1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming's future as a Rocket and in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WeMissDekeMan, May 10, 2009.

Tags:
?

How much would you want the Rockets to give Yao in 2010

1. As long as Yao stays, I'm happy

42.5%
  2. Give him a Max Contract

17.0%
  3. Give him an MLE

3.3%
  4. Give him around 10 Million

21.2%
  5. I don't want Yao to be a Rocket anymore, Let's rebuild

16.1%
  1. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Are you sure what you are saying? His current contract is max based on the time he signed with Rockets.

You are so funny.

2. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Of course, I know the cap. It is the owner and GM's job to decide how to spend the money.

I have to agree that for this particular year, our GM is doing extremely well.

But look at all the past years, you know what I mean. And I also think we need a tall swing man that can past. (forget about T-Mac, he is done)

3. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Of course, I am serious. Look at how much Yao has given to this team, and look at home many fans will say "trade Yao", "he is the most un-clutch player", "he is the softest player" as soon as Yao has one bad game.

Great treatment from the fans.

4. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Obviously you don't know much about the owner. He is the one owner in Houston that has always given his team what they need to succeed. If the baskeball people mess it up that's on them. It's not on the owner.

5. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Look at how fans treat Yao here. Is it a "proud" to be treated like that after he has given so much?

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yao is a vital piece to winning, just not the only piece as people want. I've never seen so many people worry about a player's touches in a win as i have since Yao has come here. It doesnt matter who gets the glory in a win to me as long as they win. I wouldnt give Yao a max and dont think every really good wing player wants to come in a give up their right to take and make shots without looking inside first. Dont think Joe Johnson,Wade,Kobe or whomever else you want to pull out doesnt like thier team and being the man. Joe Johnson left the suns because he wanted his accomplishments to be recognized and be the man. Why would wade leave when they will have alot of cap room, in the east, beautiful south beach, and he's the man? I'm not saying there wont be some that might want to come, but some of those guys like leading their team. They come to houston and all of a sudden they have to defer and thats not that easy. I think surrounding Yao with players that can play off of him and without him is vital. Every player needs to be able to create something when teams take yao out the game and can still be effective. I think 10-12m for 3 yrs is the most i would do. I dont think you want to bog down your team with yao for a long period of time.

7. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Don't think so. Unless that owner is Cuban. Yes, I know many people here don't like him. Because I am not his team's fan, I don't like him either.

But he is really the one that will do anything, spend all the money needed for the team. Rockets' owner?

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'd put Bob McNair in the same category.

9. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Joe Johnson has already gotten his recognition with his individual accomplishments with Atlanta. At one point, he will want to get some hardware like a championship ring. His prime isn't going to last forever and neither is Yao's. I could see him coming here to Houston the south, where he is from to get a ring. That is if he knows enough about this time.

10. Cannonball

What? I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying he's currently playing on a max contract? Because he isn't.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He plays in the east. He's a black man in chocolate city. He's the man on his team. There is nothing that tells me that houston is any closer than Atl. He comes here and Yao goes down again, then what? Plus he would have to cut his game back like every other wing player. Thats more than what some people want to deal with.

12. ibm

ibm Member

we don't know much yet about yao's latest injury yet.

his future?

best case scenario, he takes this entire summer off and comes back strong. this team continues to grow and we win a title with him as the centerpiece.

worst case scenario - he's done and will retire after he serves the last year of his current contract and then retires due to more injuries. (knock on wood.)

something in between - a bill walton type of situation.

something like that.

13. yearning

yearning Rookie

Some of you guys are ridiculous. Yao will get a max contract from every team, no doubt. No matter how you judge him, that is the fact. :rolleyes:

14. LoneStarRebel

LoneStarRebel Member

Yao is hands down the best center in the entire freakin league, I'll take my chances with a top tier center like Yao than some cat like Andrew Bynum. Some of ya'll are pathetic...giving up on a guy that gives it his all night in and night out, remember what happened to Big Z? If Yao trims down to a lean muscular 285 lbs, he'll be more durable and mobile, and yes, he's worth the Max.

[/thread]

15. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I believe he is playing on a max contract. Houston gave him the maximum value allowed under the league’s new collective bargaining agreement in 2005.

And per both JVG and an insider on the board, Yao has turned down two max contract extensions so I don't know where you get that he was never going to be offered it.

16. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Are you freaking serious?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=2147660
    Yao Ming gets max deal from Rockets

Unless, you have your own definition of "max".

17. petey006

petey006 Rookie

WOW one game and already we have people saying we are better without Yao. Comon, we won the game because we shut down Kobe. He had only 15 points!

The Rockets should sign him 2 more years after his contract expired and maybe he should retire after that (2013?). Maybe he won't be a hall of famer but he will be remembered! :D

18. maldini

maldini Member

Yao should be resigned with the max as he is the best center in the world. Injury is not a problem at all.

19. Cannonball

I stand corrected. I was looking at lists of players who had max contracts and it didn't list Yao. But you know that a max contract isn't constant. The max amount allowable changes depending on the salary cap and how long a player has been in the league. When Yao signed his last contract, the max he could make was 25% of the cap. Now a max contract would pay him 30% (and eventually 35%) of the cap. So just because he's worth a max contract now doesn't mean he's still worth a max contract when it becomes 30% or 35% of the salary cap. The Rockets are still willing to pay hm 25%, probably a bit more.

Whereas he's currently making $15-16 million. Another max deal would give him $19-20 million. It's not quite the same.

20. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I truely think Yao simply wants to win and he's not about the money. That's not to say he's going to sign for the MLE though. He's a smart guy he'll evaluate if the rockets have done enough to put him in a winning situation and if not he just might go somewhere else. It's all about winning.