1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair: We’re working on getting a quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rawbrah, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

42-38 since 2011; five playoff games; four winning seasons (out of five). They're 40-24 in those winning seasons and I think we all agree that 2-14 was an extreme outlier of a bad season. I'm not suggesting they would have won 10 games; but a team coming off a 2-year stretch of winning 22 games... there's just no way that core talent was only good for 2 wins that year. And, honestly, if we extend it to 2009... 57-55 with five winning seasons (out of 7).

If, in 2005, if I offered 57-55 with five playoff games and five winning seasons (out of seven), every single fan - every one - would have jumped all over it and not thought twice. We shouldn't be content - but let's also not be TOO entitled here. There are several teams that would trade the last seven seasons with the Texans...

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I expect them to realize that they still won their division on the backs of QB's like Brian F'n Hoyer (for the easy games), Brandon Weeden, and TJ Yates (best QB of the season) and that given even a halfway competent QB, the Texans are poised to make a deep playoff run, if they strike gold and find a good QB and a good RB, and have some health luck then they could very well be playing in the SB.

The idea that they are closer to being a 4 win team given what they did just last year with QB's that really shouldn't have been in the NFL at all is ridiculous IMO.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

To be clear on Nix, it wouldn't have been that bad if we didn't trade up. Busts happen, but it's really bad when you trade multiple picks for a bust

My point on Danieal Manning and OD is mainly that we lost draft picks.

I think it was fair to be concerned on Derek, but the word is he was completely off our board.

On the QB thing, I remember Kubiak going out and getting Schaub and solving the situation right away. Perhaps it's unfair to ask the same here

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Translation: You idiots will fill the stands as I command you to. Muhahaahahahaha.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's worse, sure - but I don't blame them.

Did they? Are you sure? Do you lose picks in the NFL if you cut guys?...

Man, if they had a nightmare experience with David...

It's a crazy, unprecedented situation, made worse because Derek looks like a legitimate NFL QB.

With drafts, specifically - I just don't think it's fair to grade teams via hindsight. Or, at the very least, to pretend current results were somhow known/easily predictable at the time of the selection. Soooooooooo many things can go right/wrong...

Not exactly; he spent a year trying to save David Carr's career first, THEN got Schaub.

But, again: who was available? Point out the Matt Schaub of this era. The only guy that comes even close is maybe Kirk Cousins - and we have no idea if he was available.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I bet the Pats would trade Jimmy G for the same sort of package that netted Schaub (and he would be almost exactly like Schaub was... going into 3rd year, limited actual NFL experience but scouts/coaches talking him up based on training-camp/pre-season/practices).

If Brady really believes he can play another 3-4 years at an elite level, then Jimmy G's value will merely depreciate every year he's NOT their starting QB. Remember, the Patriots lost their first round pick this year for deflate-gate... so there could be some mutual interest there (there's also clearly an established relationship between the two front offices).

On the flip-side, we've all seen how some guys allofasudden just lose it, look old, and perhaps the Patriots front office is hedging their bets of that happening to Brady.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You get compensation picks for certain FAs leaving. By cutting them you don't get that compensation pick.

I agree with you on the draft, but just taking a guy completely off the board is bad drafting. I think Morey or Luhnow wouldn't care what the fans think and draft the best guy. Heck, Luhnow didn't even bother signing one of his top picks one year and Morey is always letting fan favorites leave.

I don't know who is available. Did we even know Schaub was available at the time? There were rumors but no one really knew.

8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Hypothetically if we had taken Mack and Carr in 1st and 2nd round on 2014, how far do you think we would have gone last year?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

About as far as if we had just taken Carr in the 2nd round.

10. Chilly_Pete

Ok so how far is that?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well at least the 2nd round of the playoffs because given the schedule, the team probably gets a bye.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no question that the decision to roll with Hoyer instead of an NFL caliber starting QB is what sunk the season.....but the team was good enough to salvage it with the better QB's the team signed off the bench only to have Hoyer back in the playoffs to embarrass the city.

Going from Hoyer to Carr is worth at least 3 or 4 wins.

13. Chilly_Pete

Not to mention the fact that we aren't looking to draft a QB this draft if we had Carr. Now we would be able to take BPA with our 1st rounder.

14. TheresTheDagger

Now lets turn this to how Patriots fans would respond. They would be upset, angry, and rightfully calling for heads to roll and players to be traded.

But they don't. And the difference is they don't have to because they have an organization that knows what its doing. This idea you seem to support that mediocre to "almost" good is good enough just doesn't cut it for me. Winning organizations NEVER think like what I quoted you saying above. You seem like a good dude Hey Now...but stop settling for "almost" good enough.

15. J Hard

J Hard Member

The annual copy paste quote. Screw this r****ded owner and franchise.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Having an All Pro at OLB with 15 sacks to match with Watt could have made the defense comparable to the Broncos. With Mack and Carr this team could have been in the Super Bowl. Funny how a few different moves could have changed everything.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mack's production was essentially in line with what Mercilus did with the exception of the one crazy 5 sack game. That one fluke game aside, the Texans already had Mack's production without having to draft him.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, Mercilus had about 30% fewer snaps as well.

19. Chilly_Pete

I think with Mack and Carr they at least make the AFC championship game.

20. Chilly_Pete

They had Mercilus when they drafted Clowney so by that logic they shouldn't have drafted him either.

Also I would love to have a player get a "fluke" 5 sack game.