1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the going price for Dragic by the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 20, 2014.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

If the Nuggets decide to tank I'd ofer Jones or Capela plus the NY pick for Nurkic.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Even better! Thanks for clarifying......

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

because the rockets first and second units are useless when harden isn't on the floor.

4. Nook

Nook Member

They certainly can deal Thomas or Bledsoe. However dealing Thomas and signing Dragic to the max only increases their salary commitments by another 7 million a year and shrink their cap space further. They can deal Bledsoe but there hasn't been a single source saying they want to. Ofcourse dealing either Thomas or Bledsoe could blow up in their face if Dragic walks.

Many scenarios are possible but what is likely?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would be pretty funny if the Suns move Thomas and then Gogi leaves in FA

6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

May not be the worst thing if it opened up max space for a big man.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Space is awesome, but Phoenix isn't exactly the hottest destination, also which player would you see them targeting?

8. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Not sure they have a realistic chance of getting a really good big like Love, Aldridge, or Gasol. Probably stuck taking a chance on overpaying Monroe, Jefferson, Lopez, or Jordan.

9. baubo

baubo Member

They had enough money to give max to two free agents, including Melo and LeBron, last year and still retain Bledsoe and Dragic. No one took their money. That pretty much sums up what players think of that city.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Dragic is making it no secret that he wants to be traded. Multiple interviews now where he's said he will "explore" free agency. I also think there is something to the "follow, unfollow, follow" dance he did with the Rockets twitter page.

The posturing by Phoenix is eerily similar to Boston. For the longest time, Rondo remained "part of our (Bostons) long term plans''. And then he wasn't. The same will be true this time.

I don't really doubt that we could get Dragic RIGHT NOW if we were willing to pay the price PHX is asking. My guess is they want the NOP 1st, DMo and expirings. We are offering the NOP 1st and expirings.

I think the teams end up settling on NOP 1st, Llull, TJones, and expirings for Dragic and Tolliver.

I agree with BBHollic that our big man rotation will be very important in the playoffs, and Wright is a great backup to Dwight. I think Capela, Shved and the NYK 2nd could get it done.

Dragic / Beverley
    Harden / Beverley
    Ariza / Brewer
    DMo / KPap
    Howard / Wright

The issue with this lineup? Les would really have to open up the pocket book next summer. Beverley, Dragic, Wright, and Brewer would all be free agents. KPap could be a free agent. The following summer you have to pay DMo and Dwight. Major luxury tax.

11. baubo

baubo Member

Btw, on the whole Durant thing, getting Dragic actually won't hurt that. because the NBA seemingly don't want to bump the cap next year, Dragic will probably only sign a starting salary of maybe $16-17milish. The Rockets can give 5 years to make up for the lesser per-year earning. Harden+Dwight+Dragic+some minimum players will only be $60mil or so, just enough to give Durant a slightly lesser than max money. If Dwight is willing to opt out and remain on a lesser per-year salary, with a wink-wink deal that we'll take care of him, then we can probably retain DMo too. Ariza can be traded by then because his contract will be quite cheap with the cap increase.

Morey can make Durant-to-Houston happen if Durant wants Houston.

12. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Good analysis as usual but why do you think that Wright can be that back up. I seen him some but not a lot and he never seemed to be that quality big but maybe he is.

I really do like Dragic and think him and Harden would be a nice match up but I just can't see going for him unless we can secure the front court needed as you have shown with the line ups we will go against in the playoffs. Pretty formidable teams we will have to run the gauntlet on.

13. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

While this is true. I think OKC would probably call Durant on that one. Especially in that situation where they wouldn't be getting anything of real value (because we would have nothing else of real value in that scenario) back from Houston, would be losing their cornerstone, and would be sending him to a Western Conference foe and making them, essentially, unbeatable.

14. basketballholic

Very simply. Wright brings the most important key skill that you can get from a big. Great pick-and-roll defense and rim protection. He's a great defensive big that blocks a lot of shots and on the other end he doesn't take up touches but runs a great pick-and-roll himself.

Having Dwight and Wright gives you 48 minutes of paint and rim protection. And then you mix in DMo and I think that's a great trifecta of bigs.

Wright is Asik sans Asik's elite rebounding but with superior mits to Asik. That's the way I view him.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I keep forgetting we have Capela (along with expirings) in case we want to nab a Brandon Wright in the same quest that puts Goran back here in Houston.

A big rotation of Dmo, Wright, and, uh, what's his name, Dwight, to go with a Harden Goran Pbev guard lineup? Sweet.

16. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Don't forget Ariza and Brewer on the wing.

17. baubo

baubo Member

I wasn't speaking of trade. I was speaking of cap room to sign him as a FA.

You think if given the choice, Durant would choose Westbrook, who may leave in a year, and Ibaka, who also may leave in a year, instead of Dwight Howard, James Harden, and Goran Dragic?

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he won't be traded

19. split41

split41 Member

Um, Dragic was 3rd team all-nba last year. GMs value of Dragic is higher than Rondo's.

20. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

and a good chance Dallas adds Jermaine O'Neal to their mix....