1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela to RGV Vipers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Just because he's being recalled doesn't mean he's NBA ready. If Dwight can't go, and if TJones isn't ready, then they just need someone in case of an emergency. I think he would be better off getting minutes with the Vipers than sitting on the bench with the Rockets.

I guess this means we will get to see a lot of DMo, Smith, and Dorsey. I was hoping to see TJones play, but they probably wouldn't want to give him many minutes anyway.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree and trust your viewing of the Vipers games. I just had to darkly laugh at the timing: your good, sensible, detailed post about why he should stay with the Vipers, followed shortly by an announcement of his call-up. Not laughing at you but just the sad situation.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The whole "NBA ready" statement is so ridiculous I roll my eyes everytime I hear it. Can Capela contribute to help the Rockets win? IMO yes it's possible if he doesnt miss defensive assignments and stays within his lane offensively.

Is this guy "Ready" to be an NBA world beater?? Obviously no but no rookies are. Even Wiggins had to find his roll the first few weeks of the year.

This is the perfect prospect that can "crawl before he walks" and still contribute.

1 person likes this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This.

The young man has some potential, I wouldn't be surprised if Morey wasn't starting to get calls from other teams about this guy. I hope we hold on to him.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup and both are struggling at times which should never happen if they really were ready to make the jump to the NBA. IMO Johnson is showing more promise because he actually tries (and sometimes succeeds) to play defense. Canaan is making some progress as a passer, but doesn't even pretend to play defense most of the time and all too often he ends up being just a chucker.

Capela's game is limited, but he has a real talent for getting blocks and is a spectacular dunker and decent rebounder. He could provide more than Dorsey a lot of nights, which doesn't say much, but it's a step in the right direction.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

With Howard out , that's hard to argue with - He cant be any worse than Dorsey .... can he ?!

But during the limited minutes he has gotten this season , his only contribution was soaking up garbage minutes. He definitely has some maturing to do before he's ready to contribute as a regular rotation player.

After watching him in the DL and those brief minutes of NBA action , I chalk up his performance to nerves , like he was over excited just being on an NBA court .... He couldn't even hit a FT (0-6) and he's a decent shooter there hitting 53-87 in RGV for 60.9%.

7. kemah

kemah Member

Watching the clips my first reaction was he ain't doing most of that in the NBA but it is time to see I guess.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly. If Clint gets minutes, we can expect defensive lapses interspersed with an occasional block and offensive ineptitude overshadowing a few promising moments. Remember how D-Mo looked in year one during his call-ups?

9. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Ive been high on this guy all year. I am confident he will pan out to at least to serviceable. Euro's seem to halfway know what they are doing half the time. Go Rox

10. indo

indo Member

Rockets recall Clint Cappella from D-League
    Jan 25 - 12:24 PM

11. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

If thats true. He's gonna be a monster in the NBA. He's very young, I think he still has a few more inches to grew.

12. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Fixed.

13. hookem89

hookem89 Member

Please let him play over Dorsey

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

So you want to lose, then? :eek:

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt there would be much of a difference between Dorsey and Capela, just two different flavors of suck. We'll probably have to play both because they are walking foul machines.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Except that Dorsey has NBA experience. Sure, he sucks, but he's far less likely to make stupid mistakes. (Still very likely, mind you, but less likely than Capela)

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just can't give Dorsey any credit for being a vet after that foul late in the Suns game that tied it up. Capela is about 5 years old but has freaky physical talent, Dorsey is just an old scrub. In a perfect world you don't want either to step foot on the court ever, Capela so he can develop more before being thrown to the wolves and Dorsey because he's just a god awful player.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man, I'm so glad this guy came over from Europe. The tactical coaching and fitness training he's going to get will serve him well at this age. He'll get a few games worth of NBA experience and a lot of repetition in the NBDL. He will get NBA practice time and learn what it takes to make it. Maybe even some work with Hakeem before next season. I have a feeling he'll have a big summer.

I'm really excited for next season. I expect him to be mostly lost in any NBA minutes this season. The guy has potential though. I think he can be Larry Sanders minus the motivation issues.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hey if we are really lucky, and it looks somewhat possible, this whole year could be known in Rocket history as the year we drafted Clint Capela.

Please

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think Clint can do much at all right now, but I wouldn't mind him getting a few minutes against the Lakers. I hope he will surprise me and show some improvement, if he plays in this game.