1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Xerobull likes this.
  2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Yup... It's gonna vary from place to place. Was more worried about my gym because the other two gyms nearby (Gold's and 24 Hour) both closed permanently earlier in the pandemic. Will see how it plays out. If it gets too crowded or folks become to comfortable, I'll just bolster up the home gym.

Being labeled as ridiculous, not smart, and questioning someone's work ethic when wearing a mask simply because you refuse to or can't do it is not constructive. It's not even criticism. It's simply a dick move.

This thread had been helpful and supportive up until this point. Now it's a mask debate thread.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

Call me a dick all you want, I'm not debating masks wearing. I go to LAF and I wear a mask, I pull it down to breathe through my squats and cleans because if I didn't I'd ****ing pass out. It's on for pretty much everything else. Maybe you have superior lungs to mine and that's great but me, and I'm only talking about myself, I simply am not able to complete my workout efficiently with a mask on.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You need to see a doctor if wearing a mask during that exercise would cause you to pass out -- I'm not joking.

5. Fantasma Negro

Maybe I do, I get light headed during powercleans even without the mask honestly

6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

That's different lol

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Maybe you need a Bane mask. Look at how jacked he is. And it makes your voice cool, too.

[​IMG]

#1387 Xerobull, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    NotInMyHouse and Fantasma Negro like this.
  8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Read my post again with emphasis on the bold.

Notice a theme? Clearly this is a personal viewpoint, and not criticism or judgement of others.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I was thinking about this and you're probably holding your breath at some point. Very dangerous, easy to blow an o-ring that way.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

My lungs are no more superior than the next guy. Point-blank saying that mask wearing isn't smart... well...

I took three different types of masks with me yesterday. A heavier cotton, looser-fitting mask, which will make it more difficult, a surgical mask, and one elastic, stretchy mask from a brand called Looka. The latter two worked was of I were wearing nothing.

I have no problem saying I misunderstood if your use of "I" was genuinely implied as you yourself. What made me think not was your phrasing and wording.

For me, it came off as passive aggressive, recommendatory snark that if someone doesn't do as you do, it's "ridiculous".

Again, if I took it wrong... that's on me and apologies if that's the case, but it wasn't clear as it could be implied otherwise. I'll do better from here on.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

gained a **** load of weight because of stress eating. My PCP jaw dropped when she saw that I went from 210 to 250 in like 7 months

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

After a really fcked period of time in my life, I finally gained weight for the first time, went from being a pole to a normal dad bod sized man. 35 pounds. I then lost 25 pounds of it, but regained it all due to depression/lack of discipline. Ready to lose all of it again and hopefully keep it down. Currently down about 7 pounds right now.

What helps me lose weight is doing the 1 meal a day thing. I've noticed that no matter how much I eat in the morning or for lunch I'm still hungry for dinner, and when I eat I always eat to get full and am having trouble cutting myself off.

To get around all of this, I don't eat a thing until 8pm, then gorge about 1500 calories in one setting, usually a big salad, with 2/3 meal plates. At that point I'm satisfied and stuffed, I got my calories, they were easy to count, and I stay full until I fall asleep. Wake up, rinse wash repeat. When I get hungry in the morning I just look forwards to my dinner.

For me, when I originally lost the 25 pounds, that method did the trick in about 2 months. So 3 pounds a week.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

I finish each clean with a standing shoulder press

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm also doing the one meal a day thing. And *gasp* wearing a mask at the gym. It literally doesn't impeded your oxygen intake at all, unless designed to do so.

Anyways, I'm doing a weight loss challenge with a friend. Need to lose 40 lbs still. Gonna be extremely hard for me to do because I only have about 30 to spare.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

mask does knockout your O2 sats by 5 points. So you'll be at 95 rather than 100%

16. Two Sandwiches

I've seen it demonstrated otherwise. I'm sure it depends on if you're wearing something closer to an N95, or a surgical mask that has less filtration, though.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

According to CDC data, for people under 50 y/o, deaths "involving" COVID have been roughly equal to deaths from pneumonia over the past year. And a lot of those COVID deaths were not the direct result of COVID -- the person just had COVID when they died.
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Would any of you be afraid to go to the gym for fear of dying from pneumonia? Of course not. Live by using data, folks. Not fear.

MIAGI99 likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm talking about surgical mask. The n95 might bring it down more. From my working experience I'm accustomed to seeing 94-95.

19. Two Sandwiches

I haven't taken mine when wearing it, but I've seen videos of people wearing three that are still registering 98-100. Are these people baseline 100?