1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Draft Pick Tracker/Prospect Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ktvoss, Mar 18, 2006.

1. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Pittsnogle in the 2nd round. He has a nice shot like Troy Murphy and has more tatts than Birdman.

2. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

"Originally Posted by hashmander
    The worst that could happen is if Redick turns into another Jeff Hornacek."

I never said, that, why would you attach my name to that?

3. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

You obviously never saw him play in Toronto, so how can you talk about his previous stops? JVG didn't turn him into a defensive stopper, he's always had the tools and even in Orlando he would play defense in spurts (clutch time and the playoffs). The only thing that changed between Orlando and Houston was the offensive load. He has help in Houston so he doesn't have to do all the work on offense and then be expected to put in an equal amount of effort on defense. Even the Bulls had Pippen to guard the other team's top perimeter player so that Jordan wouldn't get worn down.

And not playing hard on defense in the 2nd half of a season (2003-04) where your team's season has gone to hell is not a reflection on anything IMO. Yao obviously isn't putting in the same effort on defense now. Who cares because you can't expect him to do everything. There was a big ole thread with people getting mad at JVG for pointing it out.

Oh and we will have a top 10 pick ... IMHO.

#83 hashmander, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think a SG is our biggest need right now. With the emergence of Yao, we are not as desperate for a rebounder IMO.

With that said, I hope we look for our SG through FA. Redick will most likely be there, but I'm not completely sold on the kid.

Bonzi Wells and Jason Terry will be available this summer, picking up one of these guys would be sweet.

5. Got Em

Got Em Member

I would love to have brandon roy, but the only problem is that he CAN'T shoot threes. This is our biggest need and he doesn't even shoot enough college threes. His midrange jumper is very good, but he doesn't have range like JJ. At this point, I would just draft sheldon williams and trade swift for a 2/3 that can shoot (mo pete).

6. dream2franchise

In the event that we end up with a top 10 pick, unlikely but it is a lottery. Anybody be partial to trading it with Stro and whatever else outside of ming and mac for a superstar on a rebuilding team? Truth?

Or swapping it with a team with a slightly higher pick and one of their assets?

I'm torn between drafting a shooter/slasher or a rebounder/shot swatter :(

Drafts make me nervous--you just never know what you're gonna get-Stro is an example.

7. 523744

523744 Member

Sheldon Williams in the first..Dee Brown in the second (if he is there)...acquire proven SG thru free agency (bonzi maybe?)

8. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Count me on board the Shelden Williams bandwagon. He reminds me of Buck Williams.

9. hansgee

hansgee Contributing Member

Shelden Williams has a nice touch inside and a good basketball IQ, we definetly need to cut down turnovers. JJ Reddick is a very tempting prospect if still available. The guy is a dead straight shooter.

10. micah1j

micah1j Member

We need shooting bad

J-J-RE-DICK
    CLAP-CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP

J-J-RE-DICK
    CLAP-CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP

11. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I haven't heard anyone talk about Marcus Williams, the PG from UConn. He knows how to get the ball to people, and he is not afraid to feed the post. In fact, he'll force feed the post players every chance he gets. He doesn't have NBA range on his shot though, but he can really pass.

12. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Agreed. Or trade Swift+Howard for Q-Rich. :p

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Gansey from West VA will give you everything reddick will including the first round pick you didn't waste on reddick.

I am also on the Sheldon Williams band wagon in the first.

Hey, has anyone discussed signing Stevie Franchise to a 10 day contract and sending him to the draft to polish the ping-pong balls. :D :D

14. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Hmm... I wonder if Ronnie Brewer could fit with us.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

last draft was guard-heavy, it's looking like it will be more forward orientated this draft.

anyway, with tracy, jho, and swift on the roster, rocks can afford a bad pick if they choose a forward. it would make more sense to sign/trade for a proven starter at sg, especially since there isn't anyone there to fallback on. swift was like a draft pick, an unknown quality as a starter, rockets can't make the same mistake next season.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sounds good. Enter Shelden and QRich.

Or Pietrus and Murphy.

Or Shelden and Corey Maggette.

Or Shelden and Darius Miles.

Or Shelden and Mo Pete.

17. dream2franchise

NBAdraft.net has williams dropping to 17, any reasons? I also want williams but man do we need some shooters here as well...still torn

18. ktvoss

I feel this topic is going to end up like the "[Official] Bush Or Young or Someone else" in the Texans, Astros, Comets forum...

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, we need shooters. But they've got to be athletic and be able to play defense otherwise we are wasting time bringing them here to rot on the bench. Van Gundy simply won't play them. I think we're better off to get a Shelden if he is actually there when we pick and then see if we can jettison Swift and maybe the 2nd round pick to Toronto for Mo Pete.

We don't just need a shooter on offense. We need a scorer and a finisher. How many layups did we miss tonight? Bogans isn't finishing worth....., Rafer sure isn't finishing, Luther hasn't finished all season. We need a 3rd scorer, that is a shooter that can take it to the hole and finish.

Mo Pete, Maggette, etc.

20. ktvoss

What's your trade proposal for these guys? We have crap. Stro and Head don't add up to Mo Pete or Maggette.