1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Trading the #18 Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ghettocheeze, May 20, 2015.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

18th pick and TJ... with prigs and papa's expiring contract to match salaries (plus they are good players) as a package for lowry . due to salary matching we'd need to sign the 18th pick to add the salary to the trade.

same package for jennings, but i'd want the 38th pick and next year's second rounder coming back.

or package TJ and 18 to the suns for #13. and from there maybe even use #32 (and future picks if needed) to jump to #10 from miami who might value more picks to add some depth and youth.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Who would you go for at 10? It's not a bad idea, but this is a rather shallow draft.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think we can acquire Lowry for a Bev SnT, 18th pick, jones And maybe nyk2nd type package.

Im hesitant about Lawson because of size and defense.

But im allll for trading this pick. I understand the argument about rookie contracts coming into the new can and what not. Im just not willing to wait and see if my late 1st rd pick turns into a contributor. We need a little extra help.

I would love a Danny green, belinelli, unleash type player for our nyk2nd as well. I would enjoy a wes Matthews, Korver, redick or heinrich type player even more sooo.

4. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

We all know what Morey is going to do, best available at 18 he takes regardless of team needs. No rookie at 18 is expected to contribute immediately on a playoff team.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think at 10 (or 13) there are a few people that could make an immediate difference such as cameron payne, miles turner, frank kaminsky, etc... while guys at 18 will just be a 3rd string addition for a year or two.

further, i don't see jones making a big jump next year. i think he is what he is, and he will lose minutes to dmo and capela. i think its worth moving him now rather than having to pay him next summer.

so jones and 18 for 13 makes sense for a big with more upside (and a new rookie contract), or a PG who could end up starting.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree. I see a lot of things he does that translate well to the league.

A second unit of KJ, Looney, and Capela would cause all kinds of havoc on defense.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

We might have some trouble trading the pick for something of value, as Sacramento, OKC, and Detroit all have better picks and will likely be looking to trade. Plus, it seems that in the current NBA landscape, fewer and fewer rebuilding teams seem to have veteran talent. We either have to hope a playoff level team blows it up or hope that one of the young upcoming teams falls in love with someone at the 18th pick and wants to trade their current point guard (which is extremely unlikely).

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But OKC is the only one of those teams that is in a similar place to us. Healthy, they are contenders. Detroit and Sacramento are young rebuilding teams looking for quality young players to add to their young cores. OKC and Houston are contenders looking for the one piece to put them over the top.

And the best part is OKC doesn't have the same needs as us. With Westbrook at PG and Ibaka at PF it's not all that likely they'll be targeting the same players as us. I'm not that worried about these teams having more to offer than us.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

we have a few trade exceptions, anyone know how long those are good for?

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

every year a bunch of teams say they are open to trading the pick. maybe one actually finds a taker. most of them will realize that teams with good players want to win rather than hit restart with a lotto pick.

also, to get a good player in return, you have to have cap space or be able to match salaries. the thunder have neither. after kanter is resigned they will have 4 players making between 10-20 mil. can they really package their pick and some players to take on another large salary? probably not. the kings wont have enough cap to absorb a big time player, one worthy of their lotto pick. and they only have bad contracts to offer for salary matching.

ive read that the raptors might be blowing it up, moving lowry and derozan for picks. same for the nuggets with lawson and manimal. one possibility is derozan to the pistons for their pick. pistons have cap space to absorb his contract and a need for wing scoring.

besides that, i think the rockets can offer #18, jones, papa's NG contract, and prigs in a trade for lowry, lawson, manimal, or jennings. that package can help with the rebuild in toronto or denver, but can also speed up the rebuild in detroit.

11. malakas

malakas Member

OKC has some little fat to shed still but doesn't matter. They want to draft a young guard and it will be between Payne and Grant imo. They won't trade this pick that will probably be the best they will get in a while.
    The Kings have plenty of contracts to send out to match salaries and their pick is so high that the other team will most likely have to take their bad contracts to equalise the value of the trade. ie in a deal for the 6th for Lawson Denver would have to absorb Landry etc to make it equal value, no matter how good Lawson is he's not worth the 6th.
    Never heard of Derozan to the Pistons. They have KCP Jennings and Reggie and can take Hejonja,Dekker etc there is no need for an inefficient chucker like Derozan who will need to be paid lots of $ next offseason.
    If Masai manages to trade DD for such a high pick then he will have commited grand robbery.:eek:

12. malakas

malakas Member

I'm not sure but I think they expire by the end of free agency.

13. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

And I think Llull becomes a much more valuable trade chip and one we are willing to deal if we are getting a starting PG in the trade. #18, TJ, Papa, and Llull for Lawson or Lowry is pretty solid.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Only if Llull commits himself to coming to the NBA, and that too probably after seeing him play first.

15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Bledsoe just made my heart jump and got me hard. Don't play with my emotions.

16. basketballholic

We're not trading the pick for Lawson, guys.

17. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

The Rockets will not get an All-Star PG like Lowry for #18 plus the 3 worst players on the roster. You guys remind me of the losers in fantasy sports who make these stupid trade offers.

No rookie PG save a DRose-level elite can expect to lead a team deep thru the playoffs. Trading is the most likely. The Rockets will need to decide if Beverly is their guy, or Liull. Beverly can D up but is this enough?

I'd like to see the Rockets make a play for Embiid, who is in the doghouse at PHI due to being overweight and lazy, where they have an abundance of size. Maybe #18 + a future protected #1?

18. malakas

malakas Member

How is it possible that the first paragraph and the third are part of the same post made by the same poster? :confused:
    You think that Lowry >>> Embiid?

19. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Two first-round picks is a big offer if they have given up on the guy.

Yes, Lowry is worth more than Embiid, by the way.

20. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Apology- I can't edit posts.

I fully expect the Rockets to go big with the pick if Grant is not there.