1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you consider a QB change at this point?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Eric Riley, Oct 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider a QB change at this point?

1. Yes - Bring in Mallett or Savage

146 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No - Stick with Fitzpatrick as the starter (for now)

79 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

the guy who got benched for colt mccoy?

aka washington's 3rd string qb?

haha

2. Remii

Remii Member

I think it's a great idea... We can add to the collection of backup QB's we already have.

3. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Tirico said last night that he was told Mallett will start at some point this season.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Texans have a "plan"... this won't end well.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

O'B says Mallett is coming along trying to grasp the system and working on accuracy. He's gonna stick with Fitz because he grasps the system but is handcuffing the team? Just crazy! Why not further Malletts development by putting him in real game situations? Hell I dont mind watching a young qb develop, if its not Mallett after a few games then go to Savage. Its all we have left as Texan fans.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a class="hashtag" action="hash" title="#Texans">#Texans</a> Fitzpatrick stats: 88.2 rating, 65.1% completion, 8.0 yards/attempt. Each are currently career-best figures.</p>&mdash; AdamWexlerCSN (@awexler) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexler/status/525049016879296513" data-datetime="2014-10-22T22:20:15+00:00">October 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's nice.

He's still a turnover waiting to happen and I feel the offense has to be dumbed down.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

BOB went out of his way to get Mallet. Rumors were that he wanted him to start with, but NE played hard ball. Who knows. Anyway, we are getting very close to the "season is in the toilet" scenario. Therefore, let's see what Mallet can do. People on the board write him off as garbage, but I don't think that is fair. He was great at Arkansas (off field issues, yes), but has never had an extended chance in the NFL. Why not give him a Case Kenum like audition. What do we have to lose? This is the Texans, losing games is a lifestyle. What if he is actually good? Amazingly, he can throw the ball over twenty yards!!!

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've been saying all season to stick with Fitzpatrick as long as we were winning and had a postseason chance. I've always thought he gave us the best chance to win games this year, really a tallest midget situation at QB this year.

If we lose this week though, I would go ahead and pull the trigger. At 3-5 the playoffs become unrealistic so we may as well see what we have in Mallett. This season really becomes about shaping the core moving forward, whether we win 5 or 8 games is really insignificant.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We're not losing. We'll be 4-4 and BoB wants to win to show he belongs in the NFL. There are sooooooo many problems with this team, QB is hardly the biggest one.

11. msn

msn Member

Man I hear you, but
    [​IMG]

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Ryan Mallett: I’ll be ready to start if I’m called on

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 24, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT

AP
    Texans backup quarterback Ryan Mallett isn’t exactly campaigning to unseat starter Ryan Fitzpatrick. But he says he’ll be ready if that’s what happens.

After coach Bill O’Brien said this week that Mallett is putting in work in practice and getting better, Mallett said he’ll be ready to go if O’Brien hands him the ball.

“If it happens, it happens,” Mallett said, via the Houston Chronicle. “I’ll be ready. I’ll be prepared. I prepare like I’m the starter. I have since I’ve been in the NFL. I’ve just got to continue to do that and be ready when my number’s called.”

Mallett has never started an NFL game and has barely played, getting just a bit of mop-up duty during his three seasons as Tom Brady’s backup in New England. But O’Brien, who coached in New England during Mallett’s rookie year, has praised his work in the film room, and seems to agree with Mallett’s self-assessment that he’ll be ready. There’s a very good chance that at some point soon, O’Brien will call on Mallett and we’ll all see just how ready he is.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sure get Colt McCoy.

;)

DD

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You have to save your QB change for a team reset, like if you lose a couple in a row. If you are on a playoff pace you stick with the vet.

I would like to see Mallet come in for a series every once in a while or maybe just a play where you want to throw deep. If the DB's have to cover 40 yards it loosens everything else up.

15. Remii

Remii Member

I agree with this and I also believe because they traded for Mallet the Texans will not be drafting a quarterback with an early pick next year (probably not at all).

I don't believe the Texans are close to the season being in the toilet at this point. There a 500 team.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The biggest thing that will likely hold Mallett back on this team is how he handles a collapsing pocket/pressure.

Fitz is not having a whole lot of time to throw... and does an above average job of escaping danger. While Mallett has a stronger arm, it won't mean a whole lot if he's a statue back there that folds at the first sign of a collapsing pocket.

But like others have said, they won't make a change until its pretty certain that the season is over... and at 4-4, there is no way you can say that. A lot of football left to be played... some mediocre teams are going to improve/rise, while some "good" teams may fall back to earth.