1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2nd Round Playoffs] Spurs vs. Hornets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2008.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

This is going to be a good matchup.

Paul vs. Parker
    West vs. Duncan

Discuss.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

spurs got real lucky, with the long needed rest. anyways, i think spurs will just kill hornets because of their defense, and will win in 5-6 games. hornets also have a long rest, but since they are younger than the spurs, they don't really need that rest compare to the spurs.

but i'm gonna root for the hornets. i hate ginobli and bruce bowen with a passion. i hope chris paul just kills parker/bowen.

3. Asian Sensation

Hornets have nobody to stop Ginobili.

Spurs have nobody to stop Bonzi Wells.

I fully expect some more of Robert Horry's heroics.

Spurs in 6.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

true but then

Manu vs ???
    and of course
    Bonzi vs ???

unfortunately the hornets strengths are exactly where the spurs strengths are. I do believe NO has the best player in the series in Paul but when he will have to play defense on parker it will hurt his energy levels on both ends of the court. plus the spurs role players seem to be a lot consistent and experienced than the hornets.

unless bonzi has a huge performance again but I think for him to do well he needs to have the ball a lot which is not the way the hornets play so its like changing their style i dont think scott will do that.

will be fun to watch though thats for sure

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Au contraire, if the Hornets play to their capabilities, they will destroy the Spurs. The matchups don't work well for San Antonio, especially when it comes to stopping the Hornets.

Still, I think the Spurs will pull this out. It's doubtful the Hornets will play to their potential against such a seasoned team in the playoffs. The Spurs have a big advantage in poise and "performance under pressure". The Hornets sometimes crumble when things don't go their way.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

NO is gonna lose. Duncan is in his postseason mode, and if Parker's jumper continues to fall this may be a quick series.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

This series will be up to Manu's performance.

Duncan + Parker <=> West + Paul, Stojakovic <=> Bowen, Chandler <=> Tomas & Oberto

But, Manu is an advantage for the spurs.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The irony is that when we got Bonzi, many people said that he would help us kill the Spurs. Now we traded him away and he has another chance to be the Spurs Killer.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Because he was so on fire during the first round? The Spurs won that series when Bonzi played so well. I don't think they're super concerned about him.

This should be a great matchup. I think the Spurs should be barely favored (especially since the Hornets have home-court), but the Hornets may do enough damage to make the Western Conference finals pretty interesting.

#9 JayZ750, May 1, 2008
    Last edited: May 1, 2008
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hornets in six. I think a lot of you are underrating home court advantage and the total team quickness of N.O.

Chandler is going to massively outplay Spurms centers, and West will surprise you against Duncan.

Popovich is an advantage, but the Spurms only hope (IMHO) is getting in the heads of the younger Hornets. God knows they will try (Bowen, Oberto).

11. Asian Sensation

You're say people are underrating home court advantage yet you think the Hornets will eliminate the Spurs on their home floor in game 6? Unlikely.

I agree that home court is important which is why I believe it's either the Spurs in 6 or Hornets if it goes 7.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You read my post correctly. That's the road game I precict N.O. will win.

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Hornets in six.

14. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Everyone has been doubting the Hornets, I think they can beat the Spurs, afterall they have the HC.

15. uchlha

uchlha Member

spurs sweep

16. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Hornets in 6. After Rockets finish Jazz and Lakers, Hornets are a much easier opponent than Spurs.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Why wouldn't Chandler guard Duncan primarily? I mean, it's Duncan Oberto or Duncan Thomas right? And when Spurs go small, it's Duncan at Center with Udoke, Horry, or Finley at PF.

Tyson has great length that could bother Duncan in the post, and also allow Tyson to play off Duncan further than West could and still challenge the shot. Duncan would abuse West imo a lot easier than he could Tyson.

18. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Everyone keeps writing the Spurs off...

That said, this will be a tough series because they are facing a young, athletic team. That has been a recipe for disaster for most veteran teams (Detroit taking 6 vs. Philly Cheesesteak's and Boston taking 6/7 against ATL).

Paul is going to have trouble defending Parker, however, it's vice versa. Both PGs will be drained by the end of games from having to guard each other. Bonzi can't guard Manu, Manu can't guard Bonzi. Duncan doesn't want to stray far from the basket, but he has to against David West's automatic jumper and David West has no chance of guarding Duncan in the post, Chandler does, however. If Kurt Thomas or Fabricio Oberto don't step up big, that's going to be a matchup problem.

This will be a tough series for both teams, but due to homecourt advantage, matchups and youth/athleticism, I have to give the nod to the Hornets. I still think the Spurs will find a way to win, though...

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The key in this series will be Manu Ginobbli. Hornets have absolutely no one at the SG position that can defend him if he comes to play. The best they can do is Morris Peterson, Peja, or Bonzi. Peja and Bonzi are not going to do much defending and Morris Peterson isn't that great. Manu is too quick for any of these guys and he should absolutely kill them. He is also too big for Pargo if the Hornets play Paula and Pargo at the same time. Hornets best option size and quickness wise might be the rookie Wright but he is a rookie. I expect Manu to have big games against Hornets and that will be the deciding factor.

Can anyone on the hornets stop Duncan? David West is not a very good defender. Chandler can be foul prone. I think Duncan will have huge games against Hornets.

Paul is actually quick enough to stay in front of Parker. The PG matchup will be very interesting to watch. Parker will attack Paul to tire him out on the defensive end.

On the other end, I am guessing Bowen will be chasing either Peja or Pargo all over the place depending on who gets hot. Duncan will be taking on West. I dont see Duncan being outplayed by West in the playoffs. West might score on Duncan but Duncan will score just as easily on him on the other end.

Paul should have big games against Spurs. However, as the series went on against the Mavs, I saw him losing confidence in his jump shots. I think Spurs will crowd the lanes inside and invite Paul to shoot from outside. As for pick and roll....if Spurs can handle Nash/Amare pick and roll I am sure they can manage Paul/West ones.

Manu + Duncan will be too much for Hornets. Hornets will face Spurs playoff defense for the first time.

Spurs take this one.

20. nuggien

nuggien Contributing Member

Homecourt advantage doesn't mean too much in the west. Spurs steal game 1, then win it in 6.