1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Off-season Priorities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

parents were bird-watching last week at Bolivar Peninsula, had a surprise guest

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Houston Texans Positional vs League Spending:<br>QB: 23/32<br>RB: 12/32<br>WR: 27/32<br>TE: 32/32<br>OL: 4/32<br>DL: 13/32<br>LB: 5/32<br>CB 13/32<br>S: 29/32</p>&mdash; TexansCap (@TexansCap) <a href="https://twitter.com/TexansCap/status/747864124181250048">June 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Are they going by salary for this year, cap hit, total salary???

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Anyone else surprised that no Texan has shown up on the Top 100 players voted by the players list yet? I know Watt and Hopkins will be in the top 20 but I'm surprised no other Texans made the top 100. I would have thought Joseph, Brown, or maybe a long-shot Cushing. Even the Jaguars have more players on that list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Top_100_Players_of_2016

5. Mr. Clutch

PFF also put Lamar Miller in the top 100.

If you consider there are 32 teams, it makes sense that the average would be each team having around 3.

However, if you're a good team I think you should have more, since there are teams that are just bad, rebuilding, going young, etc.

JJ and Brown are getting older and have had injury issues of late. Clowney probably makes the list if healthy.

Truth is I don't think Bill O'Brien has really re-loaded that well. He's been relying a lot on the stars of the previous regime.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not really.

Cushing isn't good anymore, Duane brown wasn't elite anymore before getting hurt, Joseph is good not great and the drop off from there is substantial. Lot of solid guys but not great guys. Jacksonville definitely has more guys you'd call really good players.

I think we've generally gotten everything there is to get out of our talent through good scheming and good fortune.

7. Mr. Clutch

And Watt is superhuman.

Gonna catch up with us though if some of these drafts and free agents don't pan out.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed all around.

We've also benefitted from having a couple of game breakers at their positions over the years in Andre, Arian, hopkins and watt. They sort of combine to overcome mediocrity elsewhere on the roster like Brady has for New England or manning did for Indy all those years.

We need this draft to work out

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

We absolutely need this draft to pan out, as well as Clowney taking that next step in his development. He HAS to start producing at a more tangible level now that he's had a couple of seasons under his belt, and he's seemingly healthy. No more excuses.

10. the shark

the shark Member

So the top 10 remaining (no specific order):
    JJ
    Rodgers
    Brady
    Brown
    Gronk
    AP
    Cam
    J Jones
    Keuchly
    Beckham

11. SK34

SK34 Member

Rodgers will get the Nod for #1.
    Cam and Brown will be top 5.
    Add Watt and AP to top 5.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">60 Days: UCLA K Ka'imi Fairbairn kicked the longest field goal in FBS last season, a 60-yarder in an Oct 22 game vs Cal <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CountdownToKickoff?src=hash">#CountdownToKickoff</a></p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/749641405815861248">July 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Looks like a keeper. Didn't even realize we had this kid.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah it was a really under the radar kind of pickup. Personally I think he should win the kicker competition this season. The kid was amazing in college and anyone with that many letters in their last name has to be good.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My mistake, not his first name but Ka'iminoeauloameka'ikeokekumupa'a Fairbairn is still impressive.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Texans' Griffin has something to prove following injury -

Texans' Griffin has something to prove following injury
    By ROGER BROWN
    New Hampshire Union Leader

Tight end Ryan Griffin is someone who always likes to put his best foot forward, but that would be a difficult task for him right now.

Griffin, a former Londonderry resident who is entering his fourth season with the Houston Texans, is rehabbing an Achilles injury in both feet. He had a procedure done on each foot earlier this year and missed OTAs, but said he plans to be ready when training camp starts later this month.

“It’s bone spurs in both my left and right foot,” Griffin explained. “It didn’t happen on one play. It’s the kind of injury you get over a 10-year career — something that gets progressively worse. It’s not something I would wish on anyone.

“In the NFL we have a 100 percent injury rate. The ones who can stick around are the guys who can manage the pain. Things have been falling into place for me as far as my rehab schedule. Everything is on track.”

Griffin, 26, was dealing with a different injury last season. He suffered a torn MCL in his left knee during the fourth quarter of Houston’s regular-season opener against Kansas City, was placed on injured reserve/designated to return and didn’t play in Houston’s next seven games.

He had 19 catches in Houston’s final eight regular-season contests — Griffin made at least one reception in each of those eight games — and finished the regular season with 20 receptions for 251 yards and two touchdowns. He made three catches for 29 yards when the Chiefs beat the Texans in the AFC Wild Card game.

“It wasn’t fun watching from the sideline,” Griffin said. “We had more wins in the second half (the Texans won six of their last eight regular-season games) and I would like to think I was a part of that.

“I’m past the knee injury. The Achilles was more of a problem at the end of the year last year. It really gets me when I’m running. That’s when most of the pain happens.”

Griffin spent three years at the New Hampton School before he transferred to Londonderry High School for his senior season. After he played college football at the University of Connecticut, the Texans took Griffin in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Although he is spending much of this summer at his parents’ summer home in South Carolina, Griffin will be in New Hampshire next week. He and Elise Berry were recently engaged, and there is a party planned in Portsmouth to celebrate the engagement.

“We met at Londonderry High School,” Griffin said. “The wedding is next year (June 30) in Boston.”

Quarterback Brock Osweiler and running back Lamar Miller are among Houston’s offseason additions, so Griffin figures to be part of a stronger offensive unit this season — the final season of a four-year contract he signed as a rookie.

The Texans’ quarterback position was unsettled last season. Brian Hoyer and Ryan Mallett each spent time as the starter, but four quarterbacks each attempted at least 40 passes.

“We picked up some offensive firepower, and with Brock coming in here it can only help,” Griffin said.”No more of that quarterback carousel. He’s definitely a born leader.

“I’d love to have my career year this year, this being a contract year. I have a lot to prove.”

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans have agreed to terms with Purdue defensive tackle Ra'Zahn Howard, according to two sources</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/753694366946893824">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ra'Zahn Howard: 'I'm geeked up and ready to make an impact. My Pro Day wasn't too good, but I'm getting in better shape now.'</p>— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/753696151245762560">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ra'Zahn Howard: 'I'm ready to make the Houston Texans proud'</p>— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/753695452181110784">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NFL supplemental draft note: Purdue DT Ra'Zahn Howard was unimpressive in June 8 workout. One GM said Howard was out of shape, undraftable</p>&mdash; Jason Cole (@JasonColeBR) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/753222085061718016">July 13, 2016</a></blockquote>

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

&nbsp;

20. Mr. Clutch

He sounds like a genius.