1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Bill Worrell Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shawn786, Nov 9, 2007.

1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

He's been w/ the rockets from ever since I can remember & been one hell of an announcer. I think at one point he was doing the rockets games, astros games, and golf tournaments all at the same time.

I was just a young kid at the time but I can still remember his voice during the championship seasons and how excited he and Calvin would get. Ohhhh how I miss toughs dayss.....

Now a days he's had to work with some pretty odd peoples... A couple coming to mind are Cynthia Cooper, Van Chancellor, Matt Bullard, & of course everyone’s favorite guy Drexler. No matter how bad his opposing announcer gets he always seem it keep it together (thank god).

Anyways this thread is dedicated to the greatest announcer in sports: Bill Worrell.

[​IMG]

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I do love Bill. If I ever met him I'm sure I'd just be starstruck.

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

uh
    no
    tracy with a facey is the worst thing in the nba

bill is sufficient not great

5. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I'm with you. I love Worrell for just the reasons you mentioned. In all honesty, he's one of the very few constants in my life. Since the early 90s, the following things have changed:

The Rockets roster
    The Rockets coach
    Where I live
    My job
    US Presidents
    Iraq War I and II
    From Oilers to Texans
    The kinds of clothes I wear
    My political beliefs
    etc etc etc

The only thing in my life that has not changed, bizarrely, is Bill Worrell. He's my rock.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Two people I'd take a bullet for:

Hakeem
    Worrell

I owe them both for the years of joy they have brought me

7. Franco7

Franco7 Member

Absolutely.
    Bill Worrell is the epitome of class.
    He's the consummate professional. Always stays above the fray, a gentleman indeed.
    He's the anti-StephenASmith.

8. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Not that great an announcer. He was a better baseball analyst than basketball play by play. I'd expect the next person who takes over to do a better job than Bill.

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

You're one hell of an optimist.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes, he's the consumate professional who brings in night in night out!!

But really, he does a great job. When he was with Calvin they were extremely entertaining.

11. OpusX

OpusX Rookie

Yup, I have always liked him!

12. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I don't want Worrell or Gene Peterson to ever retire.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Bill & Calvin were and still are the best commentating duo on TV. Bill is the only reason I can bare commentary from the likes of Van Chancelor, Bullard and Drexler. It's going to be a sad day when Bill leaves the booth. Especially considering that Gene & Jim are leaving after this season. IMO, we will NEVER have PBP guys better than Bill & Calvin or Gene & Jim.

Hell, I remember back in the day when Bill & Cal still did games and I would switch over to different games on NBALP and hear other announcers. I always thought to myself, "Wow these other guys sound so boring." It was like that for every game I tried to watch that was not a Rocket game except for one or two exceptions.

14. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

the truth is, bill's commentary is very biased toward the houston rockets. every foul seems to be on the other team, and our team seems to always be the good guys. but of course, he's just a local announcer, so it doesn't really matter. the Rockets really are the best team anyway...haha. he really has done a good job. Thanks. :D

15. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Are you kidding me? I think he does a hell of a job. Plus I always perfered him announcing basketball over baseball.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

During an Astros' broadcast when Deshaies was pitching for the Astros, the color guy bemoaned the fact that Deshaies was too inconsistent. Worrell countered with this gem:

"He's consistent, just not all the time."

17. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I've always enjoyed his optimism toward houston teams, the players love him the fans love him, there was nothing better than him and calvin together, please let it happen again.

18. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Worrell is terrible.

19. dookiester

dookiester Member

you're terrible. worrell is the bee's knees.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

worrell isn't too bad at all, granted i've really only listened to him the past few years thanks to league pass and r2k's games...he does have a rockets bias of course.

the best announcer i've ever heard is hands down chick hearn. i used to watch laker games just to hear him announce games, i didnt even care who was playing as long as he was doing the pbp. (hey i grew up in LA as a kid the only time i could watch basketball was when the lakers were on tv or nbc was doing games)