1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Off-season Priorities

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 9, 2016.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Wonder how today's moves affects our draft board.

What prospects do y'all want us to go after with QB/RB solidified (Granted, we may go Hackenberg or someone later on)

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

You know what they were looking at all along

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/DE

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What Texans offense projects to look like w/ Brock Osweiler and Lamar Miller in the backfield (PFF grades listed) <a href="https://t.co/Nj7zjU82vf">pic.twitter.com/Nj7zjU82vf</a></p>&mdash; Pro Football Focus (@PFF) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF/status/707724921162452992">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Run right Lamar. Run right!

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The texans are gonna go heavy on defense for the draft... infact dont be surprised if they get dline with the first pick... unless a very talented rb or wr falls I really think they go defense.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think it's a toss up between defensive line and offensive line.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Take this for what it's worth...I'm not an insider nor am I claiming to be. I have a lifelong friend that does a ton of "medical work" with the Texans and Rockets. This friend sends me pics all the time with he and just about everyone in both organizations.

So tonight I'm on the phone with him and he tells me that Rick Smith is out. What does out mean? I'm not exactly sure. He says BOB truly has control of not only the 53 man roster, but the draft as well. He says everything you saw today was BOB. He also says that McNair behind the scenes is not happy and BOB needs to perform now because he will never go through another Kubiak like situation again giving him as long as he did without more success.

True? I'm not sure, but this offseason has a very different feel to it than in years past already. It's obvious that the team is being much more aggressive and I for one like seeing it.

1 person likes this.
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It isn't true. Rick smith is not out with McNair

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

wrong thread

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but I don't think he meant out as in fired. We all know that's probably not going to happen. It may not be entirely true, but I also know that my friend is not going to bs me.

Quite frankly I don't care at this point who's doing what as long as it improves and the Texans finally build something solid.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

If this Smith outtage thing were true, it would seem odd that all these moves were made while BOB was at Wisconsins' pro day.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congrats to my brothers <a href="https://twitter.com/TheMalikJackson">@themalikjackson</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/bosweiler17">@bosweiler17</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MMM?src=hash">#MMM</a> @ Los Angeles, California <a href="https://t.co/3W9RepgPgk">https://t.co/3W9RepgPgk</a></p>&mdash; Von Miller (@Millerlite40) <a href="https://twitter.com/Millerlite40/status/707762385218625537">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Sign Mike Wallace, Cut Hoyer, and trade a low pick for Martellus Bennett (almost same salary as Hoyer).

1 person likes this.
  14. Summer Song Giver

Hunter Henry come on down?

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Its been rumored going back to the Kubiak days, that the coaches here pretty much have all personnel say.

I feel like McNair is not necessarily a patient owner, but he has a good feel for when timing is right. He didn't give Capers too much time - just enough. Kubiak was kind of a different animal. Maybe he had too much time, maybe he should never have been fired. I don't know if you'd find a major consensus either way.

With O'Brien, I feel he knows what he wants, and he knows how to get the best out of his players - either by adjusting to their talents, teaching them, or scheme. Because of that, I tend to trust him for now. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: he's someone I believe could coach this team for 15+ years.

That being said, I totally believe the first part about personnel. I tend to not believe the part about McNair being impatient. O'Brien is worth keeping. He's not a two or three year and done kind of guy.

1 person likes this.
  16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If Laquon Treadwell falls to the teens...

I want the Texans to trade up and get him.

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If Laquon Treadwell falls to the teens...

I want the Texans to trade up and get him.

18. MystikArkitect

Weak WR class. Treadwell might fall to us. What are our biggest needs now?

OL
    WR2
    TE (one that can catch)
    ILB (need to replace Cush my goodness)
    Gadget RB

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Upgrade at DE (Crick) and FS

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Billings or Henry in the 1st IMO.

Having a true DT in Billings will transform our elite defense into something truly special. Vince's lack of dominating double teams really hurt our interior rush defense, and pass rush from the center.

Henry immediately fixes the biggest need on this team on offense.

Fuller is a speedy WR , but his hands are just too awful. We won't be able to fix everything in one draft, and IMO it's best to not go for a speedy WR until later in draft if possible or even next year. Maybe even go after Mike Wallace if he can be had for a one year deal to temporarily cover that hole.

Travis Benjamin who is younger than Mike Wallace and is coming off his best year for 6m a year. I can see us nabbing Mike Wallace who will turn 30 in August on a 4m per year. (maybe only a one year deal) This draft is lacking in speed, and drafting Fuller who has bad hands and is a body catcher would not be worthwhile.

If we go this route, we can draft Henry in the 1st round who IMO can be an elite tight end and thus giving Brock another big weapon to take pressure off him.

ALSO

Get someone to cover TE's for the love of god.