1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Trading Deadline - Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jul 22, 2014.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

paying big money to reclamation projects sounds like an awful idea

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Kemp is unhappy while playing for a team 9 games over .500, because he isn't the everyday CF.

For some reason, I kind of doubt he would all of the sudden be happy playing left or DH for the Astros

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

With the Rays getting back into contention, they would make a good trading partner if we are willing to move Corp or Castro.

4. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Just posted by Rosenthal:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...-rumors-notes-ken-rosenthal-jon-morosi-072714

Would anyone be opposed to moving Cosart? Let another team deal with his attitude.

5. juicystream

6. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I have no issue moving Cosart.

Cosart & Santana for Pederson?

7. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I'd be more open to it Appel were on track or Folty was banging down the door or had we drafted Rodon and he was looking good. I'm not sure we have enough emerging arms to deal a guy like Keuchel who we have under control.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But if his value is as high as it is ever going to be, they need to explore it.

Also, remember that Kuechel had nowhere near the "upside" or minor league track record that Folty or any of the other emerging AA/AAA arms had. Yes, some guys figure it out later (especially lefties) so you don't want to totally give up on them after their first failures, but Dallas could be another version of Wandy (who was good, never great, and ultimately overpaid).

I think Shirley could be a real nice emerging lefty starter who could be up here as soon as next year.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Exactly. He could also be another version of Lucas Harrell, who we all thought was going to be a staple in our rotation for years to come, after over-achieving out of nowhere a couple years ago. It sure would have been nice to sell high on him.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Orioles in serious talks about Dallas K and Jared Cosart.... interesting.

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Orioles are interested in the Astros' Dallas Keuchel and Jarred Cosart.
    The O's don't want to give up one of their better pitching prospects for a rental like Jon Lester and instead are focused more on players that they'd control longer. Both Keuchel and Cosart have yet to reach arbitration, so they'd fit the bill. The Orioles have also dealt with the Astros in the past, having acquire Bud Norris at the deadline last season. Related: Jarred Cosart, OriolesSource: CBSSports.com

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It should take a lot to pry Keuchel from the Astros. He's had a few bad games, but looks to be coming out of it. Correa can't get to the majors fast enough to help him.

12. juicystream

Dylan Bundy is a start, but his struggles in his comeback make him alone not enough.

13. MrBear1

Cosart for Christian Walker & Zach Davies?

14. juicystream

Especially given that Keuchel's problems might have been related to a health issue. Even then, he wasn't terrible.

He hasn't failed to go 5 innings this season.

15. MrBear1

Astros Looking To Move Chris Carter
    By Steve Adams [July 30, 2014 at 3:11pm CDT]
    3:11pm: Though Seattle is in need of offense, the Mariners don’t have interest in Carter, a source tells Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle (Twitter link).

3:08pm: The Astros are looking to trade first baseman/DH Chris Carter, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post (Twitter link).

The 27-year-old Carter has plenty of power, as evidenced by the 50 homers he’s mashed since Opening Day 2013 (21 this season). However, the righty slugger is hitting just .212 with a .291 OBP despite a .474 slugging percentage that is huge, considering his paltry batting average.

Carter also comes with limited defensive value. He has some experience in left field, but the results haven’t been pretty (-29.6 UZR/150, -7 DRS in 509 innings). Carter will be eligible for arbitration for the first time this offseason and is under team control through 2018.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good luck with that, Stros.

17. HstnSprtsFan101

It better be one heck of a haul we get back if we part ways with Keuchel. No reason to move him unless it's an offer we can't refuse.

Cosart & Carter are guys I hope get moved

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's only 27??? I would have guessed 30, 31...

I sure hope their approach, with all these guys, is: blow me away or no deal. There should be asbolutely zero compromise.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I have no problem with them giving Carter away.

20. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

To funny!! :rolleyes:
    Now, Drew is trolling the Astros -

"@HoustonsOwnDrew: Nice trade Astros"

This guy will never give up.