1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming's future as a Rocket and in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WeMissDekeMan, May 10, 2009.

Tags:
?

How much would you want the Rockets to give Yao in 2010

1. As long as Yao stays, I'm happy

42.5%
  2. Give him a Max Contract

17.0%
  3. Give him an MLE

3.3%
  4. Give him around 10 Million

21.2%
  5. I don't want Yao to be a Rocket anymore, Let's rebuild

16.1%
  1. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

You logic is so funny, man.

Yao signed at the max allowed by that time, so yes, he is earning max contract.

NBA doesn't allow players to re-negotiate in the middle of contract, right?

2. jingle77

jingle77 Member

How much would you want the Rockets to give Yao in 2010
    As long as Yao stays, I'm happy
    Give him a Max Contract
    Give him an MLE
    Give him around 10 Million
    I don't want Yao to be a Rocket anymore, Let's rebuild

That's no difference for Yao and us.
    1) Yao stays /Max Contract , fans happy, Yao happy, Les happy,
    2) MLE/10M /Yao goaway, fans maybe happy, Yao happy, Les ?
    3) Rebuild, fans start to wait,not so happy, Yao happy, Les not happy (without cash cow)

3. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

what's the difference between this and tmac saying he didn't win because he didn't have shaq or tim duncan...

4. stone3343

stone3343 Member

I don't have the permisson to launch a new thread, so I'd like list what I am expecting the Rox team in next season..
    1, YAO and T-MAC stay, the kings return
    2, Ron better stay
    3, I don't like Von, let him go..
    4, Let Lowry start and AB off from bench.

most important,
    sign a young, healthy backup C...

those would be perfect..

5. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Few will blame T-Mac if he didn't win Finals and he said he didn't have enough support from team members. But T-mac is not able to pass 1st round and he blames his teammates.

I don't think my previous statement is wrong. Given a prime Shaq and a prime Yao, Shaq's team can have weaker support and the whole team may still do better than Yao's team. It is Yao's weakness. I am talking about winning it all, not just pass first round.

The current team is good enough to past 1st round or second round now. Going further? It is possible but it is really hard.

6. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

Yao need to ask the Dr to infuse some adamantium metal into his left foot.

7. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

If Yao stays healthy, a max contract is a lock. This league always overpays big guys and Yao is one of the best (even though a lot of big guys suck these days).

Let's just get real, if Bynum, Dampier and Dalembert can get 10+ M per year, Yao definitely deserves 17+ M, which close to a Max contract. Yeah, they are all overpaid IMO, but it is just the market value. This doesn't even count the marketing fact Yao brings to the table.

Now given his health issue, I will say it is a tough call if Rox will give him a max contract for long term, like 5-6 years. It is highly possible Yao's body will break down in 3 years. You just cannot have broken bones and bone fractures every year and stay competing in this league for long term. There are just too many games every year, almost 90+ games including playoffs. Not to mention Yao still has national team duties during the off season.

Chinese fans are angry about some of the reactions from Rox fans because they are proud of Yao being the only Chinese player who can represent China in the NBA. But let us face it, most of Chinese won't even watch Rox games if Yao always sit on the bench injured. There is a real possibilities this will happen again and again in the next couple years. Every GM will take this into their consideration when Yao becomes a free agent.

My prediction is Yao will get a contract close to Max money, but not for long term like 6 years. More likely most team will offer him a shorter term like 3 years.

8. bluegold

bluegold Member

Yao needs to go to a team that fits him better. He can still win a championship with the right pieces around him. The rockets are better without him too.

9. bluegold

bluegold Member

shut up.

10. ibm

ibm Member

i have not too much interest on this topic. but you kinda contradicted yourself there. by definition, something at "market value" cannot be overpriced. econ 101 kinda stuff. just saying...

11. roxwin

roxwin Member

What makes you think that yao want stay in Houston.every choice is on Rox side,dont you know Yao has choice too?

12. kejohn

kejohn Member

Re 2). Right, Adelman does not know what Yao can do and would rather lose games than have Yao succeed.

13. tslee98

tslee98 Contributing Member

I'm not so sure that a max contract is a lock. 2010 is the year before the NBA collective bargaining agreement is up. There are already predictions of a lock-out in 2011 because too many NBA teams are losing money and the league is struggling under the weight of multi-year mega million dollar contracts. So some of the predictions are lower percentage of revenue to players, lower and hard salary cap (no extra cushion before the luxury tax), and no contracts longer than 3 or 4 years.

With such significant changes looming around the corner, I don't know if there are going to be many teams out there who can really afford or offer a max contract. I will be fascinating to see what Lebron or Wade get. Likewise, I'm curious about Yao. He's not worth that as a player, but he's definitely worth it as an economic proposition -- he generates tons of revenue for the team and for our other players, all of whom can sign lucrative contracts with Chinese companies.

14. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Yeah, like somebody says the stock maket never overprices a company. The company always worths the price the market gives the the current time. Warren Buffet disagrees. Just saying...

15. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Yao has stated numerous times he wants to stay as a Houston Rocket and he wants to retire as a Rocket. Teams would love to have him, just don't know which. Not sure If I can trust Yao's decision on what team he wants to play for anyways, because I truly want him to get a ring.

16. roxwin

roxwin Member

See,thats the problem.we dont really know what Yao thinks.I knew money is not that important to him,he is just not that kind of guy.so only thing left for him is RING.I would said he did very well in Houston for last seven years,he and his teamates finally got out of 1st round,if wasnt for the injuries they had pretty good chance to get out of 2nd round too.I knew he trying to be loyalty to the Rox and retire as Rox,the question is who we going to have on the roster to fight with him,that will be the only thing going to decide either he stays or not.so,doesnt matter he is or isnt MAX CONTRACT players,he is going to stay.

17. oakton

oakton Member

Yao is a fantastic player, the best team player you can ever have. But let's face it, he does not produce enough match winning performance to be worth $15+ million, not to mention him being an injury prone.

I would love to see him stay, but he's really worth about $10 million a year. I would much prefer Houston spending the money on guards than a center.

18. Super Von

Super Von Member

Yao isnt going anywhere.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Chinese Rik Smits is his future. 25-28 minutes a game

20. ibm

ibm Member

funny, i just happened to be a day trader. i trade stocks for a living.

in my trade, lesson #1 - the market is ALWAYS right.

the market was right when citi was @ a buck a share 2 months ago, and it is right now when citi sells for 4 bucks a share. and if one knows it and believes it, he could make big bucks.