UT felt the seats were fine or could easily to fixed, but UH decided those fans simply wouldn't have seats. UT then suggested they move the game, but UH wasn't interested (and I'm not sure how realistic it was that close to game day).

It angered a lot of UT fans who had bought tickets and the way it was handled angered the UT administration. Without knowing what happened behind the scenes, its difficult to say who was in the right/wrong. But at that time, UT admin basically just said no more playing UH.

Lots of people claim the issue with how good Houston is, but when this all happened, Houston wasn't particularly good so that doesn't really have much to do with it. UT is happy playing Rice at Reliant as its the ideal solution for them.

6. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Has nothing to do with 'fearing' the Coogs. They have only become remotely relevant the last couple of years. I think I read somewhere that the AD's dont particularly like one another and it also has something to do with compensation from tickets. But seriously, no top ranked program fears UH.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It is definitely because the Longhorns are all a bunch of prissy little b****es with senses of entitlement.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

1) I thought it was from Bleacher-Gate.

2) It's because Man wanted to go to the Moon.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

They don't play each other in football or men's basketball. I can understand basketball because what Penders did at UT but that douche is gone. It's a new era at UH. New President, AD, football coach, and basketball coach. That ticket happend 10 years ago under a different administration. I guess Texas can say they have "nothing to gain" by playing teams like Houston and TCU.

10. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

who cares, thats like the rockets playing the d league austin toros...

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ejRPhsaDkk8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ejRPhsaDkk8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks baseball strike!

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Has anyone considered that it doesn't make sense for either side?

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

UH was not better than Rice when Chase Clement, Jarett Dillard, and James Casey was on the Owls and won the Texas Bowl.

14. junglerules

junglerules Member

Good point- Texas should probably drop Cal, USC, Notre Dame or BYU on future schedules to play Houston. You know, to shut people up about Texas having a weak non-conference schedule......

Insert your smiley face of choice here....

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

How come UH no schedule UT when UT superior than Texas State

16. duwende

duwende Member

Texas only likes to play with Tier 1 universities.
    /thread

1 person likes this.
  17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

People are too quick to dismiss the Coogs. Sure in years past they weren't that great, but now they've turned it around and are one hell of a football team.

Even last year there were talks of Case Keenum for the heisman. You don't get involved in heisman talks unless you are extremelly good. Now with all that said, I think this year, Case and the Coogs will give a lot of teams a run for their money. Im looking forward to this season. Go Coogs!

P.s. Its easy to jump on the Longhorn bandwagon, but it takes some brass balls to root for your hometown Coogs no matter how they're doing.

2 people like this.
  18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

That game cost us a shot at the C-USA title :mad:

19. chocolatebear

chocolatebear Member

Sorry, I just assumed since UT has a higher football status, so they would have a bigger say on who they play.

I'm guessing UH has to wait another 5-7 years to play UT again.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yeah, no... even I don't know what SMILEY with which to help you... :confused: I'm confused.