1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading the #18 Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ghettocheeze, May 20, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Denver doesn't want to make the playoffs. They are in really bad terms with Lawson and he pushes for a trade very very much. They said publicly they want to rebuild around Nurkic and Gallo.
    Toronto is open to trading Lowry because of locker room issues.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

This draft looks halfway deep so you probably get a similar talent at #32 compared to what you'll get at the 18th pick, you know someone is going to fall out of the 1st round that is a real 1st round talent and hopefully Morey is there to scoop him up.

3. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I really like it from a strategic standpoint, but you never really see picks get shuffled around that emphatically. I think bringing those assets straight to Denver or Toronto and letting them decide what to do with them is a more likely option. But I think your's is a really well thought out, logical scenario.

Toronto is going to transition towards a rebuild and needs young talent. With Amir/Hayes/Hansbrough/Valanciunas/Stiemsma out of contract, you would figure they'll have some choices to make and probably would like a young, athletic big that still has potential like Jones.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

The window is NOW!

Every draft there are maybe 4 or 5 guys that have evident NBA skills and look like they can contribute in their rookie season - and even some of those turn out to be busts - and none of em are available at #18... after the top 10 it's a crapshoot at best...

You trade every available asset you have... stashed euros, draft picks, future draft picks, etc.... to get a known commodity that has shown the ability to perform at this level.

#18, #32, future picks, TJ, maybe even DMo or Capela... whatever it takes to get us a top 10 pg before the start of next season - ALL IN!

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

another reason that it might be in the rockets plans to trade the pick, is the fact that we dont have roster space.

i think brewer opts in and decides to be a FA in 2016 when he can cash in. MLE for smith, resign beverley, and now the rockets say they want to resign terry. the only roster spot in question is mcdaniels, and we have 2 picks in this draft. that puts us at 17 players. even if we dont resign KJ we're at 16 players.

i fully expect jones to be traded rather than let me become a FA in 2016. he's the 3rd best PF on the team anyway. to get a good player back we will need to add a cap filler (papa). also, we need to win now, so developing a high pick isn't the best plan, but #18 is a good trade chip to add with this package of a young player and cap relief.

i think this is the obvious package when looking for PG or PF upgrade.

6. malakas

malakas Member

You're right such pick trades involving many teams don't happen often. Maybe involve Washington only if the target is Lawson. Denver has Faried and though he wants a trade I doubt anyone will get his contract anytime soon with the kind of season he had even though it isn't "poison pill" anymore after July.
    (BTW Valanciunas from Toronto is their "fanchise" player but surely they can use Jones. He will be a good fit, though rumours have it that they are after Taj Gibson for Ross. If they do that, I don't think Lowry will be traded).

So I think the most available pg of all under contract at the moment is Lawson.
    Morrey can do the Hinkie trick and if Washington is not convinced by draft time to aggree to the trade , get the last good pf with the 18th and blackmail /strongarm them into trading their pick. This has happened some times in the draft.
    We know that Washington needs to get a pf, and that the GM of Washington drafts only for need and always get the most NBA ready at this point. If Portis, Looney and Lyles are all taken by 19 then Washington will have no choice but to agree to the trade. Same as Hinkie did to Orlando last year, and what happened in the Mayo/Love trade.

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Only in your wildest dreams.LOL

We will not be trading around like that.

Plus the Raptors just gave Lowery a nice contract, so they're not shopping him around.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Denver is focused on LA. They're trying to 'Ram' it down the NFL.

As for Lawson, he and Shaw were as bad a mix as he and Harden would be. Besides, he appears to be destined for Dallas or Sacramento.

Lowry? Hmm, that gent may be a Rock redux.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Lowry just might be acquired for Llull + Papa + #18. The demand may just not be too high.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Yes and yet he's still available. He has fought with coach and teammates esp Derozan. Casey will stay and Lowry will be traded if the right price is offered. If it was up to Masai he would have already be traded but it's the owner group the MLSE who have made a fortune that wanted to stay pat, and so the Raptors missed their only chance to draft Wiggins last year.

I don't see how Dallas can trade for Lawson. The Nuggets want multiple picks like what they got for Mozgov and Dallas has nothing good to offer.
    Sacramento is the only real danger to get Lawson.

The demand won't be too high because there aren't many teams like Houston who need a pg. However Llull won't come over(according to cyber) and with such a low price Masai will keep him until at least the trade deadline to find better offers.
    The price the Rockets will have to pay for Lowry won't be as much to beat other teams, but to convince the MLSE to trade him in the first place.