1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I may lose my dog tonight :(

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SunsRocketsfan, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Very sorry friend. I know this pain all too well, after losing our 14 year old beagle in November of 2014, and our 13 year old in October of 2015, which was then followed by the passing of my father a month later. The grief of losing those we love, whether dogs or people, is incredibly difficult and painful. I still miss them all every day, but some days are easier than others. As you said, trying to stay busy is what helps us the most on the bad days.

As another poster pointed out, the Rainbow Bridge poem was very comforting for us after losing each of our beagles. My daughter was only 1 and 2 years old when they passed, but we still keep their memories alive with her through pictures, videos, and conversation. She'll often say that "Buford, Sampson (my dogs), and Pops (watch she called my dad) are my guardian angels." Comments like that make me smile and tear up at the same time. I wish she'd had more time with them to experience all the love and joy they brought to our lives.

Hang in there man, and wishing you and your friends and family that knew Yoshi nothing but the best during this difficult time.

1 person likes this.
  2. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

So sorry to hear about your loss, I truly feel your pain at the moment having lost our 3 year old German Shepherd earlier this month. Just remember every bright moment they brought to your life and the love they showed you every day. :(

My wife and I have a new German Shepherd puppy now, we are not trying to replace our girl but came to the conclusion we are "dog" people and have plenty of love to bring to another dog. Has been great so far but every so often I will call the new dog by the old dogs name and have to hold back tears.

#122 dockerland, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not to add to the melancholy, but this is a touching poem about a dog. It sounds like a lot of folks can relate. Maybe folks have already seen it. I just thought I'd post it anyway.

I'll spoil it because it may not cheer you up. It still tugs at my heart after having seen it many times. But in some ways maybe it's comforting to feel a kinship with others at times of loss like this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mwGnCIdHQH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. SunsRocketsfan

Sorry about your lost too. That's great you guys have opened up your hearts and to bring more love to a new lucky puppy. Hope she brings you many years of happiness and love as well.

5. SunsRocketsfan

Thanks for sharing the poem. That was definitely a touching poem and the dog sounds just like Yoshi. I too find myself constantly looking around the house for Yoshi and glancing over at his sleeping spots. I too imagine in the middle of the night waking up and patting his soft head. How I wish he was still here so I can give him the biggest bear hug.

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

SRF, sorry to hear of your loss. I'm in the same boat you are; I had to put our dog down 7/19. 8 year old Jack Russel mix. He developed a tumor in his face/mouth that our vet had actually never seen before. After a week of researching and conferring with other vets, she told us in March of 2015 that he had 3-6 months. He lived a year and half. His behavior, eating habits and demeanor never changed, even while carrying a tumor that was probably 30% of the size of his face. It began bleeding uncontrollably, the vet said she couldn't do anything to stop it because his skin tissue around the tumor was dying, so we decided it was time.

He was our kid before we could have kids. After trying for 4 years to have a kid, we didn't think it would ever happen so we got Cody to fill that void. He did that and more. 3 years after we got him, we finally had our first kid...but he'll always be our first.

I've had a lot of feelings of guilt being the one to put him down. Till the end, he was happy as a clam. Heck, even the ride in the truck on the way to the vet he was hanging his head out of my window enjoying the wind on his face. He was happy and playful in the vet's office leading up to the shot. The vet said it was time but it was still so difficult because other than the tumor, there didn't seem to be a thing wrong with him. Absolutely heart breaking to put a happy dog down. I cut the grass yesterday and didn't smell a fresh pile of poop for the first time in 8 years. Not smelling poop literally almost made me cry.

I'm glad for you that you got those 2 years. That time was invaluable for you and for Yoshi, I'm sure. Very sorry for your loss and I hope you find peace and normalcy soon. Be happy knowing that Yoshi is no longer in any pain....although I know that doesn't make the feeling of loss any easier to cope with. I hope you are able to remember the fun times and not focus on the difficult times. I've been struggling with that for the last few days as I was with Cody when he took his last breath. Luckily we have a lot of photos and videos of him when he was normal so it's easier to remember the good. I hope the same for you and yours.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

We are so sorry to hear about your loss and you'll never forget Yoshi and the time you'll spent together! We've had to put down two of our boxers and it's something you never forget; but that's a good thing!!

Reading about all the hard work you'll did to take care of Yoshi in his final time reminds me of what we did for our Yashi. As a matter of fact, here are a couple of pictures of Yashi in her wheelchair at the beach. Unfortunately she wasn't a fan of the water but she really enjoyed getting around in her wheelchair.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We lost Yashi late last year but the joy and unconditional love our pets bring us are the things we will always miss. I'm sure Yoshi and Yashi are on the otherside of the Rainbow Bridge now racing each other along the beach popping wheelies as we speak!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. SunsRocketsfan

We got Yoshi that exact same wheel chair!! same color and all!

What similar names.. Yoshi and Yashi. Hope Yoshi is enjoying all the new friends he's making.

Today is actually Yoshi's 14th birthday. Happy Birthday Yoshi!

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Sorry about your loss but your dog lived 2 more years and maybe reached age 14 before he or she died? A dog or cat is like a child. Too hard to bare the extremely sadness of such a pet passing away. I've only had hamsters and fish my entire life.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's actually not too hard imo. It's better to have had the years with the pets than to have never had them at all. All you are left with in the end is the memories and whatever support materials you accumulated along the way. That's life. I certainly wouldn't go into any pet situation and turn it down because of the inevitable outcome. The pain of losing the pet lessens as time goes by. If you were a good (not negligent or cruel) pet owner, then you can take comfort in the fact that provided your dog or pet a good life and a better life than it likely would have had otherwise. The fact is for every dog in a wonderful home...many other dogs are euthanized having never really lived. The greatest gift to a pet is providing them a home to grow up and live in while also treating them well. Those memories acquired during their lives make the end tolerable enough to repeat the steps all over again with a new pet. You never forget those last moments at the end with your pets. But, just the fact that you are there for them all the way to the end is a blessing to them and to you. There is no greater gift than to be there for your pet throughout its life and give a sh_t (and clean it up).

I put down my two dogs within six months of each other back in 2010. I would raise them from puppies all over again given the choice. It wasn't easy but it was rewarding for the companionship and fun times.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Yes very similar names with identical wheelchairs! Happy 14th birthday to Yoshi! It hurts a lot but at least you know you gave Yoshi the life and love that he deserved.

12. the shark

the shark Member

"It's actually not too hard IMO"? Wow...just wow!!!

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Depends on how your life is. For me it would be like losing a child. Dogs and cats are a who other level. Even meeting a stranger dog and spending 40 minutes walking and playing catch with it let me know that they are much more intelligent than my any hamster or fish I ever had. I would feel devastated for awhile.

14. SunsRocketsfan

Went on one of our old walks around the neighborhood tonight just no Yoshi :( Would do anything to hold him on his Birthday today.

Puppy Yoshi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Youthful Yoshi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Handsome Yoshi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lazy Yoshi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Senior Yoshi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good bye world
    [​IMG]

15. SunsRocketsfan

Just curious how did you guys come up with the name Yashi? I had relatives that used to call Yoshi, Yashi because they didnt know how to pronounce his name :p

16. SunsRocketsfan

Thank you for your kind words. Wishing you the best of luck to you and your family too.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Trying to bend my words' meaning into something else? The actual process of putting them down is very hard. But, in the grand scheme of things, you have to accept that as the eventual outcome of owning a pet. That shouldn't be an excuse to not own a pet and deprive yourself of the experience altogether. While losing a pet is very hard, to equate it to losing your human child...I don't get that. We humanize pets. That doesn't make them humans. Sure, the feelings can be similar but, if you are crying more for your dog than your lost child, then you should get some serious help imo.

I posted on this site back in 2010 trying to save my dog that had cancer. I did everything I could and it didn't work out. It was hard but that doesn't mean I wish I never owned my dog at all because it ended badly. That's all I'm saying.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I just wanted to say thank you guys for your kind words. It was a lot tougher emotionally when I first got the diagnosis. I've moved into the acceptance stage, but seeing this post just reminds me of what she will have to go through soon :(

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Yoshi was a puppy back in 2002? How old?

20. SunsRocketsfan

yes he was a puppy back in 2002. We got him when he was just 7 weeks old. 2002 is also the year I joined this forum. I was still in college at the time. I actually just noticed I joined in July 2002 the month and year Yoshi was born.