1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the going price for Dragic by the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 20, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When again does Eric Bledsoe become eligible for trades? Given the Rockets issues with re-signing after the trade and pursuing Dragic in straight up free agency, it might be that Bledsoe is the more realistic target.

I always thought all along that the Suns were really just resigning him in order to not lose an asset for nothing. Gogi is the better of the two players, is more likely to get an all-star nod in the near future (maybe not this year anymore), and is probably their face of the franchise.

Bledsoe might actually make more sense for the Rockets in the longrun as his deal (while overpriced now) won't look bad at all in 2 years when the cap goes crazy. He's also a better defensive player than Gogi.

As I mentioned, I do think Dragic is the better player, but Bledsoe might be the more attainable player once he's eligible to be traded & potentially has room to grow in the future a little bit more.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really love this thread from Rox>Mavs! Love the breakdown with bullet points and how it really drills down the scenarios.

* Who are the realistic suitors?
    * What is the "minimum accepted value" that PHX will accept for a Dragic trade?
    * Will PHX trade Dragic?

The Dallas/Rondo trade helped in two ways. 1) It took Dallas off the PG market. They were high up there in the suitor category. 2) It revealed a market value for Rondo as it relates to Dragic.

* I believe Rondo is valued HIGHER than Dragic and thus would net a higher value in return.
    * Rondo's value ended up being
    1) (because of protections) a 2016 in the 20's 1st round pick
    2) A late 2nd round pick
    3) Filler (Crowder)
    4) Brenden Wright - A quality player, BUT…BUT an expiring contract for a BIG that will want to get PAID. If Ainge can flip Wright again for an asset then that is one thing, but if not, Wright goes into FA with a number of teams lining up to overpay him. Wright would be more of an asset here to Boston if he was under contract another year.

Remember, last trade deadline a quality bench C (that was expiring) fetched 2 2nd round picks. This was the Spencer Hawes trade. So we can assume that if Ainge flips Wright again, he will get 2 2nd round picks.

That Rondo trade now looks like: Late 20's 1st rounder, 3 2nd round picks, Filler.

So, look at that haul. Not great in my opinion. Ainge waited too late. And PHX is waiting to late on Dragic.

Dragic's value?

PHX could have gotten a lot more from the Rockets if it would have traded Dragic over the summer or to start the season. Now the price is coming down. Sharply!

Personally? I think the NOP 1st round pick is OFF the table (which is better than anything in the Rondo deal). I think DMO is off the table (better than anything Boston got, including Wright since he is EXPIRING) and I am 50/50 on Kpap being available. One, or perhaps both could have been available to PHX over the summer. Not now. Sorry PHX.

Now, I think Morey is working with some combination of these assets/salaries
    Rockets 2017 1st round pick
    Rockets best 2nd round pick (NYK 2015) and other 2nd rounders
    Terrence Jones
    Isaiah Canaan / Nick Johnson
    Clint Capella
    Shved / Terry (salary filler).

I could see: Rockets 2017 1st rounder (lottery protected) + NYK 2nd round 2015 (maybe a 2nd 2nd rounder) + $asset (T Jones or Canaan or Capella) + salary (Shved or Terry)

That deal would be comparable to the Rondo deal. And remember, Rondo is thought of HIGHER than Dragic.

Will Dragic be traded?
    -The Suns gave PG Eric Bledsoe the max.
    -The Suns signed PG I Thomas to a rich deal.
    -The Suns drafted PG Tyler Ennis in the 2014 1st round.

*They are all younger than Dragic. Dragic has to fight with Bledsoe/Thomas/Gerald Green for minutes.
    *Dragic has REPEATEDLY said his upcoming FA is OPEN. Every stop this team makes in every city that will have eventual cap room, this comes up. Dragic is sending a CLEAR signal to the Suns. In theory, they would have 'home court advantage' in FA, but Dragic doesn't sound like he will give them that. He clearly is disgruntled.
    * The Suns see what happened with Rondo. And they will read the tea leaves that if they don't move Dragic NOW, FOR SOMETHING, they will risk losing him. I would say a HIGH risk.

*Rockets know this. They know the trade climate. The price has been set. There are not a lot of suitors.

Dragic to the Rockets just makes a lot of sense.

3 people like this.
  3. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

Wow. You couldn't be more wrong about Wright's skill set. He's below average on that end in every aspect.

4. basketballholic

Prove it.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Great comments Deuce! Thanks for the insight on the going price for Wright using Hawes as a comp from last year. I think the high NYK 2nd + expiring salary gets the job done IMO. I said this in another thread but personally I'd give a little extra if needed to acquire him. It'd be a nice "screw u" to the mavs.

It's interesting reading the posts in the josh smith and Cybrex thread because a lot of folks here think acquiring as Smith allows us to trade Dmo for dragic. Which I think it's true we are more capable of doing so if we signed smith, but I still see no reason to do it. It might be what dragic is worth, but why pay more if you have to?

The only real reason to offer more than the NOP pick (let alone the package you suggested) is if we really believe PHX would rather just keep him into the summer and the only way they'd do that is if they think our offer is so low they'd take the risk of him walking on them. NOP pick + KPap and throw in a young prospect in Capela for good measure if that's what it takes. That's about as good a deal I think PHX could get. Heck of a lot better than rolling the dice on FA this summer IMO.

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I just browsed through Dragic's following list.

These are the only NBA-related organizations he's following: NBA, NBA.com, NBA on TNT, Sports Center, Suns, Rockets. As mentioned before, he followed the Rockets, dropped it, and then following again.

Sign Josh Smith today. Add Dragic by trading deadline. The Rockets will be set!

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Dragic has been absolutely killing it. I really don't see PHX trading their best player now

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Great post dude. repped.

i would say shved and papa are the outsiders looking in. i see our shortened playoff rotation as:

dwight-dmo
    jones-dmo
    ariza-brewer
    harden-brewer
    bev-terry

now possibly add josh smith to that, OR replace jones with smith (if he's out that long). shved and papa are out of the rotaion come playoff time. might as well use those contracts to match salaries with dragic (or any other player at the deadline).

shved and papa are the envelope, but the cash inside can be canaan, johnson, capela, our 2017 pick, the NOP pick, 2 knicks second rounders.

i would not include dmo or jones. jones either has no trade value due to the seriousness of his injury, or if he were healthy he would be too valuable. dmo's play at PF and C is too valuable to lose without getting a decent backup center in return. the NOP pick might be too much as well.

aside from dragic, i would offer a combination of the above package for lawson or faried, dwill (although we'd have to add terry and others to match salaries), tobias harris, or greg monroe.

#168 smoothie, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  9. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

It's a matter of whether Dragic likes to compete for playing time with a million other PGs on the team. He'll be a free agent after the season. PHX have not much control over him by then. They'd better trade him for something now.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What would you do in their shoes?

Are you going to give him a max contract? If so, why aren't they having that conversation now with him? If not, he walks unless they think they will offer him more than he can get anywhere else.

If you don't want to give him the max then you better trade him now.

So that's the question - will the Suns give him a max contract with all those point guards they already have?

11. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Everyone here likes Dragic so he is magically available.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I like the optimism but...

A. I don't think most GM's at this point would prefer Rondo over Dragic or assign him a higher value. We certainly don't.

B. The Suns aren't going to take a bum deal for Dragic just because of an apparent lack of suitors and have everybody toast Morey as a genius again at their expense. On the other side of the table, they'r not calculating the "minimum expected value" for Dragic and setting it as their drop dead floor, and taking him for damaged goods and filler.

They're calculating Morey's maximum value of Dragic, which certainly includes Papanikolau, and probably at least one, and probably two of Motiejunas, the Pelicans Pick and Jones (if Smith is on board).

If Dragic ends up on the Rockets, it's because the Rockets value him highly. This is no secret, and so value will be obtained in return, in all likelihood.

13. basketballholic

I think I'd trade Bledsoe for more value than I can trade Goran for. Bledsoe is signed and sealed for 5 years. They wanted to pay him $12 million a year for 4 years. They wound up paying him $14 million a year for 5 years. So that should tell us something. They really feel like they're overpaying for Bledsoe and he's been injured an awful lot. Combine that with the fact that the negotiations didn't go well and it's pretty obvious that their teammates prefer Goran to Bledsoe.

And they've got a waiting trade partner(s) for Bledsoe in Minnesota and Houston.

PHX will get more out of the trade if they trade Bledsoe. But then they've got to really commit to giving Dragic big money instead of shorting him. Becuase he could walk on them.

So PHX can get more back by trading Bledsoe but it comes with a higher risk since Goran isn't signed long-term.

Because:

1. They can't extend him. They can only sign him as a free agent. Why would they make a verbal commitment to him at this point? When he can go out the next day and bust his knee to pieces in a career-ending injury?

Or wait and figure out whether they can trade IT or Bledsoe for a better deal than they are being offered for Goran.

They didn't want to give Bledsoe the max. They didn't give Bledsoe the max. Goran's max is going to be $20-30 million more than Bledsoe's. No, they don't want to give him the max. They'd like to give him just a little bit more than anybody else will give him.

But that's not the whole issue with Dragic now. Dragic is seeing role as a big part of the equation. That's why he's brought up the Knicks and considering them. He knows he could possibly be the man there, the team be his. Like Lowry in Toronto. And what it appears to be in PHX with Bledsoe now as the primary lead guard. So he's made it clear he's going to explore free agency and that has CRATERED his trade value.

Does anybody think for one minutes that Morey is going to give up either of DMo or the Pels pick for Dragic when he is committed to exploring free agency????

If you do, better think again. The most, the very most, Morey will give up for Dragic is one of those two pieces. And he'll only do that if he is convinced he has very high odds of re-signing Dragic.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Can't the Suns trade one of their other point guards, and then keep Dragic?

15. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

They can and I think that's what they're exploring now. It's still high risk though bc regardless Dragic is a UFA this summer. As others have stated LAL or NYK could give him max money or at least more than they're willing to offer. Those situations would offe him more money and a greater level of responsibility than in PHX.

To trade one of the other two away to keep him they'd have to feel really good about him staying.

To SamFisher, it's true PHX knows how much Morey values Dragic and is asking closer to that value. My suspicion is though morey knows PHX is in a greater bind than Hou is and so he's waiting closer to the deadline to see what they do with the pressure. The real issue is one of Bledsoe or Dragic has to go. I think morey will be ready to take either with a deal that is just slightly better than what the market is offering.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

People here love Lowry too, but do you see anyone realistically thinking we can get him? The Suns have a logjam at the position and are in a position where trading him makes sense. We talked about Love and Rondo too and guess what, they were available but just out of our price range.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

It all depends. Right now PHX is on a role and OKC has been sliding. That will fix itself when Durant comes back. PHX needs to be convinced they will miss the playoffs before they will trade Dragic.

So far, most trade scenarios are just Houston getting Dragic for picks, young players and expirings. Any trade for Dragic will likely include a 3rd team and multiple players going in and out. Something like:

Houston In: Dragic
    Houston Out: NOP 1st, Capela, Papanikolaou, Canaan

Sac In: Papanikolaou, Canaan
    Sac Out: Stauskas

PHX In: NOP 1st, Stauskas, Capela
    PHX Out: Dragic

18. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Agreed. These pressure factors on PHX will remain whether they make the playoffs or not, as long as they are not contenders I think.

Moreover, I seem to remember Morey saying (a while back) that he would be willing to overspend for the right piece when they reached contender status. Would Dragic be that final piece? Probably.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Stating the obvious here, but the Rockets signing of Josh Smith just opens up more player/asset options to trade for Goran Dragic.

Now we just need the Suns to start losing some games and the Thunder to start winning games to solidify their position as the 8+ seed.

Finsraider's deal isn't bad. From PHX's perspective that is THREE 1st round picks for Dragic.

20. bigred77

bigred77 Member

How does Terry + Canaan + NOP pick + Knicks 2nd not get this done either now or before the trade deadline comes?