1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you consider a QB change at this point?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Eric Riley, Oct 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider a QB change at this point?

1. Yes - Bring in Mallett or Savage

146 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No - Stick with Fitzpatrick as the starter (for now)

79 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. Remii

Remii Member

I happen to believe Cousins just sucks and Washington has no choice but to go to McCoy.

I remember New England throwing out shade during pre-season talking about how good Cousins was... And Washington was saying Mallet looks the part of a franchise quarterback. Two organizations trying to help each other find a sucker for a trade...

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Semantics, perhaps - but I wouldn't say he has us in games... I'd say he hasn't taken any games away from us. *That's* the issue; he's never going to be better than the team around him.

Speaking of strange logic - Tina Thompson?...

When did everyone collectively get together and close the book on Ryan Mallet? BO'B said the following five days ago:
    Does any of that sound appreciably worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick?

I think that's giving Fitzpatrick (who has admittedly exceeded my meager expectations) too much credit. Arian Foster, I think, is keeping us in games. Fitzpatrick is doing... just enough to not cost us games.

3. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

I didn't want the guy in the first place. We aren't going anywhere with Fitz. Might as well try to catch lightning in a bottle with Mallett/Savage. If they are a disaster, go back to Fitz. Cant hurt at this point because the season is basically over for the Texans to make a meaningful impact.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fitzpatrick's ability to scramble has been critical. He's giving us a shot to win the game, just need other players to step up... you substitute Mallett, you forfeit the pocket presence and are looking at an additional 2-5 negative plays per game. I just cant see it ending well. Right now BoB's job is still to win this year, Fitzpatrick gives them the best shot.

5. Major

Major Member

I think Colt's only a year older than Cousins, and while he struggled in Cleveland, he also has the "it was Cleveland!" excuse. Cousins has struggled in the Washington system, so he's the more known quantity there, IMO.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Say what you want about Mallet, but Fitzpatrick's pocket presence sucks monkey butt.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Agreed. The Washington Football Team should run the wildskin option read thingy with McCoy. Kid can scamper.

8. Hey Now!

Among the players that need to step up... Ryan Fitzpatrick. What winning plays has he made this year? Again, he's doing the bare minimum to essentially stay out of the way.

Yeah, sure - if we assume Mallett has nothing to offer... we know he has a better arm: does that not negate his *possible* lack of pocket presence?

How do you see it ending currently?... They're not going to finish 7-2; highly unlikely they'll go 6-3. What does 8-8 and 16 games of Ryan Fitzpatrick get you? I'd much rather be 5-11 and have an accurate assessment of Ryan Mallett... More importantly, I'd much rather be 8-8 with Ryan Mallett.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How about we just trade for Cousins?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>O'Brien says Fitzpatrick is their quarterback and says a lot of positions need to play better.</p>&mdash; Dave Zangaro (@DZangaro) <a href="https://twitter.com/DZangaro/status/524646028402651136">October 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

All I'm really hoping for is that O'Brien isn't stupid enough to let Fitzpatrick start next year.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

After last night, it's hard to argue.

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He's making the same mistake kubiak made...Fitzpatrick sucks..this organization is a trainwreck...

14. Hey Now!

What mistake did Kubiak make? I'm guessing - yawn.. oh, sorry - where was I?... it's committing to Schaub, who was a *vastly* better QB than Ryan Fitzpatrick has ever been - right? And while I see no reason to trot Fitzpatrick out there.... no one - not a single soul - thinks Fitzpatrick is a long-, or even mid-term solution.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The same mistake will be if he doesn't switch horses next offseason.

Kubiak never really had a legitimate high-ceiling alternative to switch to mid-season... because he never went out to acquire one.

16. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

the 2014 texans is a tryout team for the 2015 texans team.. only a selective few have guaranteed spots. We are wasting our time with fitz. These close losses could be great learning experiences for either of our young qbs. But we are losing with a veteran qb who's been losing all of his career. What are we accomplishing by sending him out there?!!!

I feel like these games are just being wasted. Why not develop someone while losing?..instead we're on a treadmill..Running in ****ing place...

And someone please explain to me why we didn't draft a linebacker.

17. Hey Now!

So this is a Case Keenum thing?....

Look, I'm in favor of Ryan Mallett - it makes the team infinitely more interesting. Having said that..... the team was 3-1. I don't know if losing three games by a total of 15 points to teams that are a combined 15-6 is a stinging indictment that the team should light its season on fire....

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious... if it's agreed that (1) Fitzpatrick is our best bet at QB this season compared to any of the young QBs on the roster now (and compared to any of the draftees in the past draft), and (2) it is unlikely we will be drafting in a position low enough to get Marriota or Winston, then are we not looking at Fitzpatrick starting the season next year? Because it is unlikely a Hundley or Petty will be starting from the get go, correct?

Or, are we trading for or signing another mediocre placeholder QB next season? And won't that push out the possibility of competing for playoffs yet another year?

This "kicking the (QB) can" down the road might get old...

19. Hey Now!

This is why the Fitzpatrick era does zero for me... I have no idea if Mallett is any good. But the possibility that he might be the answer is so much more valuable than winning 6-8 games with Fitzpatrick.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed... why go a high-water of 7-9 with Fitz and then be in the same position (needing both a placeholder and a development QB)? I'd rather at least have a shot at finding a development QB and go 5-11 (realistic that we would at least win two more games with either Mallett or Savage). I know the spin would be "we need to teach/create a winning atmosphere" but it would seem to lock us into mediocrity for at least another year or two...