1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Draft Pick Tracker/Prospect Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ktvoss, Mar 18, 2006.

1. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

exploring the trade route for a sec...

Would anyone do a multi-team deal involving Tmac, Stro + our lottery pick for Mike Bibby, Gerald Wallace + a later 1st round pick?

Rather than take a risk on a weak draft, I'd rather get a guy, Bibby, who represents almost everything this team is lacking...an smart, crafty offensive orchestrator, a clutch shooter from deep, a mentally and physically strong scrapper, and most importantly given our coach's lack of offensive imagination, a guy who can make an offense run smoothly.

I just throw in Wallace cuz he's a beast and I've been predicting he would breakout and become a top 20 player since he was a rook with Sac....and he's getting close.

2. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Crack smokers unite!

3. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

I would not trade a healthy Tmac for ANYBODY, but given his health situation and my lack of faith in this draft....this is a no-brainer for me..."Yes!"

Forget that Wallace is a stud, Bibby is a monster in big games, always has been be it college or NBA...he just has major cajones and would instantly make this team a contender.

4. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

I didn't say it wasn't allowed, I was saying no teams do it often. At least prove me wrong. :rolleyes:

As conservative and patient as CDawson has been, do you actually think he will pull a deal that early before the draft?

#44 ktvoss, Mar 19, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If there is a deal on the table that he feels will improve the team, there is no doubt he will pull the trigger on it. How many trades does he have to make to prove that?

Looking back on what this season has become, it sure would have been nice to take that trade from NJ for Swift though. Unless we can get something better for him this offseason. ;)

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I'll tell ya, one guy that has impressed me so far in the NCAA tournament is this Noah kid from Florida (6'11", 230). The guy is really smart and has a high motor. Good rebounder, shot blocker and passer. Sort of a cross between AK-47 and Anderson Varejo. He would look pretty good next to Yao. If he is available when the Rockets pick, I would STRONGLY look his way. And that would then open the door to move Swift for a quailty swingman.

As far as the Rockets draft, I see them going two ways.
    1-- Draft the best available swingman (6'5" and up) No more "combo guards".
    2-- Draft the best available PF and then trade Swift to obtain a swingman.
    (this might give us the quickest return for us. If we could move a Swift for someone like Morris Peterson or Ricky Davis or someone like that).

But clearly the 2-guard/Swingman positinon next to Tmac needs to be addressed. And preferably by someone that can SCORE! And be a legit 3rd scorer.
    PF still needs to be addressed too. Swift just isnt getting the job done. :(

And backup PG also needs to be addressed, and might be able to be addressed with the 1st pick in the 2nd round.

If the Rockets could do the above items, then they could use the MLE to add quality depth on the roster. Maybe add a Jumaine Jones and Vspan to the team.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I've decided I don't want Ricky Davis. He's back to jawing with his teammates. I don't think he would defer to our big 2 enough.

Luther needs to become a PG or be traded.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Redick is too one-dimensional. And too easy to post up in the NBA.

Unlike opposing perimeter drivers who finish strong at the rim, the Rockets' perimeter drivers fade away hoping not to get their shot blocked. (I've learned to accept both Luther Head and Alston, but there are only so many times you can you use the rim to defend off a taller player or settle for a floater).

Upper body strength and the ability to finish strong at the hoop is in short supply among the Rockets' perimeter players. We need slasher who can finish in transition and in half-court. That's not Redick.

I don't know who the correct SG is but IMHO, he's tall, above average footspeed (to compensate for Yao and Alston and Howard), and a slasher who can run in transition and finish strong at hoop. Basically, David Wesley only 12 years younger and 4-5 inches taller. (Bogans would be OK if he just had a consitent shot and could finish a little stronger).

Brandon Roy, Ronnie Brewer, Mardy Collins, Maurice Ager, Richard Roby and even Rudy Fernandez before Redick on this Rockets' team.

On the outside chance the Rockets draft a PF, I hope it's one that can also play some SF (Tiago Splitter) and that the Rox have a solid SG targeted in Free Agency.

Deuce -
    Haven't had the chance to see Joakim Noah play. He's listed as 6-11 and a PF-C combo whose HS team handlely defeated NOK's JR Smith's HS team. Supposed biggest weakness is strength. He is listed as a Soph and has not committed to the draft so you won't see him in any mock drafts...yet. ;)

#48 GATER, Mar 19, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  9. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Looking at the numbers I would prefer to get Sam Cassell over Bibby and then I like your Gerald Wallace pick - he is moving up! But then we have to pry him loose and how do we do that?

Hopefully some mix of trades & drafting will fill a few holes, plus Tracy has to get well!

10. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Sacramento is not trading Bibby. They don't need T-Mac, they have Artest.

Don't give up on T-Mac yet. Don't trade him. Plus, even if you did, I doubt teams would give you anywhere near market value for him.

11. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

again, if t-mac is healthy the rockets would be crazy to trade him. if he's unhealthy, no other team wants him and that contract unless they're sending crap back.

anyway, the rockets are getting a top 10 pick and i hope they don't waste it on any player that is one dimensional. one trick ponys become useless when their trick isn't working. i like people who can hit open shots (read my sig), but i don't like them in the top 10.

two guys who should be in the 6-10 range that i really like:
    brandon roy (all around 6-6 guard)
    joakim noah (big and plays with passion, skinny, but weight can be added)

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Though I still haven't watched any March Madness games, it seems Brandon Roy would be a good fit...is he attainable? we've got a lot to do this summer...a starting SG, Head will be our combo backup....backup Center.....starting PF (if Stro is traded).....backup PG (don't know if Vspan will be this one...backup SF (Bogans can handle this but we need someone who can score)

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, I didn't know much about him either, but got a chance to watch him in the SEC tournament, and the first two NCAA tournament games. Noah would be great next to Yao when you figure in he has a high BB IQ, has good footspeed and LONG arms. And he has a high motor. If he was there for the Rockets I would draft him and then shop Swift.

Yeah, Noah is only a soph, but the way he is playing now I bet he is a lottery pick and would then think he would come out.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I haven't seen Noah play but I would prefer a more experienced player who can be physical like Sheldon Williams and then try to trade Swift for a SG.
    If Brandon Roy continues with his strong play I might pick him over Sheldon.
    Getting a player like Taj Gray with our 2nd round pick might be useful too IMO.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Definiately check out Noah before you reserve judgement. But I wouldnt have a problem with Williams either. If he turned into an Antonio Davis, that would be great. But with this kid Noah, he has more upside and is a bit more dynamic. Plus his lateral quickness/footspeed is pretty good which makes up for Yao's lack thereof.

I agree with trading Swift for the SG as it would give us someone that would fit in right away. Brando Roy looks good and at 6'5" has decent size. I would consider him as well!

16. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Brandon Roy has high IQ as well. Will be able to adapt JVG's system right away.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more. We do have several needs, but after drafting Head last year, I don't see how we can feel comfortable drafting another SG. Howard is the worst PF in the Western Conference (it's not up for debate). Swift can't even get 15 minutes behind him. If you ask me, we need to draft:

A PF in the first round (there will be plenty to choose from)
    Trade Swift or Howard
    And draft Craig Smith with our Second round pick.
    We bring in the Greek to back up Alston
    We either sign a 2 in the offseason, or trade Howard or Swift (or both) for one.

We play:
    Allston and the Greek at the 1
    Head/newly aquired player/ sign back Wesley for insurance or Keep Bogans

Our PFs will be: Draft pick/Howard or Swift/ Hayes/Craig Smith (second rounder)

At least we know we'll get rebouding from that position for a change. It's just too hard to find good PFs on the market, and they are usually overpriced.

18. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

You guys are funny , except Yao and T-Mac we don't have any real valuable assets .
    None of our current players will fit the mold , of the "perfect starter" or "role player" alongside T-Mac and Yao , everybody got huge holes in their game , We need to improve on every postion to compete with the best , except for starting Sf and C .
    In reallty we don't have too many options .
    We need to draft th best players available and adjust our gameplan to players skills ( not very likely to happen under JVG ).
    The good news are that almost every year there some great players that fall for no appernt reason to the middle of the 1st Round players like D.Granger J.Smith , D.West , T.Prince ...
    The first pick of the second round also is a very valuable pick allowing us to choose some great players with question marks , players like S.Stoudmire, G.Arneas , C.Boozer ,A.Varejão with some good scouting we could get a steal .

19. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

The rockets record without Tmac finishing a game is 4-20 or somethin. When we dont score 90+ points, we are 3-30.

Some crazy stats, i think it is clear that the rockets will not win many more games.

WHoever we get, should contribute right away. I like reddick and roy. **** JVG, we need a neew system.

20. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Can someone keep a running update of our current draft position?