1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Raiders trade CB Buchanon to Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by King of 40 Acres, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah he has alot of raw talent. I mean't he was one of the best young corners as far as making plays. Everytime he touches the ball he is a threat to score and Dunta is the same way so it should be fun to watch those two together. P.B. is also a great return man which means J.J. can now look for a new job. Swinton will handle the kick returns and P.B. will handle the punt returns. If we land Benson at 13 then I will give this offseason a B+ but I know that won't happen.

2. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

phillip buchanon is hailed as a potential shut down cornerback, he definately has the skillset. i think it was a good trade considering that cornerback is a position that's at a premium in the league now. since the illegal touching rule has been in effect, there's been a search for corners who can actually cover.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

For some reason, when I read this, I was thinking Ray Buchanon. I also thought I had read that we gave up our first rounder for him. I was about to flip. Then, I clicked on the link, found out it was Phillip Buchanon, and only our second and thirds, and I think the move was brilliant.

If Casserly can nab Mike Williams, I may piddle in my computer seat.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Unless some things change, P-Buc will never be an elite shut down corner in the NFL. I think he will be a pretty good CB, He has all the talent in the world, He's already scored an insane amount of TDs in the short amount of time he's played. Last year he sort of turned into this cocky kid with a chip on his shoulder and Al doesn't put up with **** like that. His "Showtime" bull**** got on people's nerves very quickly and nobody wanted his showboating ass around. I mean he makes one amazing interception return for a TD, then the next play he gets beat on a fly route by Corey ****ing Schlesinger. His nickname last season became "Burnt Toast". Tremendous athelete but he is still very raw and needs to work on his coverage skills a lot.

I welcome this trade since we desperatley need to add some youth on the defensive side of the ball (quantity wise), and with 2 more picks in the first 3 rounds. Best of luck to you guys with Phillip, You might actually get some punts returned more than 3 yards now.

5. MykTek

MykTek Member

i heard on 610 that buchanon was the 17th pick of the 1st rd in 2002.....so giving up a 2nd and a 3rd really isn't that bad.... he is a very nice addition to our team and he is gonna push Moses even more for the return role....

6. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I think the trade is interesting b/c this years draft is deep for DBs & Safeties. They could have drafted a quality DB/Safety in the late rds and then bring him up slow. I don't see Aarron Glenn hanging it up anytime soon.
    We could have use those two picks on other areas

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The guy seemed to be about even talentwise with Ed Reed (his college teammate) when they both came out of college, if I can remember correctly. I remember when he came out of college, he seemed like a can't miss. His rookie season was stellar.

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

He shouldn't have to compete with J.J. for the return job. I think the real push will be with Glenn for that starting corner spot.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Although the draft is deep in DB's, we are getting a guy that is proven. Its much more of a sure thing than a 2md or 3rd round selection.

Also, next year will most likely be the end of Glenn's run with the Texans, so we dont really have the luxury of drafting someone and bringing them up slowly. Buchanon can step right in and do the job, a damn good job too.

10. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This indeed is an awesome trade. I could not believe when I saw it the first time. This is a steal unless Buch has any injury or negative issues.

This cannot only make the 3-4 defense better (or have we decided to switch to 4-3) with young shut down corners. Now I hope we can trade down and get more players than picking a ware or rolle if he drops.

11. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Mike Williams will be a top 4 pick.

12. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I'll buy that.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Im very happy with this aquisition....like everyone has said Glenn can't play that much longer and we will have Buchanon who is not only a great DB he is a great returner as well (we don't really need that with the signing of Swinton and JJ) But he is going to give us a real formadable secondary...

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I really doubt this. I also doubt the Texans want him at 13 as they have talked about getting speed at the other wideout.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the trade, I am happy that the Texans solidified the defense and that he's cheap at a very expensive position. It doesn't seem to be a bargain or an overcharge. Seems about right.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Good trade. But I seriously doubt this guy will displace either Glenn or Robinson as a starter next year. At this point of their careers, I'd argue both are better than Buchanon is right now. Not taking anything away from Buchanon, though...this definitely addresses the future, considering Glenn is not getting any younger. But you better lock him down to a longer contract if that was the idea here...not sure how happy Buchanon will be about not starting this season.

As for whether this is a bargain...depends on perspective. If you consider they traded Drew Henson (a 6th round pick) to get this 3rd round pick they just traded to Oakland...then I'd say that's huge value. Ultimately, your team gave up a 6th round pick and a 2nd round pick to get a guy that's already proven himself as a starter in this league. Not bad.

17. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

He will the starter in the nickel package and step in for Glenn on occasion is my guess.

I really liked Faggins, but he is a quality backup for any of our corners.

Good move.:)

18. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

This is an awesome trade....just got back from vacation. I cant wait for football season.

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Now that's a pickup.

All the other threads of Texans signings I had posted, this is the best pickup.

Now all we need is that help on the OL, help on the DL, or a good WR in the draft or FA. This is a major step in the right direction to help our pass defense.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Are you talking about Buchanon or Moss?