1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2nd Round Playoffs] Spurs vs. Hornets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2008.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think chris paul is making a lot of these guys look good. I think put scola in for west and watch him avg 20 pts.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

like i said, manu is not that special when the playoffs rolls around. he's back to his playoff avg after a good 2-game start.

3. t_mac1

peja was good before chris paul playing with sacto. david west's game is isolation/post-ups (not pick and roll that much) so he doesn't need chris paul.

that's what we need. we need guys that will play well regardless of what teams do to our stars. peja will get his regardless. david west will get his regardless.

but he does make guys like chandler better and others b/c of his court vision.

but he has pieces to work with.

scola would avg 20 pts with tmac in this series too if he had made his layups. scola is learning. tmac makes his teammates just as better but outside of scola, they're not as good.

4. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Scola isn't as athletic, or as strong, or as rangy as West is.

5. FFz

FFz Member

You know... the hornets are a good team. i just wish they would stay classy so it would be easier to watch them.

6. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Spurs interior presence has been lacking.

Tim Duncan +/- is -32. Tyson Chandler is +33. Tim Duncan needs to get it together and put the NO's bigs in foul trouble so Parker and Ginobili can have an easier time penetrating when the shots aren't falling from the outside.

#106 rocketsregle, May 5, 2008
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

mike james! who?

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Mike James! YES!

9. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

OWNED!!!! This might be the end of the Sperms. I'm not counting them out yet, but the Hornets just need to get a split in Sperm town.

10. Air Langhi

David west Avg 6.2 before cp3 17 w/ cp3. He gets points in transition, as well as open jumper due to cp3. w/o cp3 I think he can avg 20 on a bad team. Take cp3 off and team will be lucky to win 30 games. You can't say the same about the rockets.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Spurs are in trouble they look old......I think their time has passed.

DD

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Nah, it's just an even-numbered year. They never get past the 2nd round in those years. :D

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let's get real: Chris Paul makes everyone on that team better. He is a nightmare for defenses. He is their leader in every sense of the word. We can only wish the Rockets had a player with a head on his shoulders like Chris Paul.

On this series: I think Pop has a real problem on his hands. I expect the Spurs to come out smoking in game 3. If the Hornets weather the storm without getting too far behind, uh oh. Seems like it takes the Hornets a while to settle down, but when they do, the Spurs don't have an answer. One of the Hornets blowout wins against the Spurs happened in San Antonio, with the same pattern as games 1 & 2.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

If the Hornets can split in SA, this series is over and the Hornets will move on.

I'm torn, I love the fact SA and Tony Parker are getting owned, but I still think CP3 is still a snot nosed little punk who happens to be supremely talented.

15. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Yes, and too bad for them Parker isn't someone they can build around with.

16. t_mac1

david west was a rookie and played one year without cp3. look at how david west plays. he usually loves to iso in the high or low post. and yes he can also shoot hte mid-range J. chris paul does not help him with any of those. he would score at least 17-18 pts on any other team.

chris paul is an amazing player, but he has more talent that we think right now. peja stroking fallaways and contested shots in the playoffs? their bench stepping up huge? chandler manning the paint defensively?

chris paul struggled with his offense in game 1 and they won big. david west struggled tonight and they won big. thats a sign of a great team.

our stars struggle and we have zero chance even the low tiers

17. Air Langhi

I am not saying david west isn't good, but I think chris paul adds 4 points to his avg.

18. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I am not surprised by the Hornets' play. It's because the Hornets always play that way. The Hornets always come out with a 3rd quarter push, and in both games, the Spurs couldnt match it.

I am surprised at Spur's defense. Among Hornet's big three: CP3, Peja, & West, Peja is the easiest to shut down. But Pop hasnt put a designated defender, like Bowen or Udoka on Peja full-time. In game 1, Parker was on Peja sometimes. What a mismatch! Peja had 20+ pt in both games.

On offense, Tim Duncan looks old. Tyson Chandler gives Duncan fits. Even Melvin Ely does a good job on Duncan. The Spurs couldnt get anything going and started to jack up 3s. The Spurs uncharacteristically jack up 31 3s in game 1 and 27 in game 2. The Spurs wont win if they continue to jack up 3s. That's not their game.

Ginobili played like crap. Manu had more TOs than FGM. TP was no better. Parker was over 6 before he made his 1st field goal.

I agree with other posters, the Rockets can beat the Hornets in a series if the Rockets are healthy with full roster. You guys should know by now what a magnificent defensive scheme the Rockets have on these Hornets.

19. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Spurs look very disinterested, and there was no intensity at all. I wonder why, 2 games in a row, which is very strange. TD was sick in game 1, but he was very limited in game 2 as well. They did defend him well. As other posters said that Manu and Parker played like crap.

On the other hand, NO was very high in energy. CP is a great PG, although I don't him as a person, but winning is more important, and he makes everyone around him much better. Nowadays, you only have a hand full PGs can make an open mid-range jumper with comfort. West was pretty good, but he also gets all kinds of calls. Officials' impact is just too much for today's NBA.

Speaking of guards play, off topic here, Rockets never seemed to have any PG can shoot mid-range jumper with confidence, except for Sam. You see all good teams mix up 3 pointers and 2 pointers. You never see Rockets players pass an open 3, step in for a higher percentage shots, it also increase the possibility for offensive rebounds. I wonder why everyone is shooting the 3 when they are open, is that a must?

Anyways, if the Spurs CAN win next 2 home games, they can still make it.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

So much for the playoffs inexperience theory.