1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Trading Deadline - Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So basically a deal that helps the Astros, but doesn't blow them away should not be accepted?

2. redsmitty03

redsmitty03 Member

This should be an interesting deadline. Clearly, we need help. How will we approach getting it is the question. Can't wait?

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would explore a trade for Kemp. A .290 25+ HR guy is greatly needed. I used to think Chris Burke and his .260 avg was just an awful hitter. But outside of Altuve and Springer I'd rather replace the other 7 with 7 Chris Burkes. Thats how bad we are at hitting. I also want them to tank so maybe Kemp gets traded in the offseason.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Chris Carter has a higher OPS than Kemp over the last 2 years and Kemp make 40x what Carter does.

I'm not saying this to make Carter look good either.

5. astros123

astros123 Member

lol cmon man

6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kemps struggles are injuries nothing more. The guy can still hit. 30-34 will be his prime years. Hitting to crawford will be easy for this guy.

7. what

what Member

Who in the hell would even consider trading Dallas Keuchel. Better NOT!

8. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

i saw that. Everyone knows we will trade so he is just trolling

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Better get some REALLY good prospects

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nobody is untouchable. The closest thing in our organization is Carlos Correa.

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

At what point do we stop trading every player we develop that turns out to be good? I understood trading older vets, but to trade a guy like Dallas makes no sense to me.

12. juicystream

Lets say the Cubs call, and offer up Anthony Rizzo or Kris Bryant. One is a young all-star 1B, the other is a MLB ready #1 prospect that figures to compete for MVPs. Would you not entertain those types of offers for Keuchel?

We are at the point where we quit making calls trying to trade away good players. But failing to listen would be a mistake.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The problem is your scenario isn't realistic. I never said we shouldn't listen -- might as well fire a GM if he doesn't listen to trade offers.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not going to happen. Yes, Astros should trade him if a team makes a ridiculously good offer, but for all intents and purposes, Keuchel will be an Astro unless another team makes a mistake.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yes, I know, Jon Heyman, but...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>astros telling teams chad qualls isnt going anywhere. <a href="http://t.co/UwRpE5oXoQ">http://t.co/UwRpE5oXoQ</a></p>&mdash; Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/statuses/494858238588764162">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> “very, very busy” with calls on Cosart. Have taken Keuchel off the market.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/494858515308367872">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

I'd bet money that if we move Cosart, it is in part due to an attitude problem.

18. juicystream

It is realistic if another team believes Keuchel is the real deal. Young controllable talented pitchers are incredibly valuable to a team.

The Cubs are deep in position players, but lack pitching. A deal with them makes perfect sense, once again, If they believe Keuchel is the real deal. It is also the type of deal that makes more sense in the offseason, as neither team is contending.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He isn't untouchable, but no team will be willing to trade a top flight prospect for Chad Qualls. Right now this organization has more mid-level prospects than we know what to do with.

Cosart is interesting. I'm not sure if we could get value based on his floor/ceiling combo at the moment. We really need bats, but so does everybody these days.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I see Carter rumors. Selling at peak value sounds good to me. But for a team in need of bats...