1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Draft Pick Tracker/Prospect Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ktvoss, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

It's safe to assume we are out of the playoffs, and need to start thinking about our draft picks.

I believe we are still out of the lottery...

But if we get in, I hope we land Brandon Roy. He had a great game tonight for Washington despite being double-teamed the whole game. He is the perfect SG for us. All-around player.

He will probably be top 5 though.

2. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

There are a lot of big names out there actually, so we might not get stuck that bad.

JJ Redick
    Adam Morrison
    Rudy Gay
    Shelden Williams
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    ...Brandon Roy
    The list goes on. It won't be a draft like '96 or '03 though...

I would assume we'd be looking for a SG primarily, but I could see us trying land a PF and maybe a PG. Who knows? It might be nice if we could land a combo guard to play the 1 and the 2. I wouldn't count on it though, we need to put more experienced talent around T-Mac and Yao some other way...

3. ktvoss

I really doubt we'll be drafting a SF. We are NOT moving T-Mac back to the shooting guard position. That will give him even more back problems guarding shorter players than him. And those players (Gay, Morrison) can't play that position.

Don't think we'll get a PF either, we are ultimately stuck with Howard and Stromile.

PS. We don't have a chance in drafting Aldridge, Gay, or Morrison anyway, we can't catch Bobcats that far down. We have a .05 chance of getting the #1-3 picks.

#3 ktvoss, Mar 18, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  4. JWhaley

JWhaley Contributing Member

Quincy Douby for a second round pick!

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

We could definitely draft a small forward. We need wingmen badly. I think it is safe to say that even if Tracy's back improves drastically, he is still susceptible to random stints on the bench due to spasms. The Rockets should draft as if they didn't have him and at times, you can rest assured that they won't.

Last year in the playoffs, we had 6 guys who could shoot the 3. That includes Sura, James, Barry, Wesley, McGrady, and Padgett. Right now we have ZERO.

Before this summer ends, the Rockets would do well to sign/trade/draft at least 3 good wingmen, including a starting SG.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Trade Swift during the offseason, and draft Sheldon Williams.

NBA Comparison: Antonio Davis

Strengths: Burly power forward with a no nonsense approach ... Great experience, 4 years at Duke has given him a strong foundation with a great skill level and solid fundamentals ... Hard worker who has developed a reputation as a great kid ... Extremely strong body ... Deceptively quick and athletic ... Sticks to playing in the post, where he dominates on the NCAA level ... Tremendous wingspan allows him to play like a 7 footer ... A real defensive presence, a shot blocker who won national defensive player of the year as a junior ... Averages close to 4 blocks per game as a senior ... Should be able to guard centers in the NBA ... Great rebounding ability, boxes out well ... Understands how to defend, has become disciplined (blocks a ton of shots without fouling out very often) ... Range on his jumpshot has shown improvement through hard work, along with his free throw shooting ... Fairly consistent out to 12-15 feet ... Posts up well and uses his strength well to score ... His post moves have really developed well in his 4 years at Duke, including hooks and drop steps ... Touch around the basket is good and converts well after contact ...

Weaknesses: Rigid. Williams lacks great fluidity running the floor, his movements could be described as stiff or mechanical ... Lacks the ability to improvise much in the open floor: catching and dribbling/passing before a shot, he's a lot more comfortable with set plays or crashing the glass ... Offensive game may be limited on next level due to lack of spontaneity (the Duke computer chip in his head runs best in half court set) ... Lacks great vision or passing ability ... His body is very rigid partly due to his muscle mass ... High school incident not considered indicative of his true character, especially after Duke retained his scholarship. He's been a model citizen ever since (accusation) and comes from strong family background ... Has given up a number of big games to post players as a senior, partly due to Duke's perimeter defensive approach ...

Notes: Nicknamed "The Landlord" because he owns the paint.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/sheldenwilliams.asp

Draft Projection: Top 10

Notes: Williams anchored the World University Games squad this summer, averaging 14.9 ppg and 9.3 rpg.

Positives: One of the best rebounders and shot blockers in college basketball. A beast in the paint. A solid scorer with his back to the basket. Great strength and, despite his bulk, is actually pretty explosive. "He doesn't do anything that wows you," one scout said. "But he's very solid, he crashes the glass and he can be real intimidating in the paint. There aren't many NBA teams that don't need that. I see him as a Carlos Boozer-type player in the league. That's a good thing."

Negatives: He doesn't have much of a face-the-basket game right now. Doesn't score as much as his talent would suggest, though that's changed a little bit at the start of this season. Scouts wish Williams was another inch or two taller.

Summary: Although he'll probably never be an 18-ppg player in the league, he could be a 10 rebound, 2.5 blocks per night type power forward. Given the dearth of bigs in the draft, that may be enough. He's added a little more to his offensive repertoire and if he measures out to be a legitimate 6-foot-9 (scouts have their doubts), he might even be able to move into the top 10.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=18847&draftyear=2006

#6 The Real Shady, Mar 18, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  7. ktvoss

We have bigger holes than the PF position.

No to Shelden.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If you consider Howard a legit NBA starting PF then yes, but IMO this team lacks a starting NBA PF and SG.

9. ktvoss

This team lacks a SG >>>> lacks a PF.

PF doesn't change the fact that we can't shoot for crap. We are OK in that area for now.

10. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Correct, but we would have beat Dallas last year if Howard and Swift were playing. Draft one in a year or two when Juwan's contract is coming up. Don't waste a pick right now on someone we don't desperately need.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Drafy for need. Draft best player available. In Rox case, probably one and the same.

This summer needs some magic, even more than the Magic of the summer of '04.

Good draft, good trades, good signings. Good night, and good luck.

12. neXXes

neXXes Member

We should be able to get at least the 7th pick without a problem at this pace.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Get the best player available. Don't make the mistake of drafting for need and getting a below average player.

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

i like that Roy guy from washington, very well rounded player

15. ktvoss

In this case, Roy isn't a below average player. So win-win. We get BPA and need.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wasn't implying that Roy is a below average player. I would be very happy if we could get a good SG.

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

As long as we get a backcourt player above 6'6" or a PF above 6'10", I won't complain much.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If you think we have acceptable PF play, you haven't been watching this team. We have the worst PF play in the league..........bar none. Juwan gives back everything on defense that he gives us on offense and then some. And SS is out to lunch all the time and weighs about as much as McGrady. He can't stay in the paint and board like we need.

All the same, we have to get a 3rd scorer, not just a shooter, but a dude that can score and spread the floor on the perimeter. Whoever it is, it needs to be somebody that can throw up 20+ when we need it and create their own shot.

In my opinion, we are better off looking for that cat as a known commodity already playing in the league. Somebody along the lines of Maggette, Mo Pete, or dare I say Pietrus. If we could get a player like that with a combination of SS and our #1 draft pick, we need to do it, that is if we do not get one of the top 3 picks. Then we can hope that a player like Paul Millsap falls down to the top of the 2nd round and we can get somebody like that to take Stro's place.

I think with Van Gundy's coaching style, we are better off to get a 3rd scorer that is already an established NBA player because he is just so hard on rookies. I can't see a rookie swingman getting the starter's job and that's what we need is a starter. We should re-sign Wesley as the backup 2, and Bogans as the backup 3. Then Luther needs to get into the gym and dribble, dribble, dribble his tail off and work on his passing. Luther needs to be a PG in this league. If he can't develop as a PG, then he needs to be traded because he isn't going to grow taller. All he will be is a decent backup combo guard if he doesn't improve his ballhandling and playmaking skills a whole lot.

If we could somehow pull off a trade for a legit 3rd scorer, starting SG, and we still had our draft pick left, then we should go after Shelden if he is still available. He looks like the perfect fit to me.

We have got to get a 3rd scorer and an upgrade to the PF position this summer if we are going to go anywhere.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

When did you change your sig? You know while I was writing a post in the game thread just a moment ago, I thought about one of your previous sigs mentioning TMac wanting to help make Stro an All-Star.

20. ktvoss

Problem with that, jopatmc, is the draft goes before the trading season. (there have never been trades before the draft) And it's not in our hands... I believe CD and JVG are OK (notice I didn't say acceptable) with the PF position for now. As they have said nothing about poor PF play this whole season and a whole lot about our backcourt play. There was a postgame quote last Monday I believe that said "Our backcourt is too short that is why we have to resort to team defense because we are not that great in individual defense." I bet anything that we do not draft a PF in the upcoming draft.