1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming's future as a Rocket and in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WeMissDekeMan, May 10, 2009.

Tags:
?

How much would you want the Rockets to give Yao in 2010

1. As long as Yao stays, I'm happy

42.5%
  2. Give him a Max Contract

17.0%
  3. Give him an MLE

3.3%
  4. Give him around 10 Million

21.2%
  5. I don't want Yao to be a Rocket anymore, Let's rebuild

16.1%
  1. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

1.) What's your take on him right now and his future?
    2.) Will he be worth a max contract in 2010 when his contract expires?
    3.) What career would you currently compare his to, to another player's career?
    4.) Will he ever be healthy again from Game 1 of the regular season to the end of the post season?

2. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Yao should choose another team, a team that is willing to spend money for the right players.

Look at Houstons. For so many years, it doesn't have a young, athletic and solid back up C. Everyone knows it, but the boss is not willing to spend money. We need a better PG, the boss is not willing to spend the money.

And houstons' home court advantage? Rockets don't get much favorable calls from the refs, and our home court are quite empty (even in the lower seats) during regular season games. Poor support from the fans in general (although a lot of fans in this forum.

3. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Yao is going to get the max from another team with a great wingman, and solid starters/bench.

Teams like Milwaukee, Denver, Atlanta. Hell, even the Spurs might make a push for him.

Imagine Yao, Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Bonner. Or Yao, 'Melo, Billups, Nene, Martin.

Crazy. We need to keep Yao, not just because he is the best 5 in the league, but because we can't let him go to other teams.

4. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

The words of most YAo's fans. Yeah right, who would spend that much money on Yao now? And you think it is in yao's best interest to be traded or sign with another team? I don't think so buddy. I think yao have 2-3 more years top with his body condition.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Because you KNOW it's the backup Center's fault for Yao Ming getting injured all the time.

Who was Hakeem's backup?
    Who was Shaq's backup?
    Who was Zydrunas freaking Ilgauskas' backup before Ben Wallace?

Unless you are an Eric Dampier quality center, nobody in the world should be giving a sh&t who your backup is. Hayes has actually done a fantastic job against LA in this series, and I would have put Dikembe in his late-season form up there against any backup center in the league. So stop whining about Yao's supporting cast and start casting the blame where it's due. These Rockets will always be a good team but never a championship contender if we give Yao the max.

6. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

Agreed 100%!

7. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Injury is another problem. Even without injury, how can a team win without size? How many times that the team shows its weakness in inside defense (opponent's swing man can just go inside fearlessly)?

Even if Yao is healthy and can always be healthy (let's for now assume he is and he can), Rockets have big problem by not having solid back up big inside.

Yao is no Hakeem or Shark. No doubt about it. His strength/weakness decides he needs more from coach/team to succeed (better coaching, better PG, etc).

8. aragorn

aragorn Member

so so not true. replace the 22 million hole in our salary cap with Lebron/Kobe/wade, we would win championship for sure!

Ilgauskas makes cavs a championship contender with Lebron, for God's sake.

It is never an one-man job.

prime Oneal had Kobe, aging oneal had wade and a lucky year. jabbar had worthy and Magic. Hakeem had Drexler.

come on, man. if we made the deal trading Tmac for Prince and Billups, we will win this year's champion, FOR SURE.

if Yao Ming stays on a team, that team can not be a contender?

lebron/Wade/Kobe would love to have Yao on their team, i guarantee you.

Just we had bad luck that Tmac and YAO almost never heathy together.

9. kalmanfilter

kalmanfilter Rookie

If the management team agrees with this poll, I can see Yao will be traded very soon. Lets see. It will be funny next season when Yao comes back to Houston with Heat or Knicks.

10. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

1.) Yao is still the biggest post threat in the game. He gives you double teams and can open up lanes/shots for players. Just see how open Scola gets now that Yao is out.
    2.) His injury history is scary, but a team will take a chance just b/c of all Yao can bring you when he is healthy. I would love to see Yao on a team where the coach realizes what kind of talent he truly has. RA is an idiot and it just seems like he'd rather have a team without Yao.
    3.) No idea...
    4.) I doubt Yao will ever play a full season. The injury sucks, but hopefully it will force Yao to take time off this season and get his body right. Hopefully he realizes that he can't keep up this pace and he needs to slow down.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It all depends on his physical and mental health.It's quite obvious that he is not durable and nobody knows how he will play in the long term. He does have a very short term window of success if he even comes back healthy.I honestly don't see a future for him in the NBA for more than a year.

I'm saying this with a lot of sadness. Yao is great guy,I wish he could be an NBA champion with the Houston Rockets some day but that seems like a fantasy right now.

12. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

We really need to ask ourselves, is enough enough? He's hurt every year.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yao wasn't going to get a max contract before so I don't see why he would now. Very few players are deserving of that kind of contract and Yao isn't one of them, especially with the health issues. I'm not sure if any team other than the Rockets will be able to give him max money anyway.

The only way I can see the Rockets giving him max money is if 1) he plays more like a 24-26ppg and 11 rpg player instead of a sub 20/10 player and 2) if he plays the next 2 seasons (player option for 2011) without any significant injuries. The injury free part is key because while he could possibly have max level talent, there's no way you can tie up that much money in a guy who can't stay on the court.

I don't think the Rockets will give him the max. But if they decide to keep him they'll definitely pay him more than $10 million. They'll pay him pretty much what he's making now. Around $15 million, give or take $3-4 million.

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Suns will go for Yao once Cactus is traded. Their medical staff are magical.

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

This team is playing really well without Yao when Motivated. This is a very good team even without Yao. So I say keep Yao around and he doesn't need to play crazy mins like this year. This team is even better with Yao then without Yao. Having Yao is a bonus. He's a big mismatch to alot of team out there.

Only idiots who think we are much better without Yao. We are better with Yao when coach play him properly.

16. Cannonball

You have no concept of the salary cap, do you? It's never been a question of spending money. The Rockets have the 7th highest payroll in the league (higher than the Lakers). You just can't go out and throw money at free agents unless you're under the cap. And right now, no team in the league in under the cap. This means you're very limited in what you can do.

17. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

The notion of offering Yao the MLE is an insult.

I voted for $10 million because I can see him taking that size paycut. But it's moot to me, as he's locked up until '11 unless he opts out.

18. Cannonball

It's been said elsewhere, but you can't just let TMAC's contract expire and spend $23 million on another player. We're way over the cap and letting Tracy's contract expire will only get us a little below the cap. It won't clear nearly enough cap space for us to have room to sign a Lebron or Wade. The only way to free up that much space it to let Yao's contract expire as well. Of course, if you did that, where's the incentive for Lebron or Wade to come here. The idea of replacing Tracy with Lebron or Wade and pairing them opposite of Yao is a pipe dream. It can't happen.

I think the best you can hope for in a wing player to play opposite of Yao, is if Milwaukee is looking for immediate cap relief and you can get them to give you Michael Redd for Tracy.

19. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

What about Joe Johnson, do you think he has a chance to come down here in Houston? I don't think he's worthy of a max contract anyways..

20. Ashes

Ashes Member

Is this guy serious?