1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the going price for Dragic by the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Because he has several times said he wants to be the point guard, he has not committed to Phoenix and they want to preserve salary flexibility and they won't have that with Dragic signed for the type of money he will want.

2. Nook

Nook Member

They already did.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

What could we give Phoenix that they would want? The NOP pick? Sure, that's a good start. TJones? He's redundant with the Morris twins. Canaan? He would be a downgrade of a PG. KPap? He hasn't had much playing time and his trade value is pretty low.

Again, I don't know what Phoenix wants to do. But I would imagine that they would say D-Mo or no deal (similar to the way Boston reportedly said Parsons or no deal for Rondo last year). That may or may not be the case, but if it is then I don't think we could afford to lose D-Mo, even though I would love to have Dragic. Our frontcourt would be thin and undersized without him, especially when we consider Dwight's recent injury history.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

NOP pick + Canaan > dragic walking away end of the year

5. mockster

mockster Member

They are on long contracts for cheap

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

What did Boston end up with out of Rondo? a late first round pick, 3 second rounders and Crowder. Think about this for a second, Mozgov got a better trade package than Rondo. Of course we've also become aware that there were never legit talks between Houston and Boston over Rondo, so basically anything there has been all but admitted to as media posturing.

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

Yes, but I think that Phoenix is going to try to do everything to make the playoffs this year, even if it means losing Dragic for nothing.

NOP pick and Canaan would be better for the future but would make them worse now.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

All I am saying is that the one thing that I would think Phoenix would want from our roster (D-Mo) is one of the things that I don't think we could afford to give up.

9. Aleron

Their GM was hired to basically do for their team what our GM does, rotate assets in a game of arbitrage, he's a Boston school GM (it's pretty conspicuous too, trading 2nd rounders for superfluous players at positions not in need, point guards and undersized front court players lol). Would our GM do what you're suggesting? ie hold onto a player that's publicly talking about looking elsewhere in order to make a desperate and unlikely attempt at sneaking into a first round asskicking?

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

No, I don't think Morey would do that. I also don't think Morey would have resigned their team this off season after missing the playoffs last year. I don't think Morey would have caved and given Bledsoe a max contract. He probably would have said "you want to be the guy that finds and drafts Eric Bledsoe, not given Eric Bledsoe a max contract".

Like I said in my earlier post, I might be completely wrong about Phoenix's priorities. I hope I am. But my totally non-insider, uninformed gut feeling is that Phoenix is desperate to make the playoffs. They haven't made it in awhile and they have had more success the past two years than they were expecting and I think they want to make the playoffs to show for it. Even if they get eliminated in 4 or 5 games. Even if they lose Dragic for nothing.

We will see in a couple of weeks at the deadline. I have been pulling for Phoenix to lose their games and fall to the 9 or 10 seed. They would probably be much more open to trading then

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Suns are 2-5 in their last seven games and three of their losses have come by 20 points. The Suns would be stupid to risk losing Dragic for nothing just so they could tie up over $100 million in a backcourt on a 9th seed team that's not as young as you might think. They ain't getting that Lakers pick this year, either.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I get that feeling too, especially after they almost got in last year(and in any ordinary season in a less competitive West would have). But strictly as an objective NBA fan, that's dumb long-term thinking. The only reasons to go all out this season to try to make the playoffs are because A)it means more revenue for the team, B)it generates a little bit more enthusiasm amongst the fanbase(at least til they get swept by Golden State), and C)it might(and this is a HUGE might) entice Dragic to resign with the Suns this offseason.

But even that last one may also reinforce the dumb long-term thinking argument. Having 3 point guards on the roster taking up that much caproom and that many shots per game is not a formula for a title.

13. Aleron

He gave Lin 25m and Scola 47m, it's not like he's allergic to ****ty contracts, but he is good at unwinding them.

As for their tream, this streak of games,. where they got beat by all 5 WC playoff teams by an average double figure margin, and were sorta lucky to be in any of them was pretty much it, because they've had a really easy schedule, which leads to their run home where in their last 20 games they play

Por x 2, Dal x 2, Gsw x 2, Atl x 2, Nop x 2, Hou, Lac, Okc, Sas, Cle, their only easy games in that stretch are Utah, Minny, Sacramento, Knicks and Nets, Okc on the other hand actually have more teams under 500 than over in their last 20.

#253 Aleron, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I certainly do not mind having Dragic now especially now that we know Dwight won't play much if at all in the playoffs

Still don't want to give up much

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Do the Suns still have their own 2015 draft pick? If they do you would think they could possibly pair their own pick with the Pelicans pick to move up into the lottery!!!!! Truth be told if OKC can stay healthy it would hard to bet against them not making a run for the final seed after the all star break.

16. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

Getting Dragic would probably require a 3-team deal, but that shouldn't be an impossible task if Phoenix is ready to deal.

Given that Lopez is on the market and Phoenix wants a shooting big, you'd think that opens the door to some possible deals. Assets and cost savings to Brooklyn (might have to include T Jones), Lopez to Phoenix, and Dragic to Houston.

I don't know if that is realistic or not, but my point is that we don't have to assume that we can't make a deal for Dragic just because we aren't giving up D-Mo.

17. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I wonder how Len's injury alters (if at all) the PHX FO risk assessment by the ASB. If they drop a few do they feel more pressure to make a deal? Should be an interesting couple of weeks.

18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

what no one has talked about is that does phoenix really think they will make any noise even if they make the playoffs? is that a championship team as constructed? i don't think so

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

All accounts point to Dwight coming back for the playoffs though.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Unfortunately, the question is: "How effective will he be?"