1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I may lose my dog tonight :(

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SunsRocketsfan, Jul 24, 2014.

1. SunsRocketsfan

RIP Yoshi - I will miss you

Rest in Peace Yoshi. 7-25-02 - 7-22-16

Thought I would update this thread with the passing my beloved Yoshi dog today. It's been almost exactly 2 years since I created this thread on 7-24-2014. Reading my original post, I am so glad we made the RIGHT decision to try and save his life with surgery. He gave us two more wonderful years of companionship, friendship, laughter and love.

Over the past few months Yoshi slowly lost mobility in his hind legs. He was having difficulty getting up and walking. But he was still his ever spunky self and still enjoyed food scoffing down food like no other. We got him a Walking Wheels doggy wheel chair and he was still able to go for walks. About two months ago he lost almost all mobility and strength in his hind legs but he was still able to crawl and pull himself around the house. We moved our bed downstairs again since he was no longer able to go upstairs. He always enjoyed sleeping with us so we didn't want him to be alone downstairs.

During this time he started losing control over his bowel movements but we didn't mind cleaning up after him and made sure he stayed fresh and clean. Things deteriorated rapidly and in late June I thought he was leaving us for good. He was no longer able to stand up at all and refused to eat and drink. His rear legs were super swollen and he looked to be in discomfort. Euthanasia had crossed my mind but somehow in his eyes he still looked like he wanted to stay with us a bit longer. We cooked some ground beef and surprisingly his appetite came back full force and he scoffed that down like the Yoshi we knew. We bought some electrolytes and liquids and hand fed him water. I was only trying to make him more comfortable while he was in the process of passing but surprisingly he actually got a bit better and he was able to sit up and he seemed to have a bit more left in him. He was still not able to get around with out our assistance but we made sure we turned him and helped him up constantly even in the middle of the night.

Yoshi always loved the outdoors and loved going out for walks, especially on longer trips in the car. We decided to take him to the beach every Saturday. We had setup a campsite and just camped out on the cliffs and on the beach for 3 Saturday's in a row. The first time Yoshi seemed to more energetic and genuinely seemed to be enjoying himself. The 2nd time he just sat in the sand enjoying and listening to the waves and the sun. He normally just lies down or sleeps at home lately but he was alert and up the whole time. Last Saturday he started to deteriorate again and lost most of his new found energy. He was no longer able to sit up again but he was still eating and drinking with some convincing from us. Our plan was to take him to the a dog park island tomorrow but unfortunately he never made it. He seemed to be in some discomfort the last few days so I called a mobile vet that specializes in euthanasia about the process. We were hoping to give him one more week but it looks like he decided it was time to go. We were debating about what Yoshi would have wanted and of course hoped he could pass away peacefully in his sleep but didn't want him to be suffering. We were struggling with the decision to euthanize him so it looks like Yoshi gave us one more gift and made that decision for us.
    I do not know if dogs truly understand what we are saying but when my significant other asked Yoshi if he was ready to leave yesterday his eyes widened and became alert and he used all his energy to put his paws in her hand. This was surprising since he didn't have any energy to get up more move his legs much anymore. She asked him several more times with the same response from Yoshi before he just got too tired and fell asleep.

So we have been coming home from work every day for lunch to care for Yoshi. Today when I got back for lunch break he didn't lift his head to acknowledge me. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at me and i tried to give him some water but he refused. His breathing then got heavy and I had gotten up to prepare him lunch but when i turned around he was gone. It seemed like he was waiting for me to come home to pass but I only regret i wasn't holding his paw during his last breath. I didn't know it would happen so sudden. I was still planning on enjoying one last weekend with him but now he's gone and the house feels empty. I miss him so much.

Yoshi really was the best dog anyone could have asked for. He was a big strong energetic Akita dog but had the biggest heart. He never hurt anyone and always enjoyed the company of people staying over. He truly enjoyed life to the fullest and was a strong minded and independent dog. We have many memories of battling and arguing with Yoshi. I know this sounds strange with a dog but yes we really argued and battled with him and he tested our patience often. He really was his own person with his own mood and thoughts. He was stubborn, he was rebellious and he loved to get in trouble but in the end he was the most loving companion and best friend I could have ever asked for. Yoshi always looked out for me and wanted to protect me. When going for walks he would always monitor where I was and always refused to go further unless he had me in his sights. I miss Yoshi so much and struggling with immense grief now. I know I will always remember all our special memories and will keep my Golden Yoshi dog in my heart forever.

Rest in Peace my friend.

Yoshi enjoying his last trips to the beach
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yoshi celebrating July 4th
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A tired resting Yoshi
    [​IMG]

Yoshi saying good bye to us
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were supposed to go here tomorrow. He still made it!
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

RIP Yoshi and deepest condolences SunsRocketsfan

3. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I'm sorry for your loss. Your memoriam post was very heartfelt. My eyes watered reading it. The grieving process will be difficult but just focus on all the time you had together and it will help ease the process.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm so so sorry. Anyone who knows me knows my undeniable love for animals, especially my dogs. I have had to put down a few, 3 in one year alone between mine and my parents. You can always get another but your best friend is irreplaceable. So glad Yoshi passed while in the comfort of his daddy, not alone.

Not gonna lie, I'm super teared up right now. My Boxer is laying beside me and I can't imagine life without her at all, I'm now super teared up seeing your beautiful eulogy. I'm so sorry friend. I know that pain and it's obvious Yoshi had a lot of love and a great family. Praying for you. :(

5. the shark

the shark Member

So sorry to hear this. I have to say that reading your story brought up when we went through this three times in 18 months with our pugs. It was the hardest thing losing all three of them, and I cried like a little baby each time.

I know your heart is hurting right now. Go read the poem called "Rainbow Bridge". It helped me. You shared a special bond, and as much as you gave it doesn't come close to how much they gave us.

Hang in there my friend. It's going to hurt a long time, but that's what life is all about. In order to truly love you have to be willing to crawl out on the branch to pick the fruit of life. Sometimes the branch breaks, but it's better then going through life being a tree hugger and being afraid to love.

Praying for you!!

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

So sorry to hear that. I lost my baby a few months ago. She had a seizer and passed on while on the exam table at vet. Just as the nurse walked out to prepare the shot to put her down. I wasn't even able to pull myself together to pay for the visit while at the counter.

So sorry to hear that bro. RIP Yoshi.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I read the first post of this thread and glad you're still keeping fond memories of your pup.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Our vet was kind and made a cast of my dog's paw print. Still sits on my desk. Condolences.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I can't start the thread I wanted to after reading this. :(

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss.

RIP Yoshi

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:( rip Yoshi. He lived a great life with a great family. Sorry for your loss, happy you had 2 more years since the original post.

My beagle is 10 and pittbull/beagle mix is 8 (the beagle's "pup").

Can't imagine the inevitable.

12. SunsRocketsfan

Thank you everyone for your condolences.

We took Yoshi to a Pet Crematory. He will be privately cremated and he will be back home again sometime next week. We also got a paw print in clay to keep forever. I was reluctant to come home tonight because I knew he wouldn't be there waiting for us. Even when he couldn't walk he would still lift his head and greet us. Now the house is so quiet and empty. I miss him so much.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

From your posts, we can tell you loved him deeply, and he lived great life with a great family.

Like I said, I couldn't even imagine the pain....but I'm happy you both had another 2 years together.

Seriously tugging at the feels... Hard to roll over and go to sleep now. :(

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ah, man. I'm tearing up. Beautiful dog. Lived a long life, and looks like it enjoyed it all the way to the end.

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. Adorable and happy.

15. val_modus

val_modus Member

Thank you for your eulogy; it was truly heartfelt. I recently brought home a baby pup myself, and will be snuggling a little tighter with him tonight. From the deep, meaningful eulogy, it is obvious you had a genuine love for your companion, and I respect the way you made his last years as meaningful as possible. You say you were lucky for getting to have him in your life, but I am sure he was just as lucky having such a compassionate owner to give him the life he lived. Sending positive vibes your way my friend.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

From the pictures and your words I can see that he was a beautiful, loving dog. My deepest condolences.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

My condolences. We had to euthanize one of my dogs in March. She was 15 years old but you just hope that day never comes. That day, I took her outside on the deck one last time and held her in her favorite blanket. It was a beautiful sunny day. There was a small breeze and she was sniffing the air, like she was just taking it all in. The whole thing was just soul crushing.

I still walk around the house and see glimpses of her in places she would sit or lay down or play. For a long time it's just hard to even talk about but at some point you'll reminisce about all the times you had with your dog and you'll smile. Best of luck to you.

#97 CometsWin, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

RIP Yoshi. Yoshi was equally as lucky to have a friend like you in his life as you were to have him.

May he find himself in dog heaven with never ending belly rubs and treats.

19. SunsRocketsfan

I'm not able to sleep. I miss Yoshi so much. I would do anything just to hug him again. Can't stop staring at his empty bed. He's supposed to be there sleeping right by our side.

[​IMG]

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Dogs are such amazing creatures. Ours transformed our family forever...I can't even begin to think of the though of losing him.

My prayers are wish Yoshi, he was fortunate to have such a nice and loving family take care of him.