1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SK34

SK34 Member

What are your top 5 songs to listen to while lifting?

2. SK34

SK34 Member

Been consistently working out for the past 2 and a half month...

Rechecked my body fat percentage and it has increased? .... but I when i look at myself, i feel as i have lost more fat? ....

3. AFS

AFS Member

Have you been tracking what you're eating and your macros?

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Have you been taking pics for progress?

5. SK34

SK34 Member

From time to time. I mainly try to eat healthy but it's not very consistent.
    I'm eating the same thing I ate before I started lifting consistently but just a little more to fit the workouts I do.

No. Is that the best way to know?

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Been increasing intensity and weight over the last 8 weeks and I haven't had any re-occurrence of my old chest injury. Thank god.

Getting close to what I was lifting before but still have a little ways to go. I'm not too concerned with body fat at this time since it's a terrible time of year to cut given all of the holiday parties/drinking/eating. Mostly i'm just glad to be getting strength back without aggravating my injury.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I've gone from listening to music w/lyrics and Rap music in general to mainly instrumental stuff.

Check out the HBO Hard Knocks/NFL Films soundtrack. Some great music on there that will get you going while working out imo.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

for the last year i have been listening to a Glitch Mob pandora station. personally works great for me.

9. SK34

SK34 Member

Cousin from Pakistan wants some protein shakes and such. He said, he is lifting and wants to lean. What types of protein drinks do you recommend that is fairly cheap? $20-$35

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Foodtown shopping lately. Their chicken beast is ridiculous cheap and produce section as well.

12 chicken breast and delicious brocoli for about $8 and last 3 days +.

Meal 1: 1 banana, this thing curves my morning a petite away from 3 bowls of cinnamon toast crunch.

Meal 2. Chicken and brocoli. This stomps any cravings that I may have in the future.

Meal 3. Orange and protein shake

Meal 4. Baked tilapia and steamed veggies.

Meal 5. Protein shake and fruit.

There you have it. The meal plan of the gods. I'm hooked on it. I've lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. Make sure you lift too for this to work. 4x10 preferably.

11. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/your-healthy-grocery-list-and-recipe-guide.html

Im a girl but this list is pretty universal and a good place to start.
    If you dont already eat healthy, it will take a few weeks getting used to while your taste buds learn to like vegetables and fruit, it gets easier. also, incorporate some juices and smoothies here and there throughout the week and u are good to go.
    Allow yourself a meal or 2 to eat what u want, or u wont stick with healthy eating for the long term.

12. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

does anyone shop at fiesta? whats a cheaper alternative to Kroger/HEB? no raise this year and rent went up so i gotta make due with less $$

13. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

i should clarify, I meant allow yourself a cheat meal or 2 every WEEK not every day ;)

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Foodtown. I've heard about foodaram and Joe V"s but never been there. Sprouts too. Where you live?

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

A good way to get in decent shape...10,000 steps a day...with both walking and running. Slowly increase the amount of time running as you improve your conditioning. Then, I lift weights once or twice a week (while mixing in walking/running in between sets) with 2-3 seconds up and 4 seconds down on reps...2 sets per exercise trying to focus on major muscle groups. I feel great and you can see your body tone change. Would be much better and more effective if I had my diet under control. The big thing is it feels manageable and I'm not doing so much to where I burn out. This may be peanuts to some of you who are already in great shape but for those who consider themselves overweight and not in great shape...this will get you on your way. It helps to have a fitness wristband that tracks steps so you are not guessing and helps you stay on track/motivated. Do a month or two of 10,000 steps every day (approx. 5 miles a day)...and tell me you don't feel great and notice a big difference overall.

16. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

west side .. energy corridor
    ive never heard of sprouts, ill look it up

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I'm absolutely addicted to skipping at the moment.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sprouts is incredibly overrated IMO. A friend of mine had me pumped up to go there and it was a big letdown. Nothing special at all.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sprouts is a cheaper version of whole foods. ha! I work were you live. eldridge right?

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

One of the big things with building up your running endurance is simply "time on your feet" instead of speed or even distance. Simply work at extending how long you can run, however slow you need to go to do it, can be more beneficial than trying to extend how far you run.

I haven't chimed in in awhile. I started running in January and I've lost nearly 50 lbs this year. My last race was the Katy YMCA Turkey Dash 10K. I finished in 46:42 (7:31/mile). 135th out of 1,124. My next race is the Katy Half Marathon in February. My first half.

In training, I recently set personal records for time (2 1/2 hours, 3 weeks ago) and distance (16.16 miles, last Sunday).

I've already qualified for guaranteed early entry into the 2016 Houston Marathon, which is what I'm building up to. I could probably run one now, but I set a goal of not wanting to do it until 1) I qualified (instead of simply getting in though the lottery) and 2) I could finish in 3 1/2 hours. Based on my last race, my predicted marathon time is about 3 hr 35 min so I'm pretty much already there a year out from the race.