1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Bill Worrell Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shawn786, Nov 9, 2007.

1. sparky

sparky Member

Worrell and Current Team or Tommy from Boston and Melo

Worrell is amazing announcer and his love of the Rockets has rubbed off on me. After getting League Pass, it is really obvious when listening to other announcers how good Worrell is. Now, his smooth delivery is better when you add the excitement of Calvin in there, but Thank God he is still here.

When Les suggested a trade of Worrell for a 2nd round pick in 2030, I started to think, how much enjoyment do I get out of watching the Rockets with Worrell and would I trade him. Here is a the scenario I came up with:

Would you trade Worrell with anyone else on the current team for a superstar and a really bad announcer.

The Bad Announcer being that Tommy Guy from Boston and let's say Melo for Ish Smith and Worrell.

Believe it our not I would keep Worrell and Ish. The team wouldn't be the same without Worrell. Plus I hate that Tommy guy, he is right up there with Hitler and Bin Laden.

2. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Should have been Bill & Gene, I could listen to them all day.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I agree GJ is great calling basketball games, especially love hearing him call my IU games, now that he works for the Big Ten. Johnson is absolutely awful calling MMA, it just doesn't work for him.

Qball, Gene Peterson is the gold standard for radio, I get what you're saying about he and Bill, but IMO there is no Gene without J Foley. That duo is unmatched in the history of Houston sports.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We already traded Ish ;).

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Ok Bill just said Lowry was a 2nd rounder -- time to go, Bill.

6. eman

eman Contributing Member

7. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah Bill Worrell is the best. I've always loved him. Obviously I miss the good ole days when it was him and Calvin.

8. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

If anyone could make/find a video highlighting various commentary gems from Bill and Calvin, I would make 10 youtube accounts to like and favourite it.

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

anyone notice he makes alot of mistakes now days? Calls players by the wrong name, somtimes the score too.

10. jets fool

jets fool Member

Kyle lowry wit a cold blooded 3!!

11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Nice observation rook.

Now, back on topic: what is the point of this thread? Are we just celebrating Bill or is he retiring?

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

That the Rockets announcers should be appreciated.

13. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

You obviously don't know what to look for in a great announcer. Your post comes off as ignorance at it's best.

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

In that case, go Bill! =)

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

My only pet peeve with Bill is when he says the "#1 pick by [insert team]." Other than the obvious annoyance that it sounds like he saying the first pick in the draft, sometimes I forget draft picks (especially from 2 or 3 years ago) and I honestly don't know if the guy went 6th or 30th and I'm curious so I end up having to look it up. Would be nice if he just said the pick number. Surely it wouldn't be too hard for them to get that information.

16. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

you could go all day with these gus johnson calls..
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JII37r-5cT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>