1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair: We’re working on getting a quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clowney and Mercilus play a different style even though they were often slotted in the same position. They can both contribute to the team's success. Clowney is a guy that draws and can beat double teams, Mercilus is a guy who can beat single coverage but won't ever draw double teams....much like Mack.

As to Mack and Mercilus, let's take off both of their best games last season and Mercilus ends the season with 8.5 sacks and Mack ends with 10 with 30% more snaps. Honestly Mack doesn't really move the needle if he's with the team given that we already pretty much have what he brings to the table.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, he's not elite but he's a top tier QB in his prime....I just don't see the Texans being able to make that trade happen.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DeAndre Hopkins told the Houston Chronicle he wants to spend his entire career with the Texans. <a href="https://t.co/Nw17yFZsxZ">pic.twitter.com/Nw17yFZsxZ</a></p>&mdash; NFL on ESPN (@ESPNNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/699249080476762113">February 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now we have to get an actual QB so he doesn't turn out like another Andre right?

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

a) they didn't "lose" picks; b) if they cut either player, then they weren't free agents. You can't cut free agents.

This is the same organization that passed on Bush and VY to take Williams; I don't think fan reaction was a driving force. I think there were a lot of considerations in place.

8. Hey Now!

If we're using the NFL's best organization/team as our standard, no wonder so many fans are b****ing and whining.

No; the difference is the Patriots have won four Super Bowls. Go back to 1989 and see if any Patriot fans would take the Texans' past five seasons. I bet they would.

When and where did I ever say I was settled or satisfied? I'm merely pointing out that the depth of frustration and anger doesn't match-up with the product, which, since 2011, has been pretty doggone good. Not great; but fans b****ing and whining about a team that's been to the playoff three times in the past five seasons, including the most recent one... I think people are forgetting 2002-2010...

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

FIFY.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I know we've had this conversation before...but for a lot of us, being "pretty doggone good" is getting hollow. I know you don't measure franchises by championships, but most of the rest of us do. To live in a city this big with only 2 titles to speak of is well below most other cities with 3 sports teams. It's not the Texans fault that the Rockets or Astros haven't won a title in a long while or ever....but it's the context that Houston sports fans live in.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't judge them by titles, but I do judge them by their ability to be competitive for one.

They need to get into the running and then eventually pick up one. The feeling that your team doesn't really have a chance to win a title sucks the energy out.

12. Hey Now!

I understand that... I do. I also remember me at one point asking if you'd trade places with the Browns many years ago (2007, maybe?) - a one-year winning fluke of a season that you and others readily said they'd sign up for...

Last year was the first time all 3 professional teams were in the playoffs in the same calendar year since (IIRC) 1980. You're telling me, in 2007, you would have that viewed as hollow...?

It is. But, as you said, not entirely the Texans' fault. Look, we could be Atlanta!

I understand the overall frustration; but it could be much worse and - given how barren things were just a few years ago, this seems light years better. The best? No way. But better.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't remember the Browns thing, but that's possible. I don't recall the issue or the situation.

I definitely have hope around the Astros. I'm not sure about the other 2.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Curious as to why they don't think Osweiler fits BOB's system? It seems that the only guys BOB doesn't like are QB's that like to improvise and run early. Other that than he's big and has a strong arm.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brock-osweiler?id=2533436

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Manning was cut then resigned. If they had just kept him, extra pick.

To be clear on Daniels it would have required keeping him his last year, where he was better than our TEs anyways.

Same with swearinger, but probably worth cutting him. Who knows.

16. Mr. Clutch

I don't see any reason he wouldn't fit the Texans system. They're acting kind he's Kaepernick

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we could get Stafford for the package that article suggested (1st round pick and Clowney) I'd do that in a heartbeat. But I don't really have much hope for Clowney at this point.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see what the point of going after someone like Osweiler would be....I mean, he's not a good QB. Why pick up Denver's trash?

19. Mr. Clutch

That is way too much to give up. Stafford is just an above average QB.

Clowney if healthy has pro bowl potential then throw in a top pick too?

All they should offer for Stafford is similar to the Schaub deal but lower picks

20. Hey Now!

That's where I've landed oh these many years later... Expecting a title is a ticket to perpetual disappointment, unless you're lucky enough to attach your cart to a one-in-a-million franchise - and even those fan bases have to endure loooooong stretches of awful play. Anyone thrilled to be a Laker fan right about now?...

My floor is playoff contention; from there, anything unexpected can and usually does happen. You can't have a Raven-like run if you're playing for next year, as too many fans seem to advocate if their team isn't some bona-fide title contender.

I'd much rather endure 2015 than 2013. Losing sucks.