1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela to RGV Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 10, 2014.

1. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

He's about to get called up to the big leagues if this Dwight injury is serious. At least he's putting up good numbers!

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if Dwight is gonna miss games, they have to call up Capela yes?

3. basketballholic

4. bmd

bmd Member

Highlights from his last game:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KSOMBho7lKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

17 points (8-8 FG, 1-4 FT), 9 rebounds, and 1 block tonight.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Clint Capela played 31 minutes. His minutes-restriction extended from 27 to &quot;in the 30ish range,&quot; per Nevada Smith. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBADL?src=hash">#NBADL</a></p>&mdash; Dennis Silva II (@densilva2) <a href="https://twitter.com/densilva2/status/559197942079164416">January 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eKAmdQTuWLU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Now it's time to call him up. Just gotta tell him to stay calm and get him some time with Harden for a alley or spot up shot. He seems to always come out with nerves. But I feel him getting a basket or two will calm him down.

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

DeAndre Jordan Jr.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Canaan and Johnson working well there with Capela. We have to bring them all up. The Rockets Jrs.

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd really like to see him get some game time with the starters.

Tell him unless he focuses on defense, rebounds, screens and rolling hard to the basketball plus running the court - then he's going back to the D League.

We worked very well with Tariq Black as our starting C... How many inches does Capela have on him?

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

All of those highlights are awesome. Does anyone know how he is contributing to the team when he is not making highlights? By that I mean does he know his defensive assignments? Offensive assignments? Does he pass out of the post on the double team effectively? Does he turn it over much? etc...

I'm excited watching his highlights but if he doesn't do the little things well, it will be very hard if not impossible for him to get any playing time on the Rockets this season. Having said that, I'm really excited to see him get his chance whenever that happens.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

RGV games can be found on youtube.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I've been watching the Viper games. Capela, in my opinion, is not close to being ready for the NBA. He's learning some things, but he has much to learn. Sometimes it appears he is just standing and watching others play. I want to see him learn how to get in position for rebounds. I want to see him learn where to go on offense. It's not unusual to see his teammates point to where he needs to go.

He scores most of his points on dunks, and shots a few feet from the hoop. If he gets his hands on the ball close to the basket, he has a physical advantage over many of his opponents in the D-league, and it leads to a dunk. He is having some success setting screens and then rolling to the basket. He hasn't really shown any offense other than right at the basket.

On defense he seems a bit lost. They are playing him as a center, so he mainly stays in the paint. He does get some blocks, and he snags a lot of rebounds. But, you have to remember he's not going up against NBA talent. He has a physical advantage in D-League that he won't have in the NBA.

He has good hands. He can catch the ball well. It also looks as if he could develop is offense away from the basket. It looks like he has a nice touch on his free throws.

He needs to bulk up to play center in the NBA. It looks like his natural position is center and not power forward.

I would love to see Hakeem spend an entire summer working with Capela. I think Capela has the natural talent to really expand his offensive game. Hakeem would be the perfect teacher. Hakeem is wasting his time with Dwight, but Capela is a blank slate and could learn a lot.

These are just my opinions, others may disagree.

#612 Rip Van Rocket, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

^^^ Most of the D-League beat writers seem to agree that he is still far from NBA-ready.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Easy there. You may be developing backup QB syndrome.

I wish the Dleague wasn't so bad that the stats actually meant something. But as of 2015 it's still YMCA all-stars with a few NBA sophomores sprinkled in.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rockets announce they have recalled Clint Capela from the NBA D-League</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/559400526954364928" data-datetime="2015-01-25T17:20:53+00:00">January 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Lightsnowaction

Looks like insurance for Dwight, kind of like Nick Johnson was for Beverley.

17. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

This is bad news for the Howard injury. Hopefully we can work him in tonight against the Lakers scrubs.

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

So no Dwight, then.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL @ post 612 and then 615. I don't mean laughing at the posters but the situation.

Good luck, Clint! We need the help.

20. NotChandlerParsons

I read on here he's grown to 7'? Is that true?