1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trading the #18 Pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ghettocheeze, May 20, 2015.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I know this board is busy coming up with the next great Rockets prospect in the upcoming draft and I don't want to distract everyone from that, but I would like to discuss the possibility of trading this pick.

After having gotten to the conference finals, we are in the last stages of our rebuild and should be looking for last minute retooling to make a championship run shortly. Therefore, I do not see Morey keeping this pick or stashing it away for the future. It's time to cash in all our chips. There is enough value in the pick to be packaged together with our other high performing assets this season to make one more push at another big name contributor this summer. We simply cannot wait 3 to 5 years for a draft pick to develop and contribute.

2. newAge_Rockets

Morey just isn't the kind of guy to trade draft picks IMO. They're cheap, team controlled assets! He's not going to make a decision in favor of the short term.

3. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey has stated before that playoff contenders often make the mistake of not making these valuable picks. Like the above poster stated, a late 1st rounder is a cheap contract for at least 4 years.

If we "hit" on this player, it can help a team in so many ways. Think about this. We have Capela locked up for 3 more years at less than $2 million per year. That is insane. On the open market, he may command $10 million per year by the way he's playing right now.

Also, Morey's draft history is literally filled with mid-late 1st/early 2nd round steals. D-Mo, T-Jones, Brooks, Landry, Parsons, Capela, Budinger, Black (undrafted) etc. This is not even counting players like Cannan or Nick Johnson, who can both still become rotation players.

4. micah1j

micah1j Member

Agree. I don't see anyone in the 18 area that seems like a difference maker any time soon. Package it with KPapa, T Jones and other filler for Ty Lawson.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Doesn't take 3-5 years for a pick to develop.
    McHale is pretty good at developing young guys, and has a proven track record at developing picks in the mid teens range.

The player we draft is an investment for the following season (ej, Nick Johnson, Capela etc).

Having said that, if the right vet was offered for the pick, one would have to consider it? But I don't see us getting a better player than Brewer for the 18 pick, and KJ McDaniels has more upside - so better off just keeping the pick and keeping one of those guys.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I'm sure Morey will be looking to make moves to win now, but he won't make bad moves. He'll use the pick first.

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I can see him packaging the pick and players for an upgrade. I prefer pg. I have heard of rumblings that Lowry may be shipped out. Lawson is likely available. Rubio as well I imagine. Bledsoe could be a dark horse or Jennings.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Add Teague and Jarett Jack and take out Rubio.

The 18th pick will offer a Jones replacement in one of Looney/Lyles/Portis or the left over of the second tier of guards. Most likely the worst of them Tyus Jones.

9. basketballholic

Where are you getting the Lowry rumors?

10. malakas

malakas Member

It's true. Everything that comes out of Toronto says that one of Lowry and Derozan will be shipped. Lowry has fought with Casey and dished him publicly after their elimination and has divided the lockeroom all season long.
    But Masai is no idiot. One bad pick as the 18th won't suffice.

11. basketballholic

If Kevon Looney is on the board at #18, he could be a serious difference-maker.....as a rookie.

12. Nook

Nook Member

There have been several reports he could be made available depending on whether their GM wants to retool or rebuild.

With Casey coming back I think it is likely they hold on to Lowry.

I am sure Morey would love to package #18 with other assets to get Lowry or Lawson. I don't know think either is going to be moved on draft night.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Looney is a possibility. He is an underrated shooter.

I still think the Rockets will target Lawson based on availability.

14. basketballholic

I could see Morey wanting Lowry and being willing to give up 18 and whatever else for him.

I don't believe Morey is seriously interested in Lawson enough to give up 18 and other assets for him. Lawson doesn't play defense. And we need defense at the 1.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I think they should keep it or try to trade it with Terrence Jones for a top pick between 8-12. They should try to draft Cameron Payne I think this dude will be the sleeper of this draft. Jerian Grant is another player that would fit in with the Rockets. I don't think is a good idea of trading the pick. There's a lot of good players coming out in this draft especially at point guard which is a position we need.

16. malakas

malakas Member

Disagree with Looney being a contributor as a rookie. I think that would be Portis. Looney is too raw.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Just out of curiosity, and no I'm not suggesting this, just wondering so don't attack either, but would Dmo net us the NY's pick?

18. Nook

Nook Member

Lawson has warts. His defense is below average. He is small and he has off the court issues.

However he can create for himself and others. He doesn't turn the ball over. He is excellent in transition. He is close to an elite player. His contract is excellent.

I think at the end of the day, Morey realizes this is his best bet at a third elite player and the cost won't decimate the existing team and his cap hit is palatable. Maybe someone comes in with an absurd offer and the Rockets turn their nose. However if he costs the #18, Jones and another asset, you have to do it.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Not even close.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Nope. Dwight could.lol at 4 you get Mudiay or Okafor. It's a 4 player draft this one.