1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9 Months Later: #14 Pick of 2011 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Who would have been the best choice with the 14th pick of the draft?

1. Marcus Morris (I'd still take him)

7.7%
  2. Kawhi Leonard

22.0%
  3. Nikola Vucevic

13.7%
  4. Iman Shumpert

3.0%
  5. Chris Singleton

0.5%
  6. Kenneth Faried

21.8%
  7. Marshon Brooks

30.2%
  8. Someone else

1.1%
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's been nine months since the Rockets took Marcus Morris with the 14th pick of the draft. He is just now picking up some real playing time.

While the Rockets may have scored with later picks (Donatas Motiejunas at 20 and Chandler Parsons at 38), this has been a heavily criticized choice, and I'm sure whoever pans out the most will be the one most say should have been picked. So with the power of hindsight 9 months later, put your name on it -- knowing what you know now, who would you take with the 14th pick?

• Marcus Morris ("I'd still take him")
    • Kawhi Leonard
    • Nikola Vucevic
    • Iman Shumpert
    • Chris Singleton
    • Kenneth Faried
    • Marshon Brooks
    • Someone else (please specify in a post)

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Vucevic by miles.

3. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Kawhi. I would take him in a heartbeat

4. jogo

jogo Member

At the time, I would've taken Kawhi. I felt like he was the defensive force that we needed when Battier left. Now I feel like Faried might have been the top choice, especially given our team's weakness for rebounding (pre-Camby?). If Faried is an above average to good defender then that would be the pick (don't know how good his defense is).

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You did. His name is Chandler Parsons.

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

I wan't Morris to get some PT before I make a decision ;).

8. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If we don't take Morris, would someone else take Motiejunas before 20?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

ABM ; )

11. arjun

arjun Member

Surprised there isn't more love here for Iman Shumpert. I think he's going to grow into a very good NBA player.

12. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

While Nikola Vucevic would have addressed the biggest need for Houston the actual best player on this list is Marshon Brooks. Look at the game he had against us and he looks to have to poise and the goods to be a closer of games. I actually went to PC so a little bias is in the argument but from watching him play he has an NBA game and likely other than Kyre Irving and Rubio if considered a rookie the highest ceiling in this years draft.

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

So you're saying it was a sacrificial lamb pick? :) Good question though ... it certainly changes the draft dominoes.

At draft time, I liked Leonard and possibly Singleton at 14, Vucevic and Moteijunas at 23, but I think Kenneth Faried is looking like the best pick now in hindsight. I think in that range of picks you're probably pretty happy if you can get someone that has at least one elite skill, and Faried's terrific rebounding is translating just fine to the pro game so far.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We agree for once !

DD

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I still tend to trust the Rockets decision makers when it comes to drafting and I'm certainly not convinced that MM was a mistake. No guarantee that if we took someone else that they would have gotten any more opportunity for playing time than MM is currently getting.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I don't get why people would select Leonard, knowing him and Parsons practically have identical games. Except Parsons has better handle, can occasionally create plays off the dribble and is a better much better passer. :p

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good poll. I haven't seen a ton of games this year but from the games I have seen I really like what I have seen from Kenneth Faried.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I freaking love Faried. Saw him play when the Nuggets were here earlier this season...man, he plays hard.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Ask again in three years.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not sure i can answer that yet, but as of now Faried looks like the best pick. I don't know how he isn't, his productivity is off the charts...he's averaging almost a double double and a block in only 20 mins a game.