1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Draft Pick Tracker/Prospect Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ktvoss, Mar 18, 2006.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What are you talking about? There are trades on draft day all the time.

2. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Not last year.

Correct me if I'm wrong if there were any trades the year before though. (or the year before that)

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

With our first round pick, I would love to draft Brandon Roy, JJ Redick, Shelden Williams, or Rudy Fernandez. Second round pick someone like Denham Brown, James White, Craig Smith, or Justin Williams.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

There is always trades before, during, and after the draft.

5. ktvoss

Well I just noticed you said "ON" draft day. (They traded during the draft)Which is totally irrelevant to your other post and mines. Usually those trades on draft day are to MOVE UP.

6. ktvoss

There weren't any trades before the draft last year. (there were DURING the draft though, but they were only to MOVE UP)

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

1. Charlotte 18 49 0.269
    2. New York 19 45 0.297
    3. Portland 20 46 0.303
    4. Atlanta 20 43 0.317
    5. Toronto 24 42 0.364
    6. Orlando 24 41 0.369
    7. Minnesota 26 39 0.400
    8. Seattle 26 39 0.400
    9. Boston 27 39 0.409
    10.Golden State 27 37 0.422
    11.Houston 29 37 0.439
    12.Chicago 29 37 0.439

if you take everyones win % multiplied by games remaining and added to thier current record you can have a pretty good guess as to thier final records. for our final record i will use our win % when tmac doesn't play. i think we are 2 and 17 now.

12.chicago 36 46
    11.GSW 34 48
    10.boston 33 49
    9. seattle 32 50
    8. minny 32 50
    7. houston 31 50

again using our win % when tmac is out we mathematically should only win 1 or 2 more games. i gave us the benifit of the doubt. if everyone else wins at their current win % we will finish #7.

here are some of the best draft sites top 10 projected players:
    http://nbadraft.net/
    1. LaMarcus Aldridge 6-11 245 PF Tex. So.
    2. Rudy Gay 6-8 220 SF UConn So.
    3. Adam Morrison 6-8 220 SF Gonzaga Jr.
    4. Andrea Bargnani 6-11 240 PF Italy 1985
    5. Josh McRoberts 6-10 240 PF Duke Fr.
    6. Rodney Carney 6-7 205 SF Memphis Sr.
    7. Tyrus Thomas 6-9 218 PF LSU Fr.
    8. Randy Foye 6-3 205 PG Villanova Sr.
    9. Brandon Roy 6-5 195 SG Washington Sr.
    10. JJ Redick 6-4 190 SG Duke Sr.

http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2006
    1. Andrea Bargnani 6-11 240 PF Italy 1985
    2. LaMarcus Aldridge 6-11 245 PF Tex. So.
    3. Rudy Gay 6-8 220 SF UConn So.
    4. Adam Morrison 6-8 220 SF Gonzaga Jr.
    5. Tiago Splitter 7-0 240 PF TAU Vitoria 1984
    6. Brandon Roy 6-5 195 SG Washington Sr.
    7. JJ Redick 6-4 190 SG Duke Sr.
    8. Ronnie Brewer 6-7 200 SG Arkansas Jr.
    9. Shelden Williams 6-9 245 PF Duke Sr.
    10. Joakim Noah 6-11 230 C Florida So.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/index
    1. LaMarcus Aldridge 6-11 245 PF Tex. So.
    2. Rudy Gay 6-8 220 SF UConn So.
    3. Adam Morrison 6-8 220 SF Gonzaga Jr.
    4. Andrea Bargnani 6-11 240 PF Italy 1985
    5. Tyrus Thomas 6-9 218 PF LSU Fr.
    6. Rodney Carney 6-7 205 SF Memphis Sr.
    7. Ronnie Brewer 6-7 200 SG Arkansas Jr.
    8. Shelden Williams 6-9 245 PF Duke Sr.
    9. Randy Foye 6-3 205 PG Villanova Sr.
    10. Joakim Noah 6-11 230 C Florida So.

since we are trying to win NOW we will draft for best player available. JVG likes guys from winning programs, and usually prefers guys who stayed all 4 years.

8. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

Would JVG ever take JJ.Redick...he's got the offense we need in a starting SG, but lacks NBA defense. I think he would be a major upgrade at what we have now.

This team is full of average and below average shooters, it's time we bring in someone that can make teams pay for double teaming T-mac and Yao.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think reddick is the best and most realisitic option at this point.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Like I say, I don't think so. Shooter, one dimensional, rookie, with poor quickness and athleticism to be a decent defender in the NBA.

I think we should be going after Maggette, or Mo Pete, or Jamal Crawford, or possibly QRich, an established SG that can give us 20 and play some D. Use one of our picks as bait along with Swift and perhaps either Luther or the rights to Spanoulis, or figure out a 3 way using the TE to help attain another player that we could use as trade bait to get star level 2 guard.

Then use our other pick to get ourselves a young 4, either Shelden, Millsap, or Pops to take Stro's place. Millsap or Pops could not be worse than Stro and even though they would be rookies, they would no doubt give us everything Stro is giving us and more.

11. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

I know we're suffering bad shooting problems, but this team has surely got more than 2 wins left in them. You really think Minny, Seattle and Golden State are all going to finish ahead of us in the standings?

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't care what his defense is like, if JJ Redick is available at our likely pick (10-14), then I say we take him. He can pull-up for three behind a screen better than just about anybody I've ever seen, including T-mac. And he's not just taking advantage of the shorter college 3. A lot of his makes are from 25 ft out.

Besides, I don't buy this, "we got short guards so we have to play help D" theory. JVG's defense collapses on penetration. He's been doing that for 3 years now, and regardless of whether we have SGs that can defend one-on-one or not, we still give them help. And with these hand-check rules, a determined penetrator can get into the lane against anybody. So even if Redick can't stay in front of his guy, that doesn't change how we perform on defense. And at least Redick can score on our end.

There's no reason why Redick can't play as effectively as Jon Barry. And frankly even better because Barry couldn't pull-up going left or right as well as Redick can. And how good would we be with a young Jon Barry right now. Not to mention the fact that we'd have a young trio can could potentially duplicate our key guys from last year. Redick would be Barry of course. Head would be Wesley, an undersized SG who can defend pretty well and hit the 3 (Luther's shot seems to be coming around lately). Bogans could be Sura without the playmaking, since they are both gritty rebounders and scrappy defenders who are tough and can run the floor.

That guard-by-committee worked well for us last year when we could plug in guys with different strengths next to Yao and T-mac, depending on matchups. I don't see why we can't go back to doing that next year.

13. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

Please dont make stuff up to support your arguments. :rolleyes:
    This statement is totally and completely WRONG. Not only are trades allowed on draft day, they are also allowed before it.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Qrich/Kurt Thomas trade was done the day before the draft last year. The knicks didn't swap picks to move up, they just got the sun's pick in the deal. The trading period begins the day after the finals end.

15. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Agreed... he will look like a superstar playing with Yao and TMAC. THe amount of wide open jumpers that he will get will be ridiculous..

He couldl be our version of Jeff Hornacek... That guy would hit EVERY wide open shot... We need some of that

16. pchan

pchan Member

Would JJ reddick get any PT under JVG if he can't play good defense and is a rookie?

I don't know.. if we do get him, I hope he changes his name to J.J. Bowen, that way he can get on the floor ;)

17. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I don't think any rookie deserves that. :D

18. sun12

sun12 Member

I would rather sign Trajan Langdon for league minimum and save the draft pick for some other players. Langdon had better shooting percentages than JJ and he was also from the Duke program some years ago.

19. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

If any of you guys think the Rockets will get a championship with Juwan Howard as the starting 4, well, your sorely mistaken. End of story. We must get another starting 4 with more of a physical influence. And if that means starting Swift, so be it. Maybe he will mature....but you know what you get with Jho, and that is softness and inconsistency.

20. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Damn why does LaMarcus Aldridge have to be so high profile? Why can't he be one of those inknown commodities we love so very much. That way we could draft him at our pick which will probably be higher than 8 right?

If you guys want a shooter, JVG has to go. He won't let any shooter get into a rythym, ever. His style of coaching doesn't really result in "lights-out" percentages from our shooters. I would love having Redick or someone along the lines that would make teams pay for doubling Yao/T-Mac. I still think Rafer needs to get in that gym this summer and shoot a myriad of jumpers so he can shoot better.

If we could get a backcourt that could shoot the ball well consistently, I think the PF will be minimized. It won't go away, but it would be minimized. All we'll need the PF for is offensive boards and put-backs and helping Yao out on the defensive end and the odd block or 2. Maybe Swift could also stretch out the defense with his mid range J.