1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the going price for Dragic by the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Here is a list of the entire leagues starting backcourt. I'm going to go through the list and begin narrowing down the list of teams in the running for Dragic.

Western Conference Teams:

GSW - Curry / Klay
    MEM - Conley / Lee
    POR - Lillard / Matthews
    HOU - Beverly / Harden
    DAL - Rondo / Ellis
    LAC - CP3 / Redick
    SAS - Parker / Green
    PHX - Dragic / Bledsoe
    NOP - Holiday / Evans
    OKC - Westbrook / Roberson
    DEN - Lawson / Afflalo
    SAC - Collison / McLemore
    LAL - Price / /Bryant
    UTH - Burke / Burks
    MIN - Rubio / LaVine

Eastern Conference Teams

TOR - Lowry / Vasquez
    WSH - Wall / Beal
    ATL - Teague / Korver
    CHI - Rose / Butler
    CLE - Irving / James
    MIL - Knight / Mayo
    MIA - Cole / Wade
    BOS - Smart / Bradley
    BKN - DWill / Bogdanovic
    ORL - Oladipo / Fournier
    IND - Stuckey / Hill
    CHA - Walker / Stephenson
    DET - Jennings / Caldwell
    NYK - Calderon / Shumpert
    PHI - MCW / Thompson

Isolating teams that would see Dragic as an upgrade to their current PG position.

GSW - Curry / Klay
    MEM - Conley / Lee
    POR - Lillard / Matthews
    HOU - Beverly / Harden
    DAL - Rondo / Ellis
    LAC - CP3 / Redick
    SAS - Parker / Green
    PHX - Dragic / Bledsoe
    NOP - Holiday / Evans
    OKC - Westbrook / Roberson
    DEN - Lawson / Afflalo
    LAL - Price / /Bryant
    UTH - Burke / Burks
    MIN - Rubio / LaVine

Eastern Conference Teams

TOR - Lowry / Vasquez
    WSH - Wall / Beal
    ATL - Teague / Korver
    CHI - Rose / Butler
    CLE - Irving / James
    MIL - Knight / Mayo
    MIA - Cole / Wade
    BOS - Smart / Bradley
    BKN - DWill / Bogdanovic
    ORL - Oladipo / Fournier
    IND - Hill / Stuckey
    PHI - MCW / Thompson

Now we'll isolate teams that either Dragic would likely resign with or teams willing to take the risk of trading for Dragic without any assurances of him resigning

HOU - Beverly / Harden
    SAS - Parker / Green
    DEN - Lawson / Afflalo
    LAL - Price / /Bryant
    UTH - Burke / Burks
    MIN - Rubio / LaVine

Eastern Conference Teams

MIL - Knight / Mayo
    MIA - Cole / Wade
    BKN - DWill / Bogdanovic
    ORL - Oladipo / Fournier
    IND - Stuckey / Hill
    PHI - MCW / Thompson

Here is the list of remaining teams I think could be in the hunt for Dragic. I casted a wide net to be more conservative about the market competition. As with Rondo, if Dragic begins to leak what teams he is likely to resign with, the field narrows down considerably and drives the price down, but for now we haven't heard anything other than that he's open to a number of teams out in the market.

HOU - Beverly / Harden
    SAS - Parker / Green
    LAL - Price / /Bryant
    MIA - Cole / Wade
    MIL - Knight / Mayo
    IND - Stuckey / Hill
    DEN - Lawson / Afflalo
    MIN - Rubio / LaVine
    PHI - MCW / Thompson

Of these teams, the following are the ones with max cap space. This is important for leverage reasons. PHX needs to be motivated knowing Dragic could really walk to any one of these teams this summer. Even if there's just one legitimate threat, PHX has to inclined to consider moving him at the deadline instead of him walking to one of these teams.

SAS - Parker / Green
    LAL - Price / /Bryant

MIA - Cole / Wade
    MIL - Knight / Mayo
    IND - Stuckey / Hill
    DEN - Lawson / Afflalo
    MIN - Rubio / LaVine
    PHI - MCW / Thompson

LAL, NYK, SAS are legit threats to be able to have the space to sign Dragic in FA. The others I doubt he'd willingly go there with those 3 as options.

Now all that remains is to see what each of these teams have to offer PHX for Dragic. Here is a list of assets each of these teams have to offer in a trade package for Dragic:

SAS Offer: Own 2015 + 2017 1st (both mid 20's) + Green + Belinelli

LAL Offer: HOU 2015 1st (Mid 20's) + LAC 2nd + Hill

NYK Offer: Own 2015 & 2017 1st + Shump or Hardaway + Calderon

MIA Offer: Own 2017 1st + (Deng) OR (Napier + McRoberts)

SAC Offer: Own 2018 1st + Derrick Williams

MIL Offer: Own 2015 & 2017 1st + LAC 1st (15-30) + (Henson + Filler) OR (Ilyasova)

IND Offer: Own 2015 & 2017 1st + West

DEN Offer: Own 2015 & 2017 1st + Chandler OR Mosgov

MIN Offer: Own 2017 1st + Thad Young

PHI Offer: MIA 1st + Own 2017 1st + (Any of the young prospects)

*The draft pick information is based off of RealGM

Many of you probably know the asset and player situation of these teams better than I do and can probably attest to whether there is a better or more realistic package any of these teams can put together. I just wanted to put something together to see what other possible competitors for the Dragic sweepstakes are capable/willing to offer.

Please feel free to add to or edit the offers from each team.

I think PHI, MIN, DEN can all put together picks more valuable than our NOP pick along with players to boot. The chances of Dragic staying with these teams is slim, yet I wanted to at least account for teams that might be willing to risk it regardless. If these teams are willing to take the risk, I don't think we can beat the offers they can put together.

Of the teams that remain I think

NOP pick + anyone except Harden, Howard, Dmo

is capable of beating any offer.

1 person likes this.
  2. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Man I don't know how Morey has the discipline not to just offer whatever PHO wants for Gogi right now. We need him so badly

3. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

This.

idk why people think Harden HAVING to be Superman every night is sustainable or even a recipe for success.

4. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

So essentially we NEED to trade for him. Signing him as a FA may be a somewhat lateral move

5. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Rebuilding teams like PHI and MIN won't be interested in Dragic. It's teams like NYK and LAL that would be the most interested. Dragic can quickly make these teams relevant again. Of course, these teams will also be thinking of Marc Gasol. Consider Dragic or Marc as a valuable piece to get them to the playoff and to lure Durant in 2016.

Dragic's asking price for FA is going to be much higher than fans here think are reasonable. Because of the competition, don't be surprised if he gets a 14M/yr contract somewhere.

6. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

If we trade for Dragic this season and then resign him this offseason to a contract around 15 million a year, won't that take us out of the market in 2016?

I know Morey is a little obsessed with having big cap space in 2016 - if so, maybe he isn't as gung ho about trading for Dragic as most of us are?

Any cap expert want to weigh in?

7. Rox>Mavs

I'm no cap expert but I'm pretty sure this takes us out of the running in 2016. The only way to preserve space for KD is to find a bunch of one year vets and honestly our team wouldn't be built to win a title. I don't think it wise to wait for a possibility of KD when we have a chance to complete the building out of this roster with a guy like dragic. It'd be a huge risk and if it didn't pane out with KD not coming.

8. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

The chances of KD coming here are less than 1 percent. It's a joke to plan for it and I hope Morey is smarter than that.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Almost absolutely, but we can't just blow two more seasons waiting on cap space to hopefully land someone.

Yes. We have no chance of getting him in FA without losing more assets than it takes to get him in a trade and then open up the books to sign him with Bird Rights. And we would end up having to fire sale those assets if we are deep in FA and teams can hold us hostage like PHI and LA did this past July.

Agreed, but I think it is more about the Suns being completely unsure about what makes sense for them moving forward.

10. Rox>Mavs

I'm curious if you think GMs in the league value dragic much more than rondo? Both BOS and PHX face similar situations with a PG looking to explore FA and the reality that those pg's don't really fit their teams anymore. Rondo was an all star but coming off injury. Dragic is a borderline allstar but healthier.

If rondo goes for what amounts to a late 1st pick, a player worth a mid-late first, a late second and salary filler, what do you think dragic goes for? Much more than rondo? I'm asking bc I'm actually curious for others opinions. Not trying to be contrarian.

11. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't Morey holding out, it is Phoenix. Right now the Suns do not want to move Dragic right now. However it is clear to everyone that doesn't have their head buried in the sand, the Suns will most likely have to move Dragic. They have Thomas signed at half of what Dragic will cost. The Suns are going no where without major improvements and draining their cap space to resign their own guys won't fix their problems. Also Dragic has made it clear he will be open minded in free agency. All of that leads Phoenix' best interest quite possibly being dealing Dragic. He will cost more than Rondo in trade, but entering free agency and with point guards all over the place, not what Harden cost Houston or Howard cost the Lakers. The Rockets think Dragic is a realistic possibility.

12. Nook

Nook Member

My guess is better draft picks than what Boston got and a young player or two under contract. Canaan along with the Pelicans pick and Pap Smear would be enough.

13. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

We already have two superstars. We already have the best C and SG, so the time to win it all is NOW - not 2016. Morey should be thinking about doing whatever he can to help these two superstars win now instead of waiting for Durant. As an aside, Dwight might have already passed his prime in 2 years, to a level it might not worth paying him 20M/year.

Of course Morey has to balance the tradeoff with every move, but if all it takes is to send some future assets (whatever that is) and a few 8th - 15th in exchange for the league's top 30 player (Dragic was in the 3rd all-NBA team), then that's no brainer because the goal is to have the highest chance to compete for the title in the next 2 years!

2 superstars + 1 underrated star + talented role players (Bev, Ariza, DMo, Jones, Terry, and maybe Brewer) is all you can ask for. In my opinion, come playoff time if we have ~9 of those decent players, Morey would have already done his part. Whether we can win it all is then mainly on the superstars who eat up half of the salary.

But to answer your question, I think he can fit 4 15M or so player, but not 2 20M players + 2 15M players (Harden & Dragic).

14. NotChandlerParsons

[​IMG]

15. downbytheriver

Lol.what makes you think phoenix is holding on dragic? The trade season unofficially started and you can bet they haven't deluded themselves into thinking all that $$$ locked into 3 pg ' s will lead them anywhere. They trade him tomorrow with right offer. Morey has to be careful and not give up Dmo ... canaan at most.

16. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Or the Suns really want to move Thomas or Bledsoe. After all, the Suns fans all know Dragic is their best player. Dragic seems very loyal and I think Dragic will stay if the organization shows their commitment in him = pay him & solve the guard situation. One thing I can't tell is whether the Suns values youth or absolute talent more - maybe they aren't interested in a full rebuild, why should we assume that they are really interested in the picks?

17. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

focus now should be on the frontcourt...with howard having lots of injuries and jones out indefinitely..

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Phoenix might be waiting until that point where there is no doubt they'll miss the playoffs. And if the Pelicans pick is in play, same thing; will the Pels miss the postseason, giving that pick value?

Unless a 3 way trade materializes that doesn't tell Suns fans they're packing it in for the year.

19. kemah

kemah Member

lol

This. Unless we have the dominant front court before we lock the cap down we will not win a chip and be stuck for years in cap hell. Getting Dragic would make a great back court though but 2 maxes there?

20. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Why are so many people obsessed with this guy? He isn't worth the max.