1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9 Months Later: #14 Pick of 2011 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Who would have been the best choice with the 14th pick of the draft?

1. Marcus Morris (I'd still take him)

7.7%
  2. Kawhi Leonard

22.0%
  3. Nikola Vucevic

13.7%
  4. Iman Shumpert

3.0%
  5. Chris Singleton

0.5%
  6. Kenneth Faried

21.8%
  7. Marshon Brooks

30.2%
  8. Someone else

1.1%
  1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Channeling James White, Aaron Brooks, Patrick Patterson, and even a slight minority of fans thought alot of Joey Dorsey.

The line should be fixed from "all-star/star" potential to decent starter, then it may resonate a little more actuality.

Back on topic, Faried, Leonard, and Vucevic will be excellent role players to come. Though, the one who has the potential to be an all-star is definitely Marshon Brooks. He's been cold, lately, but he started the season as dynamo until he got injured.

For this season, I might choose Faried or Leonard by the end, but I chose Brooks for the future.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm not sure, though I'd rather have Vucevic, Brooks, or Leonard. Probably would take Faried over him as well, but I'm so tired of undersized PFs.

3. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

At this point the jury is still out on Morris. He clearly has talent and that step back jumper of his screams star potential. He's seen limited minutes and looks like he is trying to fit in instead of playing aggressively. For now, I'd say you have to stick with him as the right choice.

What concerns me is the lack of fire he's shown on the court so far - especially at the defensive end. I think that is a mark against him with McHale too. I want to see him really hustle and get after it in his minutes even if he makes mistakes.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

MarShon Brooks

Kid is special.

I called Marcus Morris a b!t*h, and got flamed for it. But if I wanted Morris I'd just go and trade Thabeet for Al Harrington. Whereas, MarShon or Kawhi, they aren't as easy to acquire.

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

And btw, what is Marcus Morris good at again? I dunno, scoring? Kevin Martin is one of the most efficient scorers in NBA history.

Morris can't rebound, defend, pass, dribble, nor is athletic. Only thing he can probably do it take his man off the dribble while he is matched up against a goof-head 4 like Emeka Okafor. The guy was obviously a 3 who wasn't even the best 3 on his college team so got moved to 4 while the college talent-pool level allowed him to do so. Now in the NBA, he can't do neither.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Anyone see who Thorpe had us taking in his Rookie Redraft he put out today?

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why don't you share?

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Pretty obvious isn't it? When I click the link and they ask for my money I decline and come here where someone 100% of the time will post Rockets related ESPN insider stuff.

Thought of all places this would be the best spot for that info to be put.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

No it wasn't obvious... I thought you had already seen and were trying to start a conversation. I understand now :)

10. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Ridiculous, Vesely looks like a bust.

11. McRaggize

McRaggize Member

Brooks I think, he is a good backup if we can trade Martin to another team and let Lee to be our starter. And he will probably be a guy that can play big games in the future.

12. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

lol i remember people on here were saying that joey dorsey was gonna be the next ben wallace.

13. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Neither of those guys are anything special

14. Classic

Classic Member

Outlook Calendar reminder went off. Ok No Worries, I'm asking three years and one day later.

Time for an answer. :cool:

2 people like this.
  15. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Would've taken Vucevic, taken Faried later in the round, then taken Parsons in the 2nd round.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I chose other because I prefer Jimmy Butler over Kawhi Leonard. But I definitely would not take Morris. Leonard, Butler, Vucivic, Tobias Harris, DMo, Kenneth Farried, Reggie Jackson and Chandler Parsons are all vastly superior to Morris.

17. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Vucevic easy

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Marshon Brooks? Yikes.

Definitely botched this poll.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I dunno but I remember at the time that draft being sold as one of the worst of the past decade I think due to well know highly projected players at the time (Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones) staying in because of the CBA negotiations & impending lockout.

Turns out it was a really good draft, and impending lockouts actually seem to be a year where international players are drawn to given they might actually be ok with another year of development & pay while their NBA team holds their draft rights till post lockout.

I still don't think the Rockets really truly missed with Marcus Morris. Sure they could have done better but it's not like he was a completely useless player. Had the Rockets not been wanting to move Morris & Patterson to free up cap space, I think especially last year, Morris would have been a wonderful option as a stretch 4.

If 2011 is picked again, I don't think you can say without a doubt, "we should have taken him because he's still on the board". Incorrect.. you can only do a post draft ranking to see who would be left at 14 anyways.

Here's my ranking today-

1. Irving
    2. Klay Thompson
    3. Jimmy Butler
    4. Leonard
    5. Vucevic
    6. Mirotic
    7. Motiejunas
    8. Valanciunas
    9. Faried
    10. Parsons
    11. Knight
    12. Walker
    13. Kanter
    14. T. Thompson
    15. Burks
    16. Markieff Morris
    17. Tobias Harris
    18. I. Thomas
    19. R. Jackson
    20. Marcus Morris

So if the Rockets are picking 14 again, they are probably ending up with someone like Tristan Thompson or the other Morris twin anyways. And they don't get Parsons as a steal in the second round. He's already gone.

So there's not really a point in looking at this other than to say that the NBA was really wrong about this draft, and it turned out to be one of the deepest in recent history. You can't really say "well we should have picked Faried" because if you are playing revisionist history he's gone, and so is your 2nd round steal.

1 person likes this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I picked Nikola Vucevic three years ago and I'm satisfied with my pick. Marshon Brooks... lol.