1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Off-season Priorities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 9, 2016.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wilfork actually got better as the season went along. His bad start to the year is clouding people's judgment of him.

However, I am all in favor of getting his replacement this year. There is a lot of talent on the defensive line in this draft.

I also don't consider safety to big their biggest issue. Hal played very well. I'm not big on Pleasant, but I think they can survive with him as the second safety.

They need to improve the defensive line and they need better linebacker coverage. That could be Cushing being even healthier, McKinney getting even better, Antonio Allen as a nickle LB/Safety playing well, Cliett, a draft guy, I don't know.

Right now they do not have a competent defensive lineman starting next to Watt and Wilfork.

AShawn Robinson, Andrew Billings, Vernon Butler and even Jarran Reed (though he isn't nearly as exciting) are all guys that they should be targeting in the first and second round.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Texans were #10 in run defense last year. Wilfork got better as the year went along. See: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/12/07/hou-buf-grades-taylor-mccoy-wear-down-texans/.

There are two safety positions. Right now the other starter is Pleasant. Hal is serviceable and he's played well (for a guy that moved from corner).

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

They changed his role later on to minimize his problems that he was giving our defense early on. Our issues in that department still remained during that point.

We need someone big time that can allow our linebackers to come off free. Wilfork when doubled, the lineman wasn't off-balance or struggling at the point of attack like you want when faced with a NT.

NT/DT and another DE are big holes that need to be addressed. If we could get the Crick we had the season prior to this lasto ne where he played horrible, that would be a big boost.

Having that NT/DT is what makes our defense great. Last two years our defense before adjusting the horrible play from that position (last season before we signed Pickett) and before we adjusted Wilfork's role to minimize his negative impact on the team, made us have a bad defense.

Our run defense before signing Pickett last year was among the worst in the NFL. Once we signed Pickett who wasn't anything special, but a big upgrade over what we had, the run defense turned into one of the best.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I know we need to upgrade the other safety spot. I'm just referring to the comment about how Hal should be a backup.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

surprised at all this talk re: drafting a Wilfork replacement early in the draft. Covington seemed to do well last season, no?

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Wilfork is in his deal's last year. Drafting his replacement this year means that replacement can spend this year learning the position and the following year starting.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Covington is not big enough to play NT.

1 person likes this.
  8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Apples and Oranges. Covington doesn't have the sand in his pants to do what Wilfork does. I think Cov plays at about 289 lbs.

Speaking of Cov... I like his speed and athletic ability. Any chance he sees reps at Crick's old spot on the DLine? I see him more as a 3-4 end...

1 person likes this.
  9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Get Billings if Coleman is gone. I think we draft our first Baylor player ever.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

His current size and skill set seem much better suited to play 3-4 end but guess they like him at NT. He's still young so maybe they're thinking he can put on the necessary weight.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is that Jay Ratliff? If so, the ONLY reason he had success at NT was that Wade Phillips' scheme called for a smaller NT than most 3-4 defenses do. As soon as Phillips' was gone, Ratliff's production went down the tubes. He had one more season with similar production to what he got in Phillips' scheme in Chicago where they were running the 4-3 and he was a DT instead of a NT.

Now back to the Texans, RAC's defense calls for a planetoid NT in a lot of situations and right now Covington lacks the assmass to pull that off.

1 person likes this.
  13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I wonder if we sign Crick since his price tag is so low now since nobody is signing him. He had a down year last year, but was very good year prior. It also puts less pressure on us to filling the big need at DE.

With Weeden resigned, I highly doubt we draft a QB unless there's somebody we really really like. Judging by our win now situation, it might be best to just try to plug the big holes we have. We really do need a LB that can cover TEs

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Looking at all the starters, what position needs an upgrade the most?

WR1 Hopkins
    WR2 Mumphrey
    SLOT Shorts
    LT Brown
    LG XSF
    C Bergstrom/Mancz
    RG Allen
    RT Newton
    TE Fiedorowicz/Griffin
    QB Osweiler
    FB Prosch
    RG Miller

RDE Watt
    NT Wilfork
    LDE Dunn/Still/Covington
    SLB Mercilus
    ILB Cushing
    ILB McKinney
    OLB Clowney
    LCB Jackson
    SS Demps
    FS Hal
    RCB Joseph
    NCB Johnson

P Lechler
    PK Novak
    LS Weeks
    PR Mumphrey
    KR Mumphrey

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

1. WR2 (If you are saying that can't be Strong)/PR/KR (Basically someone that can fill all of Mumphrey's spots) plus Osweiler needs targets, the more the merrier.

2. DE (Covington could move to DT/NT if we find someone to compete with Still)

3. OL (Someone versatile, that can play LG or LT, I think we have our C competion)

4. TE (Only reason I have them lowest is b/c I'm not sure anyone in the draft can beat these guys)

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

In no order: WR, TE, DL, S, OL

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like our safeties. I understand I'm in the minority, though.

In order, our needs, to me, would be:

Tight End

Slot Receiver/Return man
    Defensive Line
    Offensive line

We've got Cliett and Quessenberry returning, and both will help with depth. Cliett will be an intriguing player, I think. Safety/linebacker hybrid type who may be exactly the chess piece we need.

I would love nothing more than Corey Coleman in the first and then trading up for Hunter Henry mid second. It would pay big dividends.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Don't think about the draft. If an upgrade is needed then it is needed; doesn't matter where it comes from.

With Demps signed, safety is not as much a priority as it was a few days ago. But with Crick going to the Broncos, DE moves up the list. Covington is an unknown at that position, Dunn is a special teams player and Still hasn't played in over a year. I would follow that with the tight end position though I still have some hope for Griffin. I'm not confident in Bergstrom and XSF so those two positions combined would be third on my list. Then return man, and then safety. I don't put the return man as high; with the rule changes on kickoff, that would be mostly a punt returner.

DE/DT
    TE
    C/G
    KR/PR
    S

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Looking at the lost-but-not-replaced FAs, ...

Looking at the players on the last year of their contract who will command more money than they are worth to resign, ...

Texans need to find a replacement for DE Crick and TE Graham and maybe C Jones.

Texans will need to find a replacement for NT Wilfork and ILB Cushing and maybe LT Brown.